• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Two-handed weapons and spellcasting

Darkside101

First Post
lets just try to be serious for a bit, is this a debate about how long you can take your hand off a weapon b4 your not classed as being "armed" with it? cmon people, we MUST have more to do with our time than that, no body would dare claim that there characters never let go of there weapons in a fight, being sure to keep them firmly in BOTH hands at all times, do me a favor.... as the time and nature or a somanic componant is not given it must be imposible to rule that it doesnt take a moment or two, alowing the spellcaster to atleast defend himself and gain AoO as and when they present themselves, i personaly think a spellcaster should be alowed, as a full round action, to cast a spell with one hand and attack with the other, using all the normal rules of TWF, but thats another thread,
k thats by quids worth

KarinsDad

Adventurer
From what I read of the RAW, there isn't an issue here.

Drop two handed weapon with one hand as free action (as part of casting the spell action).
Cast spell.
Pick two handed weapon back up with one hand as free action (as part of casting the spell action).

You can do as many free actions as the DM allows. Plus, either the first or last free action here can be done on a Move action (depending on whether you perform a move action before or after casting a spell).

Ruling against this is like ruling against the stereotypical Wizard with a staff.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads