• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Turtle Race for 5e (From WotC Forums)

DrOct

First Post
Originally posted by DrOct:

Hi there!

So for an upcoming (like next week!) campaign some friends and I are starting I've been tasked with building several varient "Lizardfolk" sub-groups. There is some info fro making Lizardfolk NPC's in the DMG, but I found that the Southlands Heroes for 5th Edition book by Kobold Press has a pretty fleshed out Lizardfolk PC race, as well as some options for customizing Lizardfolk. I've taken that and added in some custom abilities of my own and broken down the customization even further.

In the world we're going to be playing in there are a number of different "Lizardfolk" though there are going to be 4 main groups, and not all of them are actually descended from Lizards.

I feel pretty good about most of the other three, but I'm a little iffy on the "Tortle" race I'm working on.

In order to capture the flavor of Turtles they've got a swim speed and the ability to hold their breath for a number of minutes equal to their constitution score. They've also got a bite attack that does 1d6 peircing damage. Their Ability Score increases are +2 Con +1 Wis. They've also got a shell that gives them a +3 Natural Armor bonus. This last one is the part that makes me a little unsure about balance and such.

In order to balance that +3 Natural AC bonus which is pretty powerful, I've done a few things and wanted to get some opinions on them. First, in order for that natural armor to stack with armor I've declared that armor must be custom made for Tortles, and that custom armor costs twice as much as regular armor. I've also said that existing armor can be customized for Tortles, at a cost of half the normal cost for that type of armor. I've also had this ability take up two "slots" so Tortles don't get the automatic proficiency in stealth that the "base" Lizardman in the Southlands book gets. Finally, and this is the big one, I've reduced their speed (both swim and walk) to 20.

That last one is the really big one. Is that too slow to be fun (ie will they spend all of their time just trying to get to opponents rather than actually fighting them? Is it necessary at all? Would slowing them down to 25 (like Dwarves) be enough to balance things out?

Other option are to just not make the AC bonus stack with armor at all, make the bonus a bit smaller, or maybe take away the bite attack?

The Lizardfolk NPC race in the DMG also has +3 AC that stacks (as far as I can tell), but they also get a -2 to Int, and as an NPC race don't have to be as well balanced as the PC races.

Thoughts? Am I overthinking things?

Edit: It's probably going to be easier to evaluate if I just post the whole write up for them isn't it? Here it is:

Tortles

Tortles are descended from turtles. They are large and extremely tough. their shells provide great protection against most attacks, and they can take a large amount of damage. They are slow, but relentless.

You gain the following abilities:

Ability Score Increase: Your Constitution score increases by 2, and your Wisdom score increases by 1.

Age: Tortles mature at a similar rate as humans. They have a longer lifespan. No one knows yet what the upper limits of a Tortle’s lifespan are. Many of those Tortles first created by the elves at the start of the war over a century ago (those few not killed by violence) are still alive.

Size: Your size is medium.

Speed: Your base walking speed is 20 feet.

Special Abilities:

Tortles have the following special abilities:

Swim Speed: You have a swim speed of 20 feet.

Hold Breath: You can hold your breath for a number of minutes equal to your Constitution score.

Hard Shell: You have a thick hard shell which provides great protection. You have a natural armor bonus of +3. This can stack with armor, but only if that armor is customized for use by Tortles. Customized armor costs twice as much as regular armor. Existing armor can be customized for a Tortle by a talented armorsmith for half the normal cost of that general type of armor.

Bite Attack: You have proficiency with your bite, which deals 1d6 piercing damage.

Originally posted by Elfcrusher:

Presumably their shell is only on their back, right? What if they have to consciously go into defensive mode (maybe even retracting into their shell) to get the bonus? Which means that any bonuses come with a cost. Ideas:

- When taking the Dodge action they gain resistance to slashing, bludgeoning, and piercing.
- On any round they can withdraw into their shell, imposing Disadvantage on attackers but suffering Disadvantage on their own attack rolls and making casting with somatic components impossible.
- As a Reaction they can withdraw partially into their shells, granting +2 AC and granting +2 to Dex saves versus spells.

Or something like that.

I like the idea of a turtle race, and I don't like most new race ideas. So that's saying something! (Maybe that I have terrible taste....)

Thanks! Those are all interesting ideas that I'll definitely think hard on! I'm still sort of leaning toward something a little simpler that requires a little less mental space/interaction (ie things that are reasonably passive), but none of those seem too difficult so... maybe!

Thanks for the suggestions!

Originally posted by WorBlade:

Turtles do have shell on the bottom - or front for a bipedal one. Thinner but it is there. Maybe a bipedal turte would develop a thinner bank and thicker front for preserving body mass in a resonable zone while sharing the protection arount. The Teenaged Mutant Ninja Turtles might not be the best physical example of what the race would like look as they have heavy tutrle shell backs.

I thought I'd post what we finally settled on for the Tortle! Feel free to use this an you see fit or make your own versions. If you do use it I'd love to hear how it worked, and see any changes you made!

Tortles

Tortles are descended from turtles and tortoises. They are large and extremely tough. their shells provide great protection against most attacks, and they are tough to injure. They are slow, but relentless.

As a Tortle your patience and endurance are far greater than most. You are at home in the water or the land. You gain the following abilities:

Ability Score Increase: Your Constitution score increases by 2, and your Wisdom score increases by 1.

Age: Tortles mature at a similar rate to humans. They have a longer lifespan. No one knows yet what the upper limits of a Tortle’s lifespan are. Some of those Tortles first created by the elves at the start of the war over a century ago (those few not killed by violence) are still alive.

Size: Your size is medium.

Speed: Your base walking speed is 25 feet.

Special Abilities:

Tortles have the following special abilities:

Swim Speed: You have a swim speed of 25 feet.

Hold Breath: You can hold your breath for a number of minutes equal to your Constitution score.

Hard Shell: You have a thick hard shell which provides great protection. You have a natural armor bonus of +2. This can stack with armor, but only if that armor is customized for use by Tortles. Customized armor costs one and a half times as much as regular armor. Existing armor can be customized for a Tortle by a talented armorsmith for half the normal cost of that general type of armor.

Natural Predator: Tortles can use their slow movement and ability to sit still for long periods of time to surprise enemies and prey.
You have proficiency with the Stealth skill.

TheWhiteSpark

First Post
Hi! I was making a turtle race as well and found this interesting.

My main concern is that with a +2 AC Tortles are like Warforged but better.

Warforged:

+1 AC
+1 STR +1 CON
Dont need to eat or sleep, only 4 hours of trance-like thing.

Tortles:
+2 AC
+2 CON + 1 WIS
Land speed 25ft
Swim speed 25ft
Free Stealth Skill

So for a penalty of 5ft land speed, Tortles gain a 25ft swim speed, 1 more attribute, a free skill, and a whole extra +1 AC than the Warforged.

AC is a really big deal. However, its a homebrew race, and unless your players are min-maxing their AC (A Tortle fighter with plate and a shield would have 22 AC), i doubt it will be a problem.

If you want to try to balance it more, maybe include a penalty to DEX, reduce the CON bonus to +1, and maaaybe the AC bonus to 1? I know a turtle feels like it should be a freaking tank, but +2 is so hard to balance because its really good, so i dunno what is best.

Bonus pics i have found in my turtle race quest:

im gur.com/gallery/euUl5

DrOct

First Post
You make some good points! But honestly, in my estimation the issue might actually be that the Warforged (which is playtest Unearthed Arcana stuff right?) are too weak/uninteresting not the other way around! I actually think most of the PHB races actually have more and more powerful (certainly more interesting) stuff than the Warforged does. But that's all a judgement call.

I really agonized over all of this, and you might be totally right! But it's also being made in the context of the Lizardfolk from the Southlands 5E Heroes book from Kobold Press, which provides a bit of a "system" for customizing Lizardfolk. I took that system a lot further than the book does to customize further and wrote up the shell thing myself, but it is being made in the context of a system with a bunch of "slots" and other powers (I have the shell taking up several of those slots).

The other thing of note: The section in the DMG with stats for making NPC's actually gives Lizardfolk a +3(!) AC bonus (that stacks with armor), no movement penalty, a swim speed of 30, and the ability to hold their breath for 15 minutes. The only cost is a -2 to Int (depending on what you're doing that's a high cost or maybe it's not). Admittedly those guidelines are for an NPC so balance against other PC races isn't as big a deal, but it is in there, and I considered that in this context too.

As it stands, the no one chose to make a Tortle in the first round ot character creation, and most folks in my group didn't seem terribly interested in them (I mostly agree with them, the other Lizardfolk variants we have are more interesting to me anyway) and it seems unlikely that anyone will choose to make one later on. So it may not be an issue in the end.

Anyway you might be totally right, and maybe just dropping the +2 to a +1 would be the way to go. Or eliminating some of the other benefits. I don't know if this'll ever really get much of a playtest or not, but it's close enough for me and my group (who are not generally crazy optimizers, but even when they are are optimizing are likely to gravitate to other kinds of things than defense) for now. But if feel free to toy with this and make your own varient! If it gets used I'd love to hear how it went and what changes you made!

Last edited:

DrOct

First Post
Also that is a really sweet set of Turtle-Man pictures! I may have to add that top one to the document I have for these guys!

DrOct

First Post
Also of note: I originally was thinking of slowing them down even further to 20 (for both walking and swimming), but decided that moving that slowly in combat (especially if you play on a grid as my group will at least some of the time) might actually not be terribly fun.

TheWhiteSpark

First Post
Also of note: I originally was thinking of slowing them down even further to 20 (for both walking and swimming), but decided that moving that slowly in combat (especially if you play on a grid as my group will at least some of the time) might actually not be terribly fun.

I agree. I think the aim should be letting players have fun, and being that slow would be rough.

If you (and your players) are all comfortable with the AC as it stands, especially comparing it to the lizardfolk, then its all good. I would just watch for players who might think they should be the ones with high AC (a fighter) but they just cant match the Tortle in the party and feel robbed. That would be frustrating to me anyway.

I just remember somewhere people being upset that the Warforged were really strong even with just a +1 AC. This is obviously from people who think combat is the end-all of DnD, which i disagree with, but the Tortles not only get a good combat boost but more story and world stuff too (swim speed, skills, ect).

Anyway, cool race. Turtles are rad.

-TWS

RealAlHazred

Frumious Flumph (Your Grace/Your Eminence)
Originally posted by DrOct:I thought I'd post what we finally settled on for the Tortle! Feel free to use this an you see fit or make your own versions. If you do use it I'd love to hear how it worked, and see any changes you made!

Let's break it down. Based on [MENTION=6801453]Coronoides[/MENTION]' analysis in this thread, you get the following costs for these things:

Con+2 Cost 4
Wis+1 Cost 2
Speed 25ft Cost -4
Swim Speed: 25 ft Cost 0
Hold Breath Cost 2
Customization requirement Cost -1 (extrapolated)
Stealth skill prof Cost 2
Which brings the subtotal to 5 points.

That leaves the AC+2. This is more powerful than any fully-fleshed-out race; generally the ability is posted as "Your AC when you are not wearing armor is 12 + your Dex bonus." This would have the value of 4 points, bringing the total to 9, which is considerably less than Coronoides' breakpoint of "12" for a race.

If you make it +2 to AC, you're making it more powerful than the ability I mentioned above. That really only appears in the Warforged race, which is still in playtest and not completed yet. In my homebrew Warforged race, I give them the default AC of 12 without armor. Coronoides doesn't have a value for that, but it could be about double the effectiveness (since it is even more useful for folks in medium or heavy armor), which would bring the final total to 13 points, which is slightly higher than Coronoides' breakpoint.

I guess what I'm saying is, how does it play? Coronoides back-engineered the numbers, so there's the potential for discrepancy there, but his stuff has been really solid in play. Based on his numbers, the Tortle race seems potentially underpowered.

DrOct

First Post
Interesting! I'll have to look at that thread in detail but that might be a good way to make races going forward. It's interesting that we went from a discussion of the ability being overpowered to the race potentially being underpowered! (though of course an ability like that is tough to quantify exactly).

I had considered having it be a bonus to unarmored AC, but the regular Lizardman in the Southlands book already has that, and if I'm going to have a Turtle-Man stand out from the regular lizard man I needed the defense to have a bit more umph to it. I suppose i could have just made the unarmored AC even higher (which I've considered). Anyway this is all very interesting. Thank you so much everyone who's given feedback so far!

Coronoides

First Post
Hi I'll post links to the final version of my article (version 1.04 on the PDF, 20 for the excel) once I clock up 10 posts. In the mean time see post #7 of this thread on RPGnet "D&D 5e Race Design reverse engineered and 38 example races"

I love the Turtlefolk idea and may try to get my own DM onboard.

Last edited:

TheWhiteSpark

First Post
Hi I'll post links to the final version of my article (version 1.04 on the PDF, 20 for the excel) once I clock up 10 posts. In the mean time see post #7 of this thread on RPGnet "D&D 5e Race Design reverse engineered and 38 example races"

I love the Turtlefolk idea and may try to get my own DM onboard.

Hey Coronoides! It is really awesome to see you on here. I have been reading your PDF all day and think it is incredible. I've been looking at it, and this thread, because i've been trying to balance my own Turtle race as well. As mentioned above, the only precedent for AC in a racial trait is the warforged, which is still being tested, but if the 12 point rule holds, then it should cost 4-ish points by my estimation, which seems low.

Warforged:

+1 STR +1 Con (4 Points)
No breathing at all (4 points, as Unending Breath for Air Genasi)
+1 AC (4 points??)
No eating or drinking (0 points)
Trance-like sleep (0 Points)
Immune to disease (0 Points?)

I guess my question is, maybe no breathing at all should only be 2 points, and +1 AC would then be 6 points for the warforged. If that is the case, maybe the Levitate ability of Air Genasi could cost 4 points, as it does have some application in combat, and it is more similar to flying than most non-damaging spells (flying being really expensive normally). I dunno, you definitely know more about this than I do.

Anyway, if you have any ideas on how much +1 AC might cost, that would be amazing. I've been hoping to balance a bonus to AC somehow.

Remove ads