Two Handed Bludgeoning Reach weapon!?

Razz

Banned
Banned
Ok my friend was making a Swordsage and wanted to use a weapon that was simply an overly long quarterstaff, not a double weapon and obviously a two-handed weapon, but was a reach weapon.

However, out of all the weapons produced by WotC and Dragon Magazine in 3E, we could not find such a weapon. We were led to polearms with hammerlike bludgeons at the end, but that wasn't what he's looking for. He's looking for a quartersatff, pole-arm sized weapon with reach.

Anyone have an idea where we can find it or point us to a real life weapon similar to it?

Legildur

First Post
I think the longstaff MAY be what you are looking for. I can't recall whether it was in Oriental Adventures, Complete Warrior, or another WotC source book. And I also can't recall whether it provided reach, or simply more damage ala Bastard Sword or Dwarven Waraxe. :heh:

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
Legildur said:
I think the longstaff MAY be what you are looking for. I can't recall whether it was in Oriental Adventures, Complete Warrior, or another WotC source book. And I also can't recall whether it provided reach, or simply more damage ala Bastard Sword or Dwarven Waraxe. :heh:

It's not one of those bizarre ones where it has reach if you're Power Attacking for a certain amount, is it?

Edit - ah, no. It makes you unflankable if you're using Combat Expertise or Fighting Defensively. Double weapon, but no reach. It's in Complete Adventurer.

I was thinking of the longaxe, which is a normal melee weapon unless you're using Power Attack for 3 or more, when it's a reach weapon. A mechanic like that might work for a really big staff as well, to represent swinging it from one end for extra reach?

-Hyp.

Last edited:

Parlan

First Post
If you need something to "ground" the idea. Or want a picture to visualize what it must look like:

There's a Japanese weapon called a tetsubo (lit. "iron staff"). In pictures/woodblock prints they're usually very long and often weilded by demons and stuff.

(Actually, there's a wikipedia page for it with a good picture, saying that demons wielded it b/c only they were strong enough)

Might make a good justification for an "exotic weapon" w/ a str prerequisite of 13 and slap on reach too.

Machiavelli

First Post
A weapon with both 5' AND 10' range? That's pretty tough, don't you think so?
Meh, I don't think so. Of course, if something challenges a chain for threatened area dominance, I tend to like it. Chains are too prolific, because they are the only equipment that can reasonably do what they do. Wanna change that? I'm on board.

Split the Hoard

Split the Hoard
Negotiate, demand, or steal the loot you desire!

A competitive card game for 2-5 players
Remove ads