• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Tweak a rogue fighter factotum? Need martial feat help

Jeffrie

First Post
I was asked to play a martial character in a 5 PC campaign 3.5, and really sorta don't play martial characters. I'm usually a skill monkey, and can barely talk myself into starting a character without a rogue dip.
So i'm thinkin' rogue, thinkin' martial, thinkin' martial rogue. Base class with two bonus feats for two levels.

Not martial enough though to fill a melee slot. So maybe for fun, two more levels of fighter for another base class that gets two more bonus feats.

1 feat, 1 human, 2 Martial Rogue, 2 Fighter, one more at third lvl =7?

Then since i really can't see myself playing a fighter, i was thinking of playing a factotum. R2/ F2/ Fct16

Does anybody have an idea for another dip? I heard 1 level Marshal, but i haven't looked it up yet. Remember, i probably won't play till 20, so past 14 is probably theoretical, but i like concepts that are playable (I don't wanna be half dragon half demon).

List of 7 feats? Mostly martial feats from core books. Would certainly like a few suggestions from forgotten realms, etc.

Improved Initiative
Improved Trip - - I really don't know these two well.
Improved Feint
Quick Reconnoiter - Love it. Listen/Spot as free action, +2 init
Blind Fight - Worth it?
Point Blank
Precise Shot
Rapid Shot
etc?

+4ImpInit +2Quikrecon +2dex +5(int/factotum)= +13 initiative ? heh. In Plate armor?

Font of Inspiration (feat) would get most of the other feats, but could maybe spare more = 8 or 9 total? Nah, 7 is enough till 12th or 15th.

Of course at Facto3 Brains over Brawn gives Int bonus to Dex and Str checks, to that can be rather martial, and could stack with some feats if i check. . . And at Facto 8 Cunning Surge gives an extra action, and that can be quite martial/melee.

thoughts?

Dandu

First Post
Honestly, you could probably do pretty well as a straight Factotum who uses Gnomish Quickrazors and Iaijuitsu Focus.

Jeffrie

First Post
So i've heard. I don't mean to be a pain, but isn't iaijuitsu focus a samurai fear from oriental adventures? Where's that quickrazor thing at?

I'll read the I F thing, but don't know if the DM will fly it.. . . Let me read it.

StreamOfTheSky

Adventurer
I had a lot of fun with one of my recent characters. Went with a Martial Rogue / Factotum / Warshaper, using Changeling as the race. Changeling qualified hir for warshaper, and for the uber awesome changeling rogue substitution level at level 1 (trade trapfinding for awesome social skill boons, including take 10 on Intimidate; get TEN + int skill points, and multiplied by 4 since its level 1).

Main tactics were using a reach weapon (guisarme) + Improved Trip feat and Intimidating with the Never Outnumbered skill trick (C.Scoundrel) and Imperious Command feat (Drow of the Underdark), for a unique style of melee battlefield control. You can also go for Iaijutsu Focus, but I figured that'd be too cheesy and the DM was already being nice allowing so many sourcebooks.

Basic build was Rogue 4/ Factotum x / Warshaper 3. Starting with 1 in rogue, then at least 1 in Factotum, then level as you like until you can enter warshaper, then finish out with factotum. It's really feat intensive, especially if you want Font of Inspiration several times. I also heavily recommend Knowledge Devotion (C.Champion) feat, to make your int benefit you further.

EDIT: Feat suggestions:

Font of Inspiration x3 - x5 or more - If you're not taking it at least 3 times relatively early, it's simply not worth the feat cost, IMO. Taking it 3 times is like getting 2 inspiration per feat, an acceptable cost. Any more times increases the payout, of course. Twice is 1.5 insp. per feat, seems too little for the cost to me. One time is a horrible cost/benefit exchange. In conclusion: Save lots of room for this, or don't bother at all. If you can take flaws, TAKE FLAWS.

Combat Expertise - Decent in its own right, needed for...

Improved Trip - Brains Over Brawn gets put to work!

Nymph's Kiss - If the DM allows it, take this at level 1. You need to be exalted good, but in return you get +1 skill point per level (not retroactive, so take at level 1), +2 on charisma checks, and a save bonus against spells. Just makes you better at things you already do well.

Intimidating Strike - Makes your intimidation effect last the entire encounter! Excellent synergy with Never Outnumbered skill trick and...

Imperious Command - The crux of any martial intimidate build, makes anyone you demoralize cower for one round. IME, before this feat, making use out of Never Outnumbered skill trick (demoralize all within 10 ft) was utterly suicidal. My character nearly died on 2 different occasions trying to get the most out of the one/encounter skill trick usage.

Combat Reflexes - If the DM throws a lot of enemies at you, you have the reach and trip ability to get mileage out of this.

Knowledge Devotion - A +1 (no matter how badly you roll) to +5 to hit and damage for the entire encounter, based on your (free action) knowledge check result. Nice addition for an int-based class with all skills available.

If after all that you STILL have feats to spare somehow...

Dodge - Kinda sucks, if you can get a Dodge equivalent like Expeditious Dodge or Desert Wind Dodge without much pain, go for one of those instead.

Mobility - Really really sucks. But, Magic Item Compendium has it as a +1 armor enhancement. :) Then again, the feat you worked your way towards actually makes mobility sort of useful...

Elusive Target (C.Warrior) - Seriously worth two junk feats (or one junk feat and an armor enhancement)! Two tactics have you focus on one enemy (your dodge buddy) and make him gain nothing from power attack against you, and cause him to skewer his friend that he's flanking you with once/round, which is awesome enough. But the 3rd tactic is also handy for you...if you provoke an AoO for movement and the enemy misses you (yay, Mobility!), you get an instant free trip attempt against that enemy. This does not cost you an AoO to use and you would get your free extra attack from Improved Trip after succeeding.

Last edited:

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads