• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Two-blades ranger with two bastards - kosher?

Snarls-at-Fleas

First Post
Couldn't find anything in the rules against it. One of my players wants to create such guy, can't say it bothers me, just wanted to make sure I didn't miss anything.
So is it possible? We start at 3d lvl, he took a feat for bastard and it's a one-handed weapon and 2 blades ranger can use a one-hander instead of off-hand weapon. Is everythin OK? B-)
Thanks

Milambus

First Post
I'm not sure why you would think that its not rules legal. This is specifically what two-weapon rangers are designed to do, wield a one-handed weapon in each hand.

Well since the image bugs (although it is fine in the RAW) just re-skin to 'superior' longswords (even short sowrds, as long as the stats are the same...your fluff rules :)) or that the longsword remain the same but his feat makes him that much more efficient in using them (that is what we use with our dual bastard sword ranger)

Gort

Explorer
I know. It's the bastard sword that bugs me a bit... they are big!:confused::) (not rules wise)

Well, instead of being bugged by it, try revelling in it. This guy is so amazing that he can use two giant swords where a mere mortal could only use one! Have your more cowardly foes "take one look at the blood soaked maniac with the two huge swords and flee" every so often.

It's clearly what the player wants, and there's no real problem with it rules-wise, so unless it really bugs you and you want the player to stick to only "realistic" concepts (which could land you with a disappointed player) I'd say let him have at it.

A ranger's supposed to be an exceptional, elite fighter, so letting him do something a bit out there isn't so bad.

Gruns

Explorer
Yeah, the image of some pansy little elf running around with two huge Bastard Swords in each hand is pretty lame, but perfectly fine by the rules. I suppose it beats the Drow Ranger dual wielding Scimitars... and now he gets a panther animal companion, too.
Later!
Gruns

aurance

Explorer
Historical bastard swords are quite light and balanced, something in the 3-4 lb. range. Although they were more often used two-handed, it's not a stretch by any means to have them be used one-handed, especially in heroic fantasy of D&D. Among some of the really goofy weapon styles to come out of this game, twin bastard sword usage is actually fairly mundane and reasonable.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads