• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

two-handed weapons damage

adam_antio

First Post
sorry if this is a stupid question, and sorry if already exists a topic about it, but I'm a bit confused :s

do two-handed weapons deal 1 extra damage, like one-handed versatile weapons when wielded in two hands?

If the answer is no, I have another question: what differences there are between a greatsword and a longsword, since a longsword deals the same average damage of a greatsword when used with both hands*, except that the longsword costs half the price, it can be switched to one-handed any time you want, and it deals one less damage on a critical hit?

*longsword: 2-9 damage, 5.5 average
greatsword: 1-10 damage, 5.5 average

Last edited:

Ryujin

Legend
Two handed weapons don't do the additional +1 damage that versatile weapons do, when they are used two-handed. The big difference comes in when you do a critical.

Dan'L

First Post
Well, you don't deal the average damage, you deal the damage that comes up on the dice (plus whatever else.) The longsword will never be able to roll you that "10," even factoring in the +1 from wielding it two-handed. So, you give that up for a measure more versatility out of the longsword; it's up to you which you would prefer for your character and play style.

Tangential question:
Would a fighter with One-Handed Weapon training still get the +1 to hit when wielding versatile weapons with two hands?

-Dan'L

adam_antio

First Post
I think fighters do not get bonus for weapon talent if they have chosen 2h weapons and then use a 1h versatile weapon with both hands. The bonus regards the weapon's type, not how it's wielded.

Anyway, yes, I did not think about the multiple dice damage for powers, this is the big difference between great and long swords.

Thank you again ^L^

Stalker0

Legend
As was mentioned, two handed weapons utilize high W powers better.

1d8+1 vs 1d10 is the same average, 3d8+1 (avg 14.5) vs 3d10 (16.5) is where you start to see more difference.

There are also a few magic weapons that really utilize two handed styles well.

Alex319

First Post
And don't forget certain powers that give you extra benefits with two-handed weapons, for example Reaping Strike, where you get more damage on a miss if the weapon is two-handed.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads