TUW: Welcome to the Jungle

MacConnell

Creator of The Untamed Wilds
Days 242 - 248: The River to the Lake

Sannit looks both ways up the river and strokes his beard as he thinks. "I would rather see the lake that generates the river, rather than the tail end. There should be more interesting things around the lake anyway." Sannit will do a search for minerals and metals, using the inventory for conduits.
OOC: roll: 73

Bolo and Turtle will splash in the water and go fishing. Later Bolo will search for plants.
OOC: roll: 52

Turtle will take a long swim and will leave enough fish for the group to eat.
Traveling upward toward the lake is arduous and slow. Everyone is forced to dismount and allow the horses to pick their way and follow their riders. The three pack colts follow behind. The lake itself appears to be about twice the size of the previously discovered one in the hidden valley of Da'Roneh and Deviards. Unlike the dark eutrophic waters of that lake, this one is crystal clear and remarkably cool.

Enough landing is discovered to provide a good campsite, especially to rest the horses, who at this point need it much more than the Seekers. Though with some cool splashes of water on everyone's faces, it is amazing how refreshing a little rest can be.

The area appears rather peaceable. Feroz, glad to be free of the overhanging canopy, soars high into the sky, circling over the water's surface. He gives no cry of alarm. The horses drink greedily from the water's edge.

Sheldon strips down to his loin cloth; and after testing the water a bit, dives into the placid surface disappearing in the depth. He surfaces again some distance from shore.
"This water sure feels good after traipsing through that hot jungle. There is a current deeper down pulling toward that river we followed up. I could not see the final bottom either. It could be a hundred paces in the center."

Indigo shakes her head a bit then smiles fondly at her heartmate. She gathers Sheldon's clothing and then moves off from the others a bit before stripping her own and diving in to join him.
"If there are any monsters out here, I am going to punch you before one eats me."

Turtle has a nice and luxurious swim before catching and consuming way too many fish so that he sleeps the whole remainder of a day.
OOC: Prospecting: effectiveness + konokoro + d100 + 100(if conduit)
Sannit: 33 + 33 + 73 = 139 + 100 = 239
Sheldon: 36 + 51 + 85 = 172 + 100 = 272

Forage: effectiveness + konokoro + d100
Bolo: 35 + 28 + 73 = 136
Indigo: 36 + 38 + 85 = 159

GM: Together, Sannit and Sheldon locate a decent vein of carbone which yields some 25 bricks worth of the mineral. They locate several duplicate stones for ones already carried and a few new ones, such as a Sunstone, Slickstone, Lodestone, Emberstone, Soft Brimstone, Waterstone, Nightstone, and Ruddystone.

As with the minerals, search for ores is also productive, yielding duplicates of all carried plus a few new ingots, such as Lead, Magnesium, Copper, and two more unknown metals.

Together, Bolo and Indigo discover a decent amount of edible leaves, seeds, fruit, root, and even mushrooms. Additionally, they discover 1 measure each of Muddle Leaf, Soothe Leaf, Rend Leaf, Mend Leaf, Muddle Flower, and Soothe Flower.

[sblock=Character Data]
OOC: Sheldon: full health
Indigo: full health
Tor: full health
Merin: full health
Bolo: full health
Sannit: full health
Turtle:full health
Saemund: full heath
Feroz: full health
Vadin: full health
[/sblock]
[sblock=Purchasing Power]
OOC:
Store Credit in Southroad Fair: 1123 clams
60 Plates: (platinum coin, 3000 clams)
10 Gold Ingots (200 clams)
50 Dublins: (gold coin, 1000 clams)
80 Rupees: (silver coin, 800 clams)
76 Ocrin: (tin coin, 76 clams)
20% Southroad Fair Olive Trade Proceeds
[/sblock]
[sblock=Current Party Holdings]
OOC:
2 Windrunner Stallions
8 Windrunner Mares
3 decorative saddles (San-Bolo, Saemund)
4 standard saddles (Tor, Sheldon, Indigo, Merin, Vadin)
4 Windrunner Colts (with pack rigs)
2 Harnin Mining Mauls
2 Harnin Mining Spikes
2 Harnin Pick Axes
drawing of Assassins' Guild symbol
parchment containing known message
[/sblock]
[sblock=Current Inventory]
OOC: Animal:

• Anhinga Talisman: 1 (++ Cohesion)
  • Calling Bird Feet: 1 pair {+ Will}
  • Calling Bird Tail Feathers: 5 (1 item) {+ Will}
  • Chicken Feet: 2 pair {+ Confluence}
  • Chicken Tail Feathers: 3 (1 item) {+ Confluence}
  • Duck Tail Feathers: 3 (1 item) (+ Cohesion)
  • Duck Feet: 1 pair (+ Cohesion)
  • Flycatcher Talisman: 3 (+ Motility)
  • Gallinule Talisman: 1 (++ Confluence)
  • Harvester Feet: 1 pair (+ Health)
  • Harvester Tail Feathers: 5 (1 item) {+ Health}
  • Hawk Tail Feathers: 3 (1 item) {+ Strength}
  • Hawk Feet: 2 pair (+ Strength)
  • Huge Beetle Carapaces: 21
  • Mink Skulls: 4 (+ Adhesion)
  • Songbird Tail Feathers: 5 (1 item) {+ Persona}
  • Songbird Feet: 1 pair (+ Persona)
  • Tapir Hides: 9 (262% cover)
  • Volantin Skins: 6 (360% cover)
  • Volantin Venom Glands: 2 (- Persona x3)
  • Volantin Talons: 120 (++ Motility)
  • Vulture Talisman: 1 (+ Adhesion)

Metal:

• Zinc Ingots: 14 (+ Health) {Mend x2}
  • Tin Ingots: 110 (+ Persona) {Muddle x2, - Persona x2}
  • Lead: 2 {Rend x2, -Health x2}
  • Iron Ingots: 37 (+ Confluence) {Mend x2}
  • Iron Bricks: 10
  • Aluminum Ingots: 7 (+ Motility) {Thump x2}
  • Chromium Ingots: 10 (+ Strength) {Rejuvenate x2}
  • Magnesium: 2 (+ Will) {Soothe x2, Mend x2, +Health x2}
  • Copper: 2 (+ Persona) {-Persona x2, Shock x2}
Plant:

• Muddle Leaf: 1 {Muddle x2}
  • Soothe Leaf: 2 (Soothe x2)
  • Rend Leaf: 1 {Rend x2}
  • Mend Leaf: 2 (Mend x2)
  • Muddle Flower: 1 {Muddle x3}
  • Soothe Flower: 1 {Soothe x3}
  • Leaves of Harmony: 1 (Harmony x2)
Stone:

• Bloodstone: 4 (+ Health) {Mend x2}
  • Sunstone: 1 (+ Persona) {Charm x2}
  • Heartstone: 3 (+ Confluence) {Mend x2}
  • Carbone Bricks: 35 (Heat x3)
  • Lodestone: 1: {Thump x2}
  • Slickstone: 1: {Cool x2}
  • Livestone: 2 (+ Strength) {Restoration x2}
  • Milkstone: 1 (+ Will) {Harmony x2}
  • Emberstone: 1: (+ Cohesion) {Charm x2}
  • Soft Brimstone Brick: 1: {heat x3}
  • Pietrazulfo Brick: 1 (Acidify x4, Heat x4)
  • Slate: 16 (Thump x2)
[/sblock]
[sblock=Unknown Items]
OOC: Bird Skull (Heron): 1
Unknown Ingots (Molybdenum): 9
Unknown Ingot (Palladium): 2
Unknown Ingot (Silver): 1
Blue rock (Waterstone): 1
Black rock (Nightstone): 1
Burgundy rock (Ruddystone): 1
[/sblock]
[sblock=Party Discoveries]
OOC:
Hidden Valley in the Western Jungle
[/sblock]

Last edited:

Kwargrow

Gamer Extraordinaire
San-Bolo take a swim in the lake for the exercise but do not stay too long in the water. The black snakeskin boots they wear are prime example of what can lurk under the surface. Sannit will meditate on the unknown metals to determine their proclivity, and Bolo will examine the new stones.

Later when relaxing on the shore together, Sannit looks over the water and says, "The mission we on now must stay our top priority, but I long to return to the Lunaedriac and visit Bergbaulager again. I'm sure it would be a useful trip to see how the trade route is progressing and see our friends. I am not saying we turn back now, we are this close to Asylim and we should see this city that seeks to subjugate us. It is something I would like to get back to, though."

Bolo lets her toes dip in the water and says, "I would like to learn the secrets of the great waters, and meet the other peoples that inhabit the shore of the Lunaedriac."

Turtle dozes.

redraider629

Explorer
Vadin opts out of swimming with Sheldon and Indigo. He instead walks to the shoreline and with his hands cupped scoops up water and pours over his head getting his hair sufficiently wet. He then lies down on the shore and closes his eyes, not to sleep but just listen. He begins to think about the journey ahead. Then his mind begins wondering about the depth of this pool. "I wonder whats down there." The thought of jumping in and exploring crosses his mind, but the rest matters more to him at this point.

Tellerian Hawke

Defender of Oerth
Merin and Tor will both take a dip in the lake, but both have ulterior motives, other than simple rest and refreshment.

Tor dives as deep as he can, and while doing so, reaches out using Way, trying to detect metal ores on the lake bottom. After several attempts at this, he switches toward trying to detect pearls. He realizes that pearls are a saltwater occurrence, for the most part, but he has hopes that perhaps he might discover a freshwater variety of pearl-bearing mussel.

Merin will use Way to draw medium sized fish towards himself, which he will then immobilize by using paralytic Way. Merin has a fish feast on his mind.

MacConnell

Day 248 - 249: A Refreshing Break

... Later when relaxing on the shore together, Sannit looks over the water and says, "The mission we on now must stay our top priority, but I long to return to the Lunaedriac and visit Bergbaulager again. I'm sure it would be a useful trip to see how the trade route is progressing and see our friends. I am not saying we turn back now, we are this close to Asylim and we should see this city that seeks to subjugate us. It is something I would like to get back to, though."
Sheldon runs his left hand through his, now dry, hair, pulling it back from his face.
"This water is like that of the Lunaedriac. The Maldrog of Bergbaulager seemed interested, not only in the trade with Southroad Fair, but also in conveying more information about the lake and its peoples to us. I think they might be working up to explaining some problem they have to see if we might be able to solve it."
Kwargrow said:
Bolo lets her toes dip in the water and says, "I would like to learn the secrets of the great waters, and meet the other peoples that inhabit the shore of the Lunaedriac."
Indigo touches Sheldon's leg then moves over to sit next to the only other female in the party.
"Our lives seem to have become mission oriented, impacting a significant portion of the world around us. We have changed much from the children setting off on an adventure those few seasons ago."
Vadin... lies down on the shore and closes his eyes, not to sleep but just listen. He begins to think about the journey ahead. Then his mind begins wondering about the depth of this pool. "I wonder whats down there." The thought of jumping in and exploring crosses his mind, but the rest matters more to him at this point.
OOC: Perception: effectiveness + Konokoro
Vadin: 32 + 35 = 67

GM: As Vadin relaxes his consciousness seems to expand. He tunes out the voices and movement of his friends at hand and begins to hone in on other sounds, the echo into the depth of the lake of small waves and splashes, the tail kick of fish, the groaning of the mountains themselves.

While no danger presents itself, Vadin realizes that the lake is incredibly deep, far deeper than his consciousness can currently penetrate. There is also a hollowness or absence of sound from the island peak in the middle of the lake. The hollowness seems to indicate that the peak was once worked, though its occupation has vacated.

Tor dives as deep as he can, and while doing so, reaches out using Way, trying to detect metal ores on the lake bottom. After several attempts at this, he switches toward trying to detect pearls. He realizes that pearls are a saltwater occurrence, for the most part, but he has hopes that perhaps he might discover a freshwater variety of pearl-bearing mussel.
GM: With his exceptional health, Tor finds that after a few tries he can dive to an exceptional depth, but not nearly to deep as to find the true bottom even with paranormally enhanced perception. Near the outlet for the river that the Seekers followed to find the lake, where the current can be felt and the water is nowhere near its deepest, Tor finds several small colonies of attached mollusks filtering their microscopic food from the current. Prying loose three of the larger specimens, he discovers 2 sizable freshwater pearls.

Tellerian Hawke said:
Merin will attempt to manipulate Way to draw medium sized fish towards himself, which he will then immobilize by using paralytic Way. Merin has a fish feast on his mind.
GM: Merin finds that he can by no means cause one of the many fish to come anywhere near him. While this is a disappointment, he also discovers that he can paralyze one at a considerable distance, afterwhich the fish floats to the surface. Merin can collect a maximum of 6 fish in such a manner before he is too fatigued to manipulate Way.

Sannit will meditate on the unknown metals to determine their proclivity, and Bolo will examine the new stones.
OOC: Metallurgy: Time = 1 week * complexity / (effectiveness + Konokoro) + d100)
Sannit: 33(alchemy) + 33(konokoro) + 50(d100) = 116
Bolo: 35(alchemy) + 28(konokoro) + 50(d100) = 113
Molybdenum: 4 weeks / 116 = 5 hours, 48 minutes
Palladium: 5 hours, 48 minutes
Silver: 5 hours, 48 minutes.
Waterstone: 4 weeks / 113 = 5 hours, 57 minutes
Nightstone: 5 hours, 57 minutes
Ruddystone: 5 hours, 57 minutes.

GM: Setting aside time for the two days of rest, Sannit is able to determine the proclivity of each of the three previously unknown metals and Bolo the 3 previously unknown stones.

[sblock=Character Data]
[/sblock]
OOC:
[/sblock]
OOC:
2 Windrunner Stallions
8 Windrunner Mares
2 Harnin Mining Mauls
2 Harnin Mining Spikes
2 Harnin Pick Axes
[/sblock]

Metal:

• Molybdenum: 9 (+ Motility)
  • Palladium: 2 {sound x3}
  • Silver: 1 (+Will) {-Will x3}
Plant:

Stone:

• Emberstone: 1 (+ Cohesion) {Charm x2}
  • Waterstone: 1 (+Motility)
  • Nightstone: 1 (+Adhesion) {darken x3}
  • Ruddystone: 1 (+Health)
[/sblock]
[sblock=Unknown Items]
[/sblock]
OOC:
Secluded Lake in Western Jungle
[/sblock]

Last edited:

redraider629

Explorer
The island is intriguing Vadin. The emptiness is begging for investigation. Vadin shares with the group, "I sense nothing from that island in the middle of the lake. No sounds, no life, just hollowness. I think before we leave perhaps we should check it out. Maybe it hldes clues to the lake, or perhaps some useful items."

Tellerian Hawke

Defender of Oerth
Merin studies the island peak thoughtfully, “What do you put in the middle of a lake, on an island that is silent and uninhabited? My guess is that it’s a tomb of some sort. If we swim out to the island, we should tread carefully, with great care, so as to respect the solemnity of what is no doubt some tribe’s sacred place.”

Tor nods in agreement, “You have good instincts, brother. It makes perfect sense. And if you’re wrong, it’s of small consequence, but the possibility that you’re correct is more than sufficient reason to approach it with caution and respect.”

MacConnell

Day 249: The Island

The island is intriguing Vadin. The emptiness is begging for investigation...
Merin studies the island peak thoughtfully, “What do you put in the middle of a lake, on an island that is silent and uninhabited? My guess is that it’s a tomb of some sort. If we swim out to the island, we should tread carefully, with great care, so as to respect the solemnity of what is no doubt some tribe’s sacred place.”

Tor nods in agreement, “You have good instincts, brother. It makes perfect sense. And if you’re wrong, it’s of small consequence, but the possibility that you’re correct is more than sufficient reason to approach it with caution and respect.”
Sheldon clears his throat, then runs his left hand through his hair, pulling it back from his face.
"I hate to be the voice of opposition. Usually I am the encouraging and whimsical one, but in this instance, I think some obvious factors are being overlooked...

That is a really long swim. Even if we move around the lake some to see if we can approach from a shorter distance, I do not know if any of us can make that swim. So if we take the time to gather some felled timbers to assist in crossing the expanse, we are still leaving our horses and our supplies unattended for whatever length of time we would be gone, which could be rather lengthy.

We should mark this on Merin's map for now and return when we have completed our other mission. We should also return on foot leaving our horses in the more safe location of Southroad Fair, or at least our acquired gear, since our horses are well adapted to us. I am not worried about the horse being stolen. I am more concerned with them being eaten, here in the jungle where their speed is negated.

We need to get to the silk collectors from Asylim before they leave the jungle. It is a lot to ask, I know, but what say you we hold off on this adventure for a later date
?"
[sblock=Character Data]
[/sblock]
OOC:
[/sblock]
OOC:
2 Windrunner Stallions
8 Windrunner Mares
2 Harnin Mining Mauls
2 Harnin Mining Spikes
2 Harnin Pick Axes
[/sblock]

Metal:

• Molybdenum: 9 (+ Motility)
  • Palladium: 2 {sound x3}
  • Silver: 1 (+Will) {-Will x3}
Plant:

Stone:

• Emberstone: 1 (+ Cohesion) {Charm x2}
  • Waterstone: 1 (+Motility)
  • Nightstone: 1 (+Adhesion) {darken x3}
  • Ruddystone: 1 (+Health)
[/sblock]
[sblock=Unknown Items]
[/sblock]
OOC:
Secluded Lake in Western Jungle with Mysterious Island
[/sblock]

Last edited:

Kwargrow

Gamer Extraordinaire
OOC: For some reason I'm picturing a sign on this lake island that reads, "Come back at a higher level."

We need to get to the silk collectors from Asylim before they leave the jungle.

Sannit gazes at the distant island and strokes his beard. "I think I could make that swim, but you're right, Sheldon, we don't have time. It's been a nice rest, but we need to infiltrate the silk collectors." San-Bolo collect their gear and are ready to go.

Sensing an end to their time at the lake, Turtle starts gobbling up as many fish as he can.

Remove ads