• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Turn undead ?

Aloïsius

First Post
F4NBOY said:
Cleric makes a Turn Undead Check (1d20+cleric levels+cha modifier)
If the result is equal or more than the undead's Will Defense, the undead is turned.
If the result is 10 or more than the undead's Will Defense, the undead explodes.

simple, efficient. I approve. Only question is : how many undead are affected ?

Pyrex

First Post
Aloïsius said:

Easy: The one you targeted.

Then you don't need n/day uses anymore. Just use it at-will.

If you want more Zombie Stompin' Action(TM), let the cleric take the UndeadCleave feat, which lets you roll another turn if the last one succeeded.

Last edited:

F4NBOY

First Post
If the cleric can turn one undead per time at will, there could be a talent tree, considering they actually use talent trees, to focus on turning undeads, with talents for turning multiple targets, or other types of creatures, like evil outsiders, elementals, a talent to make the turn a swift action, or a special attack that if hits the cleric gains a free turn undead.

I'm sure they will come up with something pretty cool regarding turn undead, I don't think they'll get rid of it.

Horacio

LostInBrittany
Supporter
A per-encounter or per-day ability (spell, feat...), I don't know. But non a class feature, every cleric don't need to have Turn Undead.

Falling Icicle

Adventurer
I also think Turn Undead should be a spell or perhaps a granted power of the sun domain (if such a thing exists in 4e). Not all Clerics should have it as a central feature.

Grazzt

Demon Lord
Aloïsius said:

Make it a radius/area effect. Or a cone. All undead within the affected area whose Defense score is exceeded (with the single turn check roll) are turned.

Gothic_Demon

First Post
Turn Undead like Circle of Pro Evil

I'd quite like to see Turn Undead create a small circle (maybe increasing in diameter as the cleric levels) as the default. Maybe start at 10 feet (protecting just the cleric and those closest by), with the cleric being able to hedge out a set number of hit dice, and only creatures up to a set level (as now, so say the turning check indicates 2d6HD up to 3HD creatures). Then, any undead that gets inside can still fight, but everyone inside the circle gets +2AC and +2 to saves vs. the creatures abilities.

The undead don't run away, they stay dangerous to anyone outside the circle or who tries to fight them, and maybe they clamour to get into the area, a bit like the obligatory house with broken windows in a zombie movie.

Jefuri no Oni

First Post
I think Turning Undead really should be a spell that the cleric gets spontaneously rather than a class feature. It would be a first level spell, but it would be auto heightened (like some spells such as feather fall are auto quickened) so the cleric can dump any spell at any level to give turn undead a higher DC if he feels he needs to.

It could do something like all undead at range close make a will save or run away as if under a fear effect. If the cleric has twice as many levels as the undead have hit dice, than they are destroyed instead of turned. Rebuke undead would work in a similar fashion. Of course I'm still thinking in 3rd editon so turning could end up being something completely different all together.

Nifft

Penguin Herder
I like the 20th level class ability of Dread Necromancers (who "turn undead" in a mechanically sound manner).

Cheers, -- N

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads