• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Turn Undead - An Alternative?

DreamChaser

Explorer
too vague. what are you asking?

a different ability to balance clerics with the other classes? how bout a -4 to all actions :D

I like just having them channel energy.

DC

Jai Kel

Lurker Extraordinaire
Too vague, eh? Well, I'd like to remove the Turn Undead special ability from the Cleric class and replace it with something else.

Does anyone have experience with alternative special abilities for the cleric?

Planesdragon

First Post
Jai Kel said:
Does anyone have experience with some sort of alternative to the Turn Undead special ability?

Yes. IMC Clerics (and Paladins and Blessed) have a "Manifestation" ability, which replaces Turn Undead.

They have one free "Manifest Abiilty" power, and can gain more as feats.

Some manifestaions include Turn Undead, Rebuke Undead, Turn Celestial, Rebuke Celestial, Turn Fiend, Rebuke Fiend, Manifest Armor, Manifest Flame, Lay on Hands, and Inspire Rage.

If anyone wants the rules, reply. When I get home tonight, I'll quote the rules and post them as an attachment.

Aaron2

Explorer
Jai Kel said:
Does anyone have experience with some sort of alternative to the Turn Undead special ability?

I was thinking of replacing turn undead with one feat / 5 levels ala wizards. No experience though.

Aaron

Dr.Dan

First Post
Re: Re: Turn Undead - An Alternative?

Planesdragon said:

Yes. IMC Clerics (and Paladins and Blessed) have a "Manifestation" ability, which replaces Turn Undead.

. . .

If anyone wants the rules, reply. When I get home tonight, I'll quote the rules and post them as an attachment.

I would love to see these rules. Turn/rebuke/command undead is a fine ability, but it doesn't realy fit every faith well.

Khaalis

Adventurer
I use the same concept for a unique class I developed. It is called Channeling instead of specifically Turn Undead. I used this because not all Deities are concerned with Undead. It basically uses any Feat that "burns" a Turn Undead attempt to power the feat. This "feat" becomes the channeling ability.

Channel divine energy can be done the same number of times as Turning (3+CHA). This can also be increased by utilizing the Extra Turning feat, adding to the number of times they can Channel Energy regardless of what they use the channeling for.

There are four types of energy that the Theurgist may channel: Entropic, Negative, Positive, and Principled. This allows for an option of Lawful and Chaotic energy channeling as well as Positive and Negative energy. Principled and Entropic channelers may choose the Turn/Rebuke ability, but replace the ability to affect Undead, with the ability to turn/rebuke as follows:
• Principles channelers (Lawful) who choose to Turn/Rebuke may turn creatures with the Chaos subtype or rebuke creature with the Law subtype.
• Entropic channelers (Chaotic) may turn creatures with the Law and Chaos subtypes or rebuke creatures with the Chaos subtype. (Note that Entropic channelers are just as likely to fight other Chaotics as to fight Lawfuls.

Examples of Channeling:

Turn/Rebuke Elementals (from the Elemental Domain powers)

Book of Hallowed Might: Call Down the Divine Wrath, Redeeming Grace, Vow of Stability

Path of Faith: Additional Energy Type, Blood of the Martyr, Counterharm, Channeled Counterspell, Divine Competence, Divine Glow, Divine Sustenance, Fuel Spell, Harm Undead, Heal Undead, Holy Glow

Related Feats:

Defenders of the Faith: Empower Turning, Heighten Turning, Quicken Turning

Last edited:

Planesdragon

First Post
Sorry it took so long

Sorry I didn't get this up yesterday.

It's a OGL-released PDF. (OGL's on the last page.) Permission is hereby given to distribute this file verbatium, provided that a link back to my (temporarly out of service) website is included somehow.

(If you'd rather have a different format, let me know.)

Attachments

• manifest.zip
    48.3 KB · Views: 300

Gothmog

First Post
IMC, clerics no longer turn undead by default. I set up a system called divine channeling, similar to what Khaalis mentioned, but different. Basically, all clerics start with a number of channeling attempts equal to 3 + Cha mod. The types of channels they recieve depends on the Domains they select. For example:

Animal Domain: Master of Beasts- by expending a turning attempt, the cleric can turn/rebuke/command animals. This is handled exactly like a normal turning attempt. At 10th level, the cleric can affect magical beasts as well, although they are treated as 10 HD higher than their actual HD.

Destruction Domain: Weaken Object- by expending one channeling attempt, the cleric causes one object he touches to lose a number of points of hardness equal to twice his level for 5 minutes per cleric level. Magic items receive a save (DC 10 + 1/2 cleric level).

Evil Domain: Turn Good- the cleric may expend one channeling attempt to turn good outsiders, undead, fey, sprits, or divine creatures (including priests and paladins of good deities). The turning attempt is handled identically to an undead turning attempt.

Healing Domain: Divine Health- by spending a channeling attempt, the cleric or one he touches becomes immune to poison, disease, and ability score loss for a number of rounds equal to 3 + the cleric’s Wisdom modifier.

Luck Domain: Divine Fortune- by expending one channeling attempt, the cleric can reroll one roll that he has just made. You must take the reroll, even if it is worse than the original roll.

Magic Domain: Metamagic Master- by expending a number of channeling attempts equal to the metamagic feat desired, the cleric can infuse a spell he currently has prepared with ANY metamagic feat. The cleric doesn’t have to know the metamagic feat, although if he does, it takes up one less channeling attempt to use (minimum 1 channeling attempt).

Protection Domain: Divine Resilience- by expending a channeling attempt, the cleric gains a DR equal to his Wisdom modifier for a number of rounds equal to ½ his cleric level.

Travel Domain: Evasive Movement- by expending a channeling attempt, the cleric may move through opponent’s threatened areas without suffering attacks of opportunity for a number of rounds equal to his Wisdom modifier.

War Domain: Battle Mind– by expending a channeling attempt, the cleric may enter into an altered state of intense battle focus , gaining a +2 bonus to Str, +2 Con, and +1 AC for a number of rounds equal to 3 + his Wisdom modifier.

These are just a few of the channeling abilities I came up with. There are around 60 domains in my game, each with its own channel. I have been using these for about two years now, and so far they have been extremely useful to all characters who possessed them, but not overpowering. It also goes a long way towards keeping all clerics from being carbon copies of each other (a big problem in 3E and 3.5).

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads