• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Two-Handed Weapon + Shield

JohnnyNitro

First Post
You can carry your Two-Handed weapon in one hand when your not wielding it, right? So could you keep a Shield armed at all times, negating it's +2 AC when you swing your 2-H, but keeping it if you don't make an Attack?

LapBandit

First Post
You could carry a 2h weapon in your hand and wield a shield, however you could not wield the weapon until you dropped the shield (takes 1 action).

Bad Fox

First Post
Could you make attacks with the two-handed weapon with disadvantage? Just curious

The only official ruling that I've seen on this is a tweet by Mike Mearls, who echoed exactly what "Us" said in their response above.

I'd expect that "making two-handed weapon attacks with disadvantage" would come down to whether your DM decides to allow it or not. I definitely would - I don't see any harm in it.

Hriston

Dungeon Master of Middle-earth (He/him)
Could you make attacks with the two-handed weapon with disadvantage? Just curious

I'd say no. If you haven't doffed the shield (requiring an action), then the shield's handle will be positioned across the palm of your hand in such a way that prevents you from wielding a weapon with that hand.

Oofta

Legend
As others have said, the answer is no. If you want to use a shield sometimes and swing two-handed the other your best bet is a versatile weapon. Of course there's nothing saying you can't have a two-handed weapon strapped to your back and pull it out now and then (after removing your shield as an action) pull it.

But basically, there is no loophole to have your cake and eat it too.

The "donning and doffing armor" table in the PHB states that it requires and action to equip or stow a shield - you can't do it with with your free interaction the same way you could draw or sheath a weapon.

Queer Venger

Dungeon Master is my Daddy
Ive seen actual 2 handed swords, (claymores e.g.). Unless you are a size L creature, no way you could accurately swing a 2 hander with a shield strapped to your forearm.

As a DM I would rule 'no.' Drop the shield first to just take the dodge action.

I would allow a 2 handed weapon to be wielded 1 handed with disadvantage much like a halfling trying to use heavy weapons can do. I would not allow this disadvantage to be offset by any advantage.

I have swung an actual great sword one handed. It sucks but it is not impossible.

Oofta

Legend
I would allow a 2 handed weapon to be wielded 1 handed with disadvantage much like a halfling trying to use heavy weapons can do. I would not allow this disadvantage to be offset by any advantage.

I have swung an actual great sword one handed. It sucks but it is not impossible.

Did you swing once or multiple times? Did it throw you off balance? Do you feel like you had nearly the "oomph" (strength mod) behind the swing? I haven't swung a claymore, but I have used an axe. I can't imagine chopping or splitting wood would be very effective with a one-handed axe. I imagine it could be done if you didn't have a choice, but a one-handed axe would be less effective than a hatchet.

In an unusual/emergency situation I might allow someone to swing a two-handed weapon with disadvantage, but I probably wouldn't allow them to add any strength mod and would have the next attack be at advantage. Doing something like this should be an absolute last resort, since it's not even remotely allowed by RAW. I don't follow strict RAW in my games, but there's a difference between

Remove ads