• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Twenty plus one

DanMcS

Explorer
I was curious about the 4e default pantheon mentioned in the two preview books, so I went looking through them and these are the gods I found. There are supposed to be twenty gods plus one.

The Elder Elemental Eye, the Chained God- created the abyss, now imprisoned. I suppose this is the "plus one".

Bahamut- honor, justice, protection
Tiamat- lies, greed, vengeance
Bane- war
Asmodeus- evil, devils
Corellon- magic, eladrin
Sehanine- full moon, elves
Lolth- new moon, drow
Gruumsh- orcs I suppose
Moradin- mining, the forge, created dwarves
Kord- strength, athletics, storms
Vecna- secrets and undead
Pelor- the sun, community, farming
Raven Queen- fate, death, winter
Zehir- night, snakes (originally set)
Torog- mentioned as an evil god
Ioun- knowledge
Avandra- change
Obad-Hai- wilderness
Erathis- civilization
Melora- wilderness

Melora is the only one I'm fuzzy on. She's mentioned in one of the "Dragon 361" articles as being a wilderness goddess that some elves follow. She's the only one not mentioned in either of the preview books, and "wilderness" is already covered by Obad-Hai, so she may just be an exarch, which would mean I'm missing one.

Nothing is said about Torog except that evil clerics might worship him/her.

DanMcS

Explorer
WyzardWhately said:

According to Worlds and Monsters, he's a demon prince but not a god, as he has schemes to destroy the Raven Queen and take her power over death.

It also mentions that demon princes are really tough monsters. So I don't think he's on the list.

Dragonblade

Adventurer
DanMcS said:
The Elder Elemental Eye, the Chained God- created the abyss, now imprisoned. I suppose this is the "plus one".

This is my theory as well.

Tharizdun, the Elder Elemental Eye. God of Entropy, Chaos, and the end of all things. The mad god imprisoned at the heart of the Elemental Chaos by the other gods lest he destroy the universe. The Abyss is the cancer that formed around his prison as his evil leaks from it.

At least this is how it will be in my world. :)

Belorin

Explorer
DanMcS said:
I was curious about the 4e default pantheon mentioned in the two preview books, so I went looking through them and these are the gods I found. There are supposed to be twenty gods plus one.

Bahamut- honor, justice, protection
Tiamat- lies, greed, vengeance
Bane- war
Asmodeus- evil, devils
Corellon- magic, eladrin
Sehanine- full moon, elves
Lolth- new moon, drow
Gruumsh- orcs I suppose
Moradin- mining, the forge, created dwarves
Vecna- secrets and undead
Torog- mentioned as an evil god
Ioun- knowledge
Avandra- change
Obad-Hai- wilderness
Erathis- civilization
Melora- wilderness

Melora is the only one I'm fuzzy on. She's mentioned in one of the "Dragon 361" articles as being a wilderness goddess that some elves follow. She's the only one not mentioned in either of the preview books, and "wilderness" is already covered by Obad-Hai, so she may just be an exarch, which would mean I'm missing one.

Nothing is said about Torog except that evil clerics might worship him/her.

Since the Dragon #361 article is the more recent of the two sources I believe that Melora is the name decided on for the god of the Wilderness.

Bel

DanMcS

Explorer
Belorin said:
Since the Dragon #361 article is the more recent of the two sources I believe that Melora is the name decided on for the god of the Wilderness.

Bel

That's a pretty good guess. I had been thinking that the list was a little male-heavy, as well, so it would good if they went with a female mother earth type.

That might strike Obad-Hai off the list, which would still mean I'm short one. Ah, well.

ZombieRoboNinja

First Post
DanMcS said:

They specifically said in R&C that they're trimming out a lot of the domains pointless for adventurers (e.g. no god of agriculture), so I'm thinking athletics, farming, winter, snakes, etc. might not get specific mentions. Definitely not as domains (if those even exist in 4e).

On another note, they mentioned that each PC race had its own creator-god except for humans (and obviously tieflings). I'm wondering who made halflings. Avandra maybe?

DanMcS

Explorer
ZombieRoboNinja said:
They specifically said in R&C that they're trimming out a lot of the domains pointless for adventurers (e.g. no god of agriculture), so I'm thinking athletics, farming, winter, snakes, etc. might not get specific mentions. Definitely not as domains (if those even exist in 4e).

Who said anything about domains? I was just listing things associated with each god. "Dwarf athletes follow Kord", snakes are mentioned with Zehir, the Raven Queen is "the god of fate, death, and winter". They didn't trim out agriculture, they folded it into Pelor's purview, because a god of JUST agriculture wasn't much good for adventurers, but a god of the sun, healing, agriculture, and generally anti-undeadness would presumably work.

On another note, they mentioned that each PC race had its own creator-god except for humans (and obviously tieflings). I'm wondering who made halflings. Avandra maybe?

Races and Classes says they resulted from an affair between Sehanine and Obad-Hai, and Avandra was very interested in them. If, as speculated above, Obad-Hai is out, that will obviously get tweaked a bit.

Remove ads