• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Turning off a Special Attack

sullivan

First Post
My character has an GM custom designed elephant-like magic item that is much like a Wonderous Figurine: Marble Elephant, but much shorter duration (5 rounds). I'm about to unleash him in a fairly wide but somewhat crowded hallway. I want him to Overrun a small fry (low level human) to charge and attack a large enemy in the fray. But looking at the rules, because the elephant has Trample the small fry is not given the option to just get out of the way. But if he doesn't get out of the way voluntarily it reads to me that the elephant must spend a Standard Action, thus not allowing the attack on the real target till next round.

Is there anywhere in the rules that states you can in general wave a Special Attack (or a Feat, Special Defence, etc.)?

shilsen

Adventurer
I can't think of a blanket reference right now, but I think it's safe to say that you don't have to trample someone unless you want to. Incidentally, are you playing 3.0? In 3.5, overrun was errataed to not be possible during a charge (crappy rule, IMO).

sullivan

First Post
shilsen said:
I can't think of a blanket reference right now, but I think it's safe to say that you don't have to trample someone unless you want to.).

EDIT: The problem I see is that you aren't actually Trampling, it's just that if you have Trample they can't voluntarily let you pass. The damage you do seems to be an optional hoof/foot attack, not the (better damage, can't miss) Trample. So it's not a matter of choosing not to Trample...the way it reads to me. Somewhat illogical, but *shrug*.

shilsen said:
Incidentally, are you playing 3.0? In 3.5, overrun was errataed to not be possible during a charge (crappy rule, IMO).

Hmm, didn't see that specifically in there. The SRD I'm using maybe doesn't have that errata in it, or I missed it. That rule does make a bit of sense in that I think that the movement is part of the charge action (thus the requirement of Full Action, or Standard Action if you only are allowed a single action in a round). But ya, it really kinda bites. I'll have to review the situation, maybe there is a way to fit the elephant in a straight path down the hallway without moving through enemy occupied squares. You can still Charge through ally occupied squares, right?

Last edited:

Crimson_Manticore

First Post
Charge needs a clear path

You can move through an ally’s square, but you can’t charge through an ally. To be able to charge, you must have a strait, unobstructed path to your enemy. This means hindering terrain (rocky ground, trash heaps, etc) and allies in your path prevent a charge. I don’t have the rules handy right now, but I’m sure someone could post a quote if you need it.

Keith

First Post
I agree that, at least if you have picked up the errata that you can’t overrun on a charge (that is in the errata, by the way, which is not necessarily added to the SRD), elephant guy’s turn can’t include a charge past the first opponent (he could charge that guy, though). That doesn’t mean he can’t get past that opponent, though; he can move and overrun, certainly. Or trample, whatever. I don’t think there can then be another attack once he reaches the end of his movement, though. Maybe the small fry is there precisely to protect whomever is behind him, after all...

Lord Pendragon

First Post
sullivan said:
Is there anywhere in the rules that states you can in general wave a Special Attack (or a Feat, Special Defence, etc.)?
I don't know of the rules specifically addressing this.

As a DM, I wouldn't allow a PC/creature to reduce a feat that provided a mechanical bonus. i.e. "I choose not to use Weapon Focus (axe) with my axe right now." Those kinds of feats/abilities seem too abstract for the PC to choose whether or not they're active.

For "maneuver" feats, though, such as Disarm, Sunder, Spirited Charge, etc. I'd definitely allow a PC/creature to elect not to use it. The feat isn't an improvement of an option, it's a new option altogether.

Now, whether or not you could command a magical elephant to choose not to Trample is another matter...

Last edited:

sullivan

First Post
Keith said:
I agree that, at least if you have picked up the errata that you can’t overrun on a charge (that is in the errata, by the way, which is not necessarily added to the SRD), elephant guy’s turn can’t include a charge past the first opponent (he could charge that guy, though). That doesn’t mean he can’t get past that opponent, though; he can move and overrun, certainly. Or trample, whatever.

The way I read Trample is that it is an attack, so without another feat like Springing Attack the elephant would have to stop at the point of Trampling.

I don’t think there can then be another attack once he reaches the end of his movement, though.

There is the rub. The elephant could move, Overrun, move and attack (but not Charge apparently) if the small fry chose to give way. As far as we can tell he's just a run of the mill grunt, and with several tons of thundering death coming his way it would take an incredible amount of morale to stand in the way of seemingly certain death.

Keith said:
Maybe the small fry is there precisely to protect whomever is behind him, after all...

Well it is kinda of involved situation to fully explain, but no he isn't. The big guy was actually summoned to protect. I would fully expect him to get out of the way if he could.

Remove ads