• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Two-handed swords

francisca

I got dice older than you.
I like the greatsword. It's a nice, big, sharp blade for killing things.

However, my mental image of a Two-Handed Sword is more of a Flamberge.

I've seen video and books wherein these were used as a thrusting weapon, a bludgeoning weapon (via the pommel), and used to great effect to disarm opponents with that great big hilt. Also, they were as effective in defense as a shield because of their size.

So, I'm looking for rules which govern these kind of swords as double weapons (the pommel), give bonuses for disarm, and can be used in defense and count as a shield.

I know that a few books list them "per greatsword", but I think they are more than that.

Obviously, this will be an exotic weapon, and using it as a shield should probably cost a feat.

However, as I'm not one to re-invent the wheel, I'd like to see if anyone else has done this. If nothing else is out there, I'll crock up something and post here for help in refining the rules.

Thanks!

Hollywood

First Post
francisca said:
So, I'm looking for rules which govern these kind of swords as double weapons (the pommel), give bonuses for disarm, and can be used in defense and count as a shield.

The feat is already in 3rd Ed, its called Expertise. :)

As for the double weapon, as you said if a character is going to use it as a double weapon, then make it an exotic weapon and give it like d4 bludgeon damage for the pommel.

Thresher

First Post
Youre more or less wanting to take the feats-
Expertise
Improved Disarm

Which should do what you want.
Sure, they are big weapons but they arent large enough to function as a shield, youre not going to stop arrows with one in any case. 2Handers are designed to be defensive in so much as the other guy is lying in 2-3 peices on the ground so he cant hit you :)

francisca

Thresher said:
Youre more or less wanting to take the feats-
Expertise
Improved Disarm

Which should do what you want.
Sure, they are big weapons but they arent large enough to function as a shield, youre not going to stop arrows with one in any case. 2Handers are designed to be defensive in so much as the other guy is lying in 2-3 peices on the ground so he cant hit you :)

Very good point about the arrows.

Thanks for the feedback guys.

DanMcS

Explorer
francisca said:

I know that a few books list them "per greatsword", but I think they are more than that.

Obviously, this will be an exotic weapon, and using it as a shield should probably cost a feat.

Check out this guy's webpage ( http://www.catspawcomics.com/sept/sept.html ). He has a lot of PDFs of material he's written up, and the combat one has rules on greatsword type specialization, including using it as a double weapon. It boils down to: take the Greatsword feat (prereq: str 13, BAB +1) and you can use the maneuvers from the combat PDF, including pommeling as a double weapon, clearing an area, etc. That's the moral equivalent of just using an exotic wpn proficiency on it. Without the exotic wpn prof, use it like a regular greatsword.

But you can read the PDFs, lots of good stuff there.

haiiro

First Post
AEG's Mercenaries stats out the claymore (I believe) based on its two primary uses: 1) holding the hilt and using the blade to sweep a horse's legs out from under it, and 2) switching to gripping the blade (which it states is basically blunt-edged) and beating the hell out of the now dismounted rider with the hilt. :D

I don't have the book in front of me, or I'd go into more detail.

Khaalis

Adventurer
Swashbuckling Adventures

Swashbuckling Adventures is an awesome resource for melee oriented gamers.

For 2 Handed Swords, there is the classic Great Sword (PHB).

They then go on to detail further 2-Handers:

Claymore, Sword of Solomon, Thrusting Sword, and Zweihander (aka Flamberge).

It also has entire sections of Fighting style PrC's 3-5 levels based on "Real World" fighting styles from around the world. The on in particular you would want is called the Drexel Swordsman (based on Historic reference to Germany/Prussia). It even further details the 4 stances of mastery for the Zweihander (flamberge) - Back Stance, High Stance, Forward Stance, and Low Stance.

This book is worth checking out if you like a lot of reality in your system for differing weapon/fighting styles.

francisca

Oreon Starfall said:

beat me to it. There's also a claymore based PrC in there as well if you'd like some variety in your big-honking-sword beatdown skills.:D

And who wouldn't? Woo-hoo!

Thanks to all of you for the great posts.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads