• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Twist of Space purposefully affecting allies

mostholy2

First Post
Twist of Space a 7th level encounter power for Wizards in Arcane Power is what could be considered a prototypical controller spell, as it teleports all figures hit by the attack 3 spaces at the descretion of the wizard.

Because of its potentially low damage output (1d6+INT) and minor negative condition imposition (it slows targets for 1 round), it can also be considered for targetting your allies that find themselves in bad situations as the power affects all targets in the burst 1 area (not just enemies).

This being said, is it possible for a willing ally to automatically be targeted by the power so that he can be teleported out of a bad situation? If so, does the casting wizard still have to make the attack roll against the ally?

I know 3.5 used to allow automatic failure of saves, if the target desired, but I haven't found a similar rule in 4.0.

Stalker0

Legend
Officially I don't believe there is any way to automatically let something hit you. That said, I can I few ways to rule it:

1) No difference: Enemy or ally, you have to hit fair and square.

2) Combat Advantage: The typical 4e way to say your guard is lowered.

3) -5 for being helpless: You are as hard to hit as a helpless target.

Since even a helpless target isn't autohit, I wouldn't go the autohit option, but one of those should suit your needs.

Flipguarder

First Post
First off I'm extremely positive there is no rule allowing an auto-hit against yourself.

That being said, I'm equally positive that any circumstance in which allowing an auto-hit mechanic would be considered brokenly overpowered is already by raw overpowered due to the nature of the power rather than the mechanic itself.

DracoSuave

First Post
Yeah, pretty much any rules situation where an autohit can occur to the benefit of the players is already covered by the bag'o'rats rule and subject to possible DM veto.

That said, I'd let the player attack his friends with this if he wanted. I don't know about letting them get a bonus tho. It does damage so it isn't gentle or kind, and there -are- gentle and kind teleportation effects the players would have access to, so the characters' not necessarily going to stand for having his insides ripped apart through arcane space warps.

It might be (1d6+Int+whatever) to the player, but to the character, it's an actual painful injury--something characters don't take lightly in the middle of a life-or-death situation.

Last edited:

Thundershield

First Post
Which would have interesting consequences for powers such as Cure Light Wounds!
Except CLW doesn't have an attack roll, just an effect. It doesn't need to "auto-hit" as it has no "hit" description and the "effect" description happens automatically anyway.

As for OP's question, I'm with DracoSuave on this: The player declares who is an ally and who is an enemy when the power is used and then executes the power accordingly. This means allies can be teleported, but it isn't any easier than teleporting an enemy.

Last edited:

mostholy2

First Post
Thanks for the answers guys. It's obviously not the optimum way of "rearranging the chessboard", but given that it has previously gotten the entire party out of a big jam in a combat before it's not a bad option to get out of a jam.

Previous situation, Party started combat teleported into a unknown depth pit filled with dead bodies, but still 10' to the top of the pit (requiring a climb check to get out of). One creature with reach on the outside of the pit and multiple creatures underneath the party in the dead bodies.

First thing I did was target the whole party (and the creature outside of the pit) to switch places so that the party was outside of the pit and the big creature outside was now subsequently inside the pit.

It was worth doing damage to the whole party just to reverse the disadvantage of the terrain.

On Puget Sound

First Post
My rule: If you want an ally's attack to hit you, you have two options:
1. Don't defend yourself. This grants the ally Combat Advantage, and has no other effect.
2. Actively cooperate in getting hit. This makes you Helpless to your ally, granting the ally +5 to hit, but you grant Combat Advantage to everyone until the start of yoru next turn (tryng to "catch" the ally's spell or effect is taking too much of your attention).

I had to come up with this when I realized that Opening Shove is usually more fun to do to your own side than to enemies, and players were wanting to auto-hit with it.

Remove ads