• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Tweak my Monk

Dremen

First Post
I'm playing a monk in a new game. And I'm stumped on which feats to take. For levels 1, 3, 6.

What would you take and why? I am not interested in the spring attack chain and using point by will put wis and str higher than dex.

Using OA feats.

chain 1: improved grapple, earths embrace, choke hold.

chain 2: unbalancing strike, improved initiative, expert tactician.

Both of these chains focus on aspects the monk is good well suited for.

For thoose who do not have OA. Improved grapple is like improved grap. Earths embrace lets you do double damage with a pin and choke hold forces a fort save or unconcious for 1d3 rounds. Unbalancing strike forces a reflex save dc 10 + 1/2 level +wis mod or loose your dex bonus to ac (which is a nice combo with expert tactician)

-D

Mathew_Freeman

First Post
TWEAK MY MONK...roflmao!

*giggle* I'm really sorry, I don't mean to laugh...but...TWEAK MY MONK!

It just caught me...sounds like something a really bad villain would say...or a suicidal one...

*snort*

I've got visions of this sarcastic BBEG, finishing his dramatic speech with -

"And if you think you can stop me, well, you can tweak my monk."

Sorry, apologies again.

On topic, I suggest working towards the style that allows you to increase your damage dice, and using the rules in the OA that allows you to swop out other monk feats that you get for free (Improved Trip, Deflect Arrows and Stunning Blow) so that you can qualify earlier.

ForceUser

Explorer
I like improved grapple/choke hold/earth's embrace. The Grappling Monk is a good template. I'll see if I can get Hjorimir to post here; the guy's playing a monk in my OA campaign (link below), and he's crunched out a way to master not one but two martial arts styles with his character. He can explain how better than I.

Dremen

First Post
I thought the title was eye catching!

I played a super high dex monk with the obligitory spring attack chain. I was rather bored and thought this chain was rather boring. I like the standard monk feats in the PHB so I'm not swaping. I'm just trying to map out the next few levels based upon how much FUN is it to play and what is more effective and help to the party. I also lurked on the big monk sucks thread awhile back gleaning advice from that. I also dislike as one person phrased it Boots of Cheat (S&S).

I also feel like trashing STR for DEX also trashes 1 feat as well because you are going to need weapon finesse just to hit anything. So this type of monk holds no interest for me.

-D

Last edited:

novyet

First Post
Well I'm playing a 5th level monk right now, and I went with
H. Improved Grapple
1. Choke Hold
3. Fists of Iron

So at 5th I have the Mighty Fist I Mastery, and can go up to Mighty Fist II with a couple feats, or go the foot and fist route.

I really love playing OA monks, can't go wrong! :)

Gizzard

First Post
I've played a PHB Monk up to 6th level; the one thing I really think I missed was taking Weapon Finesse at 3rd. I know it doesnt fit into your OA Feat chains, but, depending on how your ability stats work out, its something to seriously consider.

For me, I started with 15 STR (+2) and 17 DEX (+3) and passed on Weapon Finesse at 3rd because I didnt think that adding +1 to my To-Hit was good enough. But then at 4th level, my ability point went into DEX, now suddenly Weapon Finesse was worth +2 to every attack. By 6th level, I get my second attack, which means that Flurry+Weapon Finesse is a total of +6 spread over 3 attacks. That ends up being a decent increase in a Monk's overall expected damage.

-edit-

I just noticed the second response talking about Weapon Finesse and "low STR" Monks. I really dont think of a 15 STR Monk as "low", the thing is that over multiple attacks (a given with a Monk) the Weapon Finesse plusses really add up. Granted, 6th level is a big turning point, but at 5th level I was +3/+3 on a Flurry; at 6th I am +6/+6/+3 with the Flurry. Sure, a big part of that is the extra attack at 6th and +1BAB for levelling; but you cant sneeze at +2 to every single attack either.

Last edited:

Dremen

First Post
Monks don't suck I love them!

This monks stats will be WIS 16 STR 16 DEX 12.

You get so much more for your money with WIS and STR as your highest stats; at least in point buy. You still need to have a decent CON and INT for hit and skill points.

You can't loose the ac for WIS by being flat footed only by held, paralysed or otherwise helpless. And with a higher STR you don't need to spend a precious feat on weapon finesse, Heck weapon focus would give you +1 hit. With a good STR you get a bonus to hit AND damage. You get a bonus to hit and AC for high dex but you give up a feat for it. Not a good return on your investment if there are other options.

When you are doing point buy then I personally think it makes more sense to put higher scores into WIS and STR, than it does for dex.

-D

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads