• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Two Dozen Nasty DM Tricks

Reynard

Legend
Supporter
Two Dozen Nasty DM Tricks

Are your players too comfortable? Do they run pell mell into battle, wander confidently through dungeon corridors or loot with abandon? Do they leave town without a 10' pole or iron spikes? Are they certain that whatever they might encounter will be little more than a minor diversion along their path to Epic levels, never truly fearing for their characters lives? If you answered yes to any of these questions, then it's time to face facts: you're a soft DM, a push over behind the screen. Buit don't despair! It's not too late for you to flex your DMing muscles and remind them that it isn't paranoia if you really are out to get them. To help you find your inner RBDM, I've compiled the following list of Nasty DM Tricks you can -- and should! -- spring on them. And when you've worked through this list, start your own and share it with other DMs, so that they too can free themselves from the shackles of wussification.

1. Vials clearly marked as potions of healing filled instead with one of the following: poison, acid or "cause wounds" (this last one is particularly nasty, as a detect magic spell will not reveal the trick).

2. A magical scabbard filled with a powder extracted from rust monsters.

3. A room filled with corpses and covered by an anti-magic zone. When the door on the other side is opened (revealing a wall) a block falls in front of the entrance and the anti-magic zone is removed, reanimating the zombies.

4. Smear contact poison on the mechanism by which a trap would be disarmed. To add insult to injury, make the trap itself harmless.

5. Two words: bridge mimic.

6. The PCs find a bag of holding; unbeknownst to them, there are already 2 rust monsters placed in the bag.

7. A chromatic dragon uses "alter self" to appear as a metallic dragon with the same breath type.

8. An orc witch doctor uses "reduce" on two hill giants, making them appear as orcs, and ends the spell after the PCs have engaged the apparently minor adversaries.

9. A necklace of strangulation is placed by the dungeon inhabitants on a corpse found near a known or obvious trap.

10. Zombies stuffed full of scorpions or spiders so that once they are cleaved open, the swarms attack.

11. A trap covers the PCs in combustible liquid, then looses a cold based creature.

12. A stuck door that is made of balsam wood or an equally weak material, with a pit trap directly behind it.

13. Electrified portcullis.

14. A peep hole into a monster's lair, a treasure vault or similarly inviting location. A basilisk has been secured on the other side.

15. A trap wounds the target, causing bleeding, and then dumps to character into a shark infested pool, tank or pit.

16. In a room where spiked walls start to close in on the PCs there is a trapdoor in the ceiling. The trapdoor is fitted with a scythe blade trap, beheading those who pass through.

17. One trigger casts "transmute rock to mud" on the ceiling, burying the characters. Another trigger one more step into the room casts "transmute mud to rock".

18. Kobolds, goblins or other small nasty humanoids build the access tunnel to their lair/hoard so bigger folk have to crawl through, then add a second tunnel directly above with spear holes.

19. Four mimics in the shape of pillars hold up the ceiling; if they are killed the ceiling collapses.

20. A roper is located behind a spike grate, able to target the characters and drag them into the spikes but not accessible to melee.

21. Illusions create images of menacing, huge webs on the ceiling and obscure a pit trap in the floor.

22. Things to pit in pit traps: spikes, rust monsters, cockatrices, black pudding, water, diseased rats.

23. Handholds or a ladder in a deep pit trap designed to break/release just out of reach from the top.

24. Kobolds or goblins pour injury vector poison on the ground and then let loose a swarm of rats at the party. Running through the poison coats the rats' claws with venom without poisoning the rats.

Celebrim

Legend
Have actually done #10, #13, #18, and most of the list in #22 (never done cockatrices in a pit, have done black pudding, have survived as PC gelatinous cube in pit). Never done either #3 or #21 explicitly, but false doors and some variation on that sort of misdirection is a staple. For example, room contains a puzzle to solve. Solving the puzzle leads to a deadend room with a deadly trap. Actual exit from puzzle room is the secret door puzzle solvers don't bother to look for because they make assumptions about rooms intention. Typically, my version of #3 is the reverse. Room passes normal inspection, but triggered magical effect renders some normal feature of it lethal - breaks enchantment on polymorphed monster, disintegrate trap targets floor, stone to flesh unpetrifies monster, animate dead animates bones in room, etc.

Loonook

First Post
Okay... two from The Expedition to the Black Mirror (Modern module I run now and again, a sort of dungeon crawl in a Wolfram and Hart style corporation's abandoned offices):

1.) Beggar's Tomb/Miser's Tomb: Pretty simple, classic puzzle I don't see a lot in games (and which fools players for a bit: An individual lies with his hands on the ill-gotten gains of a previous room (a suit of armor, gold pieces, whatever metal items would be fitting and noticed missing). The room makes all metallic items weigh ten times as much as they would in normal gravity (magic, special magnets, etc.) A warning is written above the door of "Tempus Fugit" or simiilar cliche 'move your backside' but the item... so intriguing...

The next room is at opposite polarization. If the party spends more than 10 rounds searching or attempting to grasp the heavy item, each most make a Reflex or similar check; any whose (metal item weight * 10) exceeds their own weight, or who fails the check, are thrown upwards into the spiked pit trap.

2.) A Beautiful Rug: A beautifully patterned rug sits in the room, below a chandelier of elegantly curved glass. A search check notes that the rug is covered in dust. Disturbing the dust causes the symbol in the dust to activate, summoning the creature bound in the chandelier (in this case, an electric elemental beastie).

Now, for other clever traps from other games I've played in/heard about.

Tick, Tock, Tick: As the party enters a room, an hourglass or other time piece dangles and begins to fill. The doors slam shut, obviously something is about to occur. If the party attempts to exit out of the sealed doorway to the inner corridors of the dungeon, they find themselves suffocating; the room is a casting mechanism for a spell which makes the air hospitable, one giant decompression chamber for the whole dungeon.

Beggar's Variation: Inspired by Beggar's Tomb, a Tare trap. The room's floor shifts, gears grind... the party looks askance on the rogue for damning them to their current state. If the party passes through the room and has gained any weight (either a new member, or booty) the trap activates.

---

This one I've been thinking about, as it was inspired by a passage in World War Z. An Iron Golem stands in the middle of the room... dilapidated but functioning. Piles of rotting corpses fill the air with a stench... if the Golem is struck by a metal weapon the room ignites :). Alchemy or similar check will tell of the issue with the trap.

Not my favorites, but what comes to mind.

Slainte,

-Loonook.

cjais

First Post
Do people really find these "tricks" exciting? I find most of these so metagamey and reliant on circumstantial knowledge of the player characters (and their spells), it becomes far more about the DM screwing the players over, than about the enemy trying to foil their attempts.

Breezly

First Post
Do people really find these "tricks" exciting? I find most of these so metagamey and reliant on circumstantial knowledge of the player characters (and their spells), it becomes far more about the DM screwing the players over, than about the enemy trying to foil their attempts.

Most of them I find just mean and I wouldn't use against players because I don't think the message would be received well if I did them. It would become too much of a me vs them and that is not the goal of my game. a few of them I can see being used to break up the standard notion of how things work to keep them on their toes and not get comfortable in the way they feel things work.

It's a fun read though.

--Breezly

Reynard

Legend
Supporter

Tricks like these certainly appeal to a specific playstyle, and if that's not your bag or your players' bag they can indeed be viewed as adversarial or a "screw job" (yes, I've been reading KotDT again). But for a particular playstyle preference, these kinds of tricks make the game more fun, challenging the players as much as their characters. Is it metagamey -- sure, but the metagame is the game. Every time you look at your character sheet or examine the mat and minis, you're metagaming. IMO, it doesn't reduce the integrity of the game to expect the players to do so in other kinds of situations, too.

Besides, tricks like these are the fonts from which "tales from the table" flow for years to come.

Remove ads