• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Turn Based Strategy Dying Out?

morrolan

First Post
PtW was an attempt to make Civ3 multiplayer. I haven't tried it, but most thought it just wasn't suited to MP, outside of Play by Email. Conquests has new single player scenarios, and a lot of new civs and units, plus the stuff from PtW, and is well worth getting if you are a Civ fan.

Theocrat

First Post
Civ III Conquests

Hi all-
I'll sell you PtW! Play the World is the multi-player aspect. But it also incldues several new civ's to play. I have never played any game via multiplayer. I can barely beat the 2nd level of toughness. With Conquests, it includes all of PtW. Thus the reason I think its a joke. PtW came out and was $30. I loved Civ that I didn't care - until I installed it. Conquests came out and too was $30. So the game is now $100 (if you bought Civ III when the day it came out). I don't think that Civ III + Conquests is worth all that. My local Fry's has it at $9 and $20 for Conquests - and that is certainly worthwhile. Esp. since I just paid $20 on ebay for Civ III (keep losing the cd's).
If you like Civ III and even in single player its worthwhile. I don't play the 'Conquests' aspects (where you run a WWII campaign, a Fuedal Japan, etc..). I like the added civ's, new wonders and so forth. The friendly people that make mods for it are great too.
Now my Persian Empire is off to finish those pesky Byzantiums!

trancejeremy

Adventurer
Age of Wonders 2 is okay, but it's no Master of Magic.

AoW2: Shadow Magic is the one you probably want, it lets you build cities from scratch. But the upgrading is still more like the Heroes of Might & Magic series, and the computer doesn't build them. It's really sort of a scenario based game.

Well, nothing exactly new, but there are some Jagged Alliance 2 Mods out there. Personally, I know only from Urban Chaos, but this already seems to be really good, though technically, it does not include anything really new.
(But you can build your own molotov cocktails and similar gadgets, and find a ton of new weapons...)

A newer game, similar to JA2, is Silent Storm. I already finished it on the Axis side, and it was fun.
The game proves that turn-based and 3d mesh.

trancejeremy said:
There was also Silent Storm, which apparently is somewhat X-com/JA like, but is a bit weird and buggy.
I found no serious bugs. I believe the game crashed once, and sometimes the pathfinding algorithm takes a bit to longer, so you have to wait. (Similar to Temple of Elemental Evil, with the important difference that the game doesn`t stop reacting to your input and informs you that it is still computing)
The only real problem is the same as with JA2 - the super weapons are to super - in JA2 you sometimes seemed force to use the Rocketguns (though you were able to complete without), in Silent Storm you will have to use a few Panzerkleins...

Mustrum Ridcully

Last edited:

Kaodi

Hero
4x

Speaking of turn based games, can anyone tell me *why* games like Galactic Civilizations are referred to as 4x games?

Lensman

First Post
Kaodi said:
Speaking of turn based games, can anyone tell me *why* games like Galactic Civilizations are referred to as 4x games?

4x Games (eXplore, eXpand, eXploit, eXterminate)

Last edited:

Schmoe

Adventurer
I've always been a TBS gamer at heart. I can't even begin to count how many days I've spent playing them. I loved Master of Magic, Master of Orion (1 and 2), the HoMM series, Warlords 1-3, Civ, Alpha Centauri, heh, I'm beginning to scare myself, so I'll stop now. Anyway, I just recently came across the demo for a game called Dominions II, by Illwinter Studios. Illwinter is a company of 2 or 3 people. The graphics are a little bit clunky, and the interface can be difficult to grok at first, and the game can only be purchased online, but from what I've seen so far, the game simply rocks. If you really are lamenting the death of turn-based strategy, check it out. If you are looking for turn-based tactical, ala X-Com, well, I can't help you out right now. :\

Shard O'Glase

First Post
If you got a console check out Gladius. Its a turn based gladitorial combat game with some story of stopping a dark god form coming back thrown in. Higher ground and other tactical elements are in the game. It takes some skill at console games because you have an effect on your to hits, from matching buttons in a time limit to just a simple timing of button hitting. Overall its a good game though Final Fantasy tactics advanced is a much more fun game of a similar style.

Silvanos

First Post
Anyone played Combat Missions? It is a strange mix, but very compelling. Basically the action happens in 60 second bursts, with a pause for orders at the end of each segment. So the battle plays out in real time. That is once your orders are in your units do that for the next 60 seconds.

Amazeing game.

Drew

PS Xcom 1 was the best damn game ever made.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads