• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Turning Evil

Supar

First Post
OK warning i do not want to see anything that is custom or homebrew we play by the rules, found in PHB/DMG/rules compendium. I want the rules interpretation and discussion on how and where they break down or if they are valid or not.

Recently my Chaotic Neutral favored soul turned evil. This turn is in relation to the way my char basically being a invisable coward, and also that i cast a buff spell on our party tank called Investure of the ice devil which is a evil spell from the book of nine hells.

I argue that i cast just as many good spells as bad. DM says casting a evil spell is a evil act

Its a late night i cant think of anyother factors but discuss and see if there is some ammunition in here that i can use to get my evil back to neutral. Our story hour is http://www.enworld.org/showthread.php?t=181237&page=35&pp=30

Maleketh

First Post
First off, being a coward does not make you evil - it's how you deal with the results of that cowardice that count.

Your DM is right that casting an [Evil] spell is an evil act, though doing so once, in my view, shouldn't change your alignment unless you're already headed well down that path. Note that if your deity is good-aligned, you couldn't have learned or cast that spell in the first place.

That's my 2 cents.

Arkhandus

First Post
One evil act doesn't turn your alignment evil, just as one good act doesn't turn your alignment to good.

Nowhere in the rules does it say that an evil act turns you evil, or that one good act turns you good. It would be impossible to be neutral if one act of good or evil were all it took to change, and villains would frequently do minor good deeds or cast minor good spells just to make sure that they don't detect as evil and to make sure that paladins and such can't smite them.

Direct your DM to the Descriptions chapter of the Player's Handbook, and the fourth or so paragraph under Alignment, where it starts with "Alignment is a tool for developing your character's identity....." The exact paragraph or wording may differ a bit between the 3.0 and 3.5 PHBs, so you'll have to verify the right one yourself. Anyway, that paragraph describes things for you.

Also, refer him to the Dungeon Master's Guide, in the Campaigns chapter, under Other Campaign Issues, to the section on Changing Alignment. Then point him to the bullet point where it says Alignment Change Is Gradual, and the one on Time Requirements, and the part Indecisiveness Indicates Neutrality. Have him re-read those sections.

irdeggman

First Post
What deity did your favored soul follow. This is the big key here, they cannot devote themselves to a cause and must have a deity.

A favored soul's behvior/actions are specifically tied to their deity.

This is the big question to ask - WWMDT (What would my deity think)?

If the character acted against the behavior of his deity then a change is difinitely possibel (as an act of the deity in question).

In many ways a favored soul's path is harder than that of a paladin.

Bad Paper

First Post
There are two ways to interpret the Neutral aspect of CN:
1) Teetering on the balance between Good and Evil, performing one Good act for each Evil act or vice-versa.
2) Ignoring the Good-Evil spectrum entirely.

If option #1 is cumbersome, and your deity/cleric don't actually care about the left-right spectrum of the Outer Planes, then #2 is yours. Stop caring. Just make sure your actions sit well with the other PCs.

The cleric of Fharlangn in my campaign hews to option #1; I don't force him to do it, and Fharlangn doesn't care, but apparently he enjoys the challenge. Gets him chicks or something.

Supar

First Post
Ok good points all i will fill in some blanks i am a favored soul of shandakal (think i spelled that right)

Also i have been casting this spell the tank for quite some time now so it hasnt been just a one time casting its one of the standard issue buff spells for our party. Dm made a good point when i argued that im not casting the spell for evil purposes but im am casting it for selfish purposes. As in they kill i make money from magic items items. Read from the book of vile darkness(or exalted handbook) slaying fiends is a good act and in the savage tides there are fiends a many.

Also as i read a favored soul the diety favors you you dont favor the deity so this being a harder path then a paladin i can not see.

Ultimate underlying question doing a good act for non good reasons or doing a evil act for non evil reasons does that not mark a neutral char?

moritheil

First Post
Supar said:
Ok good points all i will fill in some blanks i am a favored soul of shandakal (think i spelled that right)

Shaundakul is the patron of travel and exploration. I don't see anything endorsing cowardice, but neither do I see anything that demands fighting fair.

Supar said:
Also as i read a favored soul the diety favors you you dont favor the deity so this being a harder path then a paladin i can not see.

Yes, but I don't see why the wandering path of an adventurer would displease your patron.

Ultimate underlying question doing a good act for non good reasons or doing a evil act for non evil reasons does that not mark a neutral char?

Killing evil guys because they're in your way and you want to kill them is pretty CN.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads