• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Turning undead while paralyzed?

kikai

Explorer
Hi, in our recent RtCR-Game my Cleric was paralyzed, but had already turned Undead (presented the Holy Symbol). Could a paralyzed Cleric turn undead? It is possible to do mental actions while paralyzed - is turning undead a mental action?

Thanks in advance, :)
kikai

lukelightning

First Post
I see the quandry (bolded parts mine). It depends on if turning is considered a purely mental action (there is no definition of such). It also depends on if holding a holy symbol while frozen in place counts as '"presenting" it.

Personally, I'd say yes. Because it's WAY MORE FUN this way. I can picture the party lugging the paralyzed/frozen/held cleric around and pointing him at ghouls.

Note that if the cleric hadn't just then turned undead before being paralyzed, I'd say no.

A paralyzed character is frozen in place and unable to move or act. A paralyzed character has effective Dexterity and Strength scores of 0 and is helpless, but can take purely mental actions. A winged creature flying in the air at the time that it becomes paralyzed cannot flap its wings and falls. A paralyzed swimmer can’t swim and may drown. A creature can move through a space occupied by a paralyzed creature—ally or not. Each square occupied by a paralyzed creature, however, counts as 2 squares..

Markn

First Post
kikai said:
Hi, in our recent RtCR-Game my Cleric was paralyzed, but had already turned Undead (presented the Holy Symbol). Could a paralyzed Cleric turn undead? It is possible to do mental actions while paralyzed - is turning undead a mental action?

Thanks in advance, :)
kikai

Not sure what RtCR is but if we are talking D&D then once something is turned, it doesn't matter what happens to you. The effect is already applied.

kikai

Explorer
Markn said:
Not sure what RtCR is but if we are talking D&D then once something is turned, it doesn't matter what happens to you. The effect is already applied.

It was Return to Castle Ravenloft. We were fighting some Ghuls and Ghasts, my cleric turned some (using the damage dealing variant, but that doesn't matter for my question) but was hit and failed his save - paralyzed. Then we argued whether he could turn them (as a "mental action") once more (every round until no attempts are left) or not. So there were some undead left when they hit me... to be true, plenty of them :D

Markn

First Post
kikai said:
It was Return to Castle Ravenloft. We were fighting some Ghuls and Ghasts, my cleric turned some (using the damage dealing variant, but that doesn't matter for my question) but was hit and failed his save - paralyzed. Then we argued whether he could turn them (as a "mental action") once more (every round until no attempts are left) or not. So there were some undead left when they hit me... to be true, plenty of them :D

Ah, I see where you are headed now. I would say that this is not possible. Turning is a standard action which implies much more than just a mental action. If memory serves, you need to present your holy symbol and not simply have it in your paralyzed hand to make the turning effective. This is how I would rule it.

irdeggman

First Post
Markn said:
Ah, I see where you are headed now. I would say that this is not possible. Turning is a standard action which implies much more than just a mental action. If memory serves, you need to present your holy symbol and not simply have it in your paralyzed hand to make the turning effective. This is how I would rule it.

Just because it is a standard action does not mean it can't be purely mental - see psionics.

But because the act of turning involves "presenting" your holy symbol not merely having it out - I would rule that physically presenting it is part of the act and each attempt is a separate act. Similar to manipulating your holy symbol (as a divine focus) IMO.

Now the rules are not clear on whether turning undead is a mental action or not so it is up to your DM. Whatever he rules is how it functions in your game (always).

Friendless

First Post
I would rule that you have to be able to present your holy symbol, and that that involves movement, and you probably even have to say something intimidating like "Begone foul spawn!" Although if the cleric was silenced he could do an intimidating mime and that would be OK. Hmm... can undead see an invisible cleric? I suspect if the undead can't see anyway then the cleric need not be visible.

Remove ads