Turmoil in the Golden Ring--A Slavic-themed game in the cold (IC Thread)

johnsemlak

First Post
The citizens of the Golden Ring have lived in peace and prosperity for decades. Invasions by the hoards of centaurs from the east, the villainy of the Kolduny, and the wars with western neighbors have been in the past for most people's memory.

Recently, however, some strange occurances have led to rumors that evil is now stirring again. In several cities of the Golden Ring, childern have been falling ill to a strange disease. Local Volhovy are unable to identify the illness, but suspect it is not natural. No one can be sure what the cause is, but some villagers are afraid again. And winter about to set in, and the local wise women say it's going ot be a cold one...

The campaign starts in one of Vladimir's most popular inns, The White Stallion ('Beli Kon'). A large inn in the town's merchant district, inside there are several full tables of Slavs, one table of dwarven craftsmen (a gnome sits amongst them) and a table of rowdy foreign men who appear to be Varangians (Vikings). There is at least one partially empty table. Many people are talking about personal busienss, though a few are debating the causes of the strange illnesses. Many people are drinking Medovukha, or weaker spirits, and feasting on dishes such as blini or pelmeni.

It is currently November. Full winter has not yet set in yet. Outside it is chilly but not freezing; very light snow has appeared recently but melted immediately.

OOC Thread

Last edited:

Yair

Community Supporter
Misha Yaroslav, Human (Slav) Paladin 3

Misha enters the inn and surveys the patrons. Crowded, but I'm tired. It will do. He picks up a large mug of kvass, and approaches one of the less-occupied Slav tables. "Hello friends, mind if I join your table?" he says as he slides into an unoocupied seat. He sighs as he lets his feet relax from the hard journey. "Misha Yaroslav's the name, a pleasure to meet you" he flashes his smile at them.
He leans his scythe against the table, the blade tucked down beneath his seat.

Last edited:

Nac Mac Feegle

First Post
Ivan Coldrunner, Slav Ranger 3

Ivan walked in the door, feeling the warth of the inn after a month out on the steppes. Chances are he would only be in town for a day and a night, so he intended to savor it.

"Bartender, a mug of Medovukha."

johnsemlak

First Post
Portion of the menu of the White Stallion

Garlic and Fish Broth 1 sp
Cabbage pie 5 cp
Buckwheat grits with onion 1 sp
Fried mushrooms, garlic, and onion 2 sp
Lamb stew with cranberries and dumplings 2 sp
Pelmeni (meat dumplings) made from Beef, Pork, and Lamb -- 2 sp
Blini with cavier -- 4 sp
Blini with honey -- 2 sp
Roast Beef or pork with mushroom sauce 4 sp
Roast Duck 5 sp
Roast Bear-meat 5 sp

Meduvukha -- glass 2 sp
Kvass -- mug 1 sp
Dwarven Peat Beer -- Mug 2 sp
Mors -- glass 1 sp
tea -- 2 cp

Last edited:

Ry

Explorer
Cholodny, Human Fighter/Barbarian

Cholodny already has a place at the partially occupied table, but he hasn't conversed with its other occupants for whatever reason. Since he's looking for a party to join, he's wearing his breastplate, and his glaive leaning back behind him. He's been at the inn for two nights. If another traveller - particularly an armored one - looks at his table, he'll flash them a grin, and push out a chair. Cholodny is drinking Dwarven Peat Beer, and eating roast pork with mushroom sauce.

Last edited:

Micar Sin

First Post
Burian Slavochka, Fighter 1/ Druid 2

Burian steps into the inn, wiping the moisture left by weather from his scalp. Glancing about a grin speads over his weathered face. I see nothing has changed since I came here with father A few long strides bring him to the bar where he gathers a plate of pelmeni and mug of Kvass. Spotting an unoccupied seat he quickly drops into it with a sigh, leaning his axe up against his leg. How is everyone this fine frigid day?

Last edited:

Yair

Community Supporter

"A bit weary, but it's warming up. Good kvass, no?" Misha answers Burian. He smiles amicably, but there is something calculating in his eyes, as if he is measuring Burian's worth.
Misha lets his mind focus on the entire area before him, as he detects evil to examine it.

OOC: Are we and Cholodny on the same table? If so and Cholodny invites him, Misha of course accepts and thanks him.

Last edited:

Ry

Explorer
Cholodny, Fighter/Barbarian

"Kvass is good, but pork is much better." says Cholodny, grinning as the others sit down at the table. "You had a long trip to get here?"

These two look like warriors.

Yair

Community Supporter

Misha nods positively. "All the way from Yaroslavl - though not directly. It's my first time here, and I must say it looks pretty impressive. I never saw a city this grand.
Are you a resident of Vladimir?"

His speech is somewhat slow at first, as if he isn't completely focused on the conversation, but by the end of his words he has obviously shaken whatever preoccupied him

OOC: Misha stops the detect evil after one round, to focus on the talk at hand, unless he senses lots of evil auras around.

Last edited:

Nac Mac Feegle

First Post
Ivan Coldrunner, Slavic Ranger 3

After getting some of the lamb stew and a mug of meduvukha, Ivan moves over to the table where the others are talking.

"Would there happen to be room for another cold soul here?" He inquires, grinning.

Remove ads