D&D 5E Tweaking the fighter: bonus to AC when unarmoured or lightly armoured

5ekyu

Hero
Dex based characters have so many advantages they don't need GWM/PAM...
No argument here, just giving an answer why rewriting ruleset to allow it could be desired. Have all the dex advantages plus the rest too.

But it seems often there is a desire to cash out class features deemed "not for those character" for better total options.

Heavy armor is one easily tossed aside if they can get something for it.

BookBarbarian

Expert Long Rester
No gwm pam dex based finesse options. This idea could allow those plus moderate stealth.

The UA Scout Fighter had this one covered too. With high strength for GWM, PAM, Grappling, or Shield Master (all the good strength options really) and 14 Dex and Breastplate the Fighter will still have respectable AC and be able to sneak around fine by adding a half-superiority die roll to the Dex (stealth) check.

aco175

Legend
I like the idea of having something for fighters to boost their AC if they are not in heavy armor. When the PCs are traveling in town or visiting nobles and such they should be in light armor or something. Sometimes they are attacked by assassins or bandits and now the fighter feels like I'm taking it out on him since everyone else has all their stuff. I also do not want something that takes away from others and now we are talking about boosting the thief or paladin.

I'm not sure of having fighters always be able to use something for a shield to get the +2 bonus. Say you are at a banquet and get attacked, the fighter can use a stool or platter as a shield. I'm not sure you can get them to give up trying to get the highest AC unless you have rules for wearing heavy armor like half speed or attacks with disadvantage. I do not think the game is structured that way. You could give magic armor that has cool powers that make them want that instead of plate.

Remove ads