• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Two different types of damage reduction, which applies?

The_Dood

First Post
I'm adding a template that grants 10/Magic and Silver to a creature with 5/Cold Iron. Just wondering if anone knew of any offical references that indicate what to do.

If not, what do you suggest?

Sejs

First Post
The higher of the two that applies for a given attack.

You have DR 10/Magic and Silver, and DR 5/Cold Iron.

Guy hits you with a mundane weapon - you have 10 DR. It meets none of your DR requirements.

Guy hits you with a cold iron weapon - you have 10 DR. It does not meet the requirement of your DR 10/Magic and Silver.

Guy hits you with a magic silver weapon - you have 5 DR. It meets the requirements for your DR 10/Magic and Silver, but does not meet the requirements for your DR 5/Cold Iron.

Essentially, because you have two different types of DR that have a material requirement, it's very difficult to bypass all of your DR. However, make sure to read the entry on the template you're applying to make sure you actually retain other forms of DR. You may not, depending on the particular wording.

domino

First Post
They'd get 10/Magic and Silver, and 5/Cold Iron.

If struck with a great big, steel sword, or normal magic steel sword, it's 10 less from damage. If it's hit with a magica and silver weapon, the cold iron DR still reduces 5 from the damage.

They overlap, but do not stack. The only way to ignore it completely would be to hit it with a magical, silver, cold iron weapon (cold iron with silversheen maybe?)

It does not give 15/anything, however.

Drowbane

First Post
domino said:
They'd get 10/Magic and Silver, and 5/Cold Iron.

If struck with a great big, steel sword, or normal magic steel sword, it's 10 less from damage. If it's hit with a magica and silver weapon, the cold iron DR still reduces 5 from the damage.

They overlap, but do not stack. The only way to ignore it completely would be to hit it with a magical, silver, cold iron weapon (cold iron with silversheen maybe?)

It does not give 15/anything, however.

Silversheen (iirc) replaces the base material as long as it lasts. So an Adamantine weapon that has been "silvered" nolonger cuts through DR X / Adamantine, nor does it ignore hardness... but it'll f-up Werewolves and the like.

No, it doesn't make sense. RAW can be like that.

Sil

First Post
found this...
Mournload, purple, Magic of Eberron, P142
A Mournload weapon overcomes the DR os undead as if it were crafted of either cold Iron, or Alchemical silver, whichever is more appropriate.

domino

First Post
OR, not both. So, In that case, I'd say it counts as silver, as 10/silver is more than 5/Cold Iron, making silver more appropriate.

But that's just not me.

A couple days alte to the thread, and my apologies if it bumps it improperly, but this seems the perfect place to ask. Cold iron vs Shadows. Any effect? I'm unclear on this.

Staffan

Legend
Sorrow The Man Bear said:
A couple days alte to the thread, and my apologies if it bumps it improperly, but this seems the perfect place to ask. Cold iron vs Shadows. Any effect? I'm unclear on this.
Um... no. Why would there be?

Shadows are incorporeal, they don't have DR. Incorporeal critters need magic to hurt them, preferably Force spells or Ghost Touch weapons.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads