• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Turning, fear, and running away.

Erithtotl

First Post
I've gotten in a debate with a DM of mine recently about this. I DM also and it occured to me that we've been handling this all wrong for quite some time.

Specifically, when a creature is turned, or frightened, or under any other affect that would cause them to flee, when does the fleeing actually occur? Does it occur on the fleeing parties' initiative or on the initiative of the person who caused the fear. And does it happen right away, or when the next initiative rolls around.

Previously we had been playing that the fear effect kicks in immediately and the victim runs immediately. But this makes no sense whatsoever. If they've already taken their full action for the round, how can they then move full speed away IN THE SAME ROUND?

Can anyone point to an official ruling on this, or give me a good explanation of how its going to work so I can win this argument?

DMFTodd

DM's Familiar
Fear and Turn

The EFFECT of the spell occurs immediately just like every other spell. So a Fear'd person has an immediate -2 on saving throws. Undead immediately Cower. The duration of the Fear is based on the caster and expires on the caster's turn.

To actually flee (Movement), requires a move equivalent action. You can only do a ME when it is your turn. So the actually running away doesn't happen until the Fear'd person's turn.

That's how we've always played it.

Vinyafod

First Post
They will keep their normal initiative an flee when it's their turn.

After all if you are confused you "act confused" when it's your turn. When you are charmed, you "act charmed" on your turn.
Any penalties for being feared, frightened, panicked, etc. apply instantly of course.

I don't have any rules reference for this but it's just logic I guess.

Murrdox

First Post
Right.

When you rebuke Undead, they can cower immediately, since it doesn't take any sort of an action to do so... but to flee, the Undead's initiative turn has to come up.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads