• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Two headed creatures in Myth, Legend, and D&D

radja

First Post
The city where I live (Groningen) has a coat of arms which features a doubleheaded eagle. I'm not sure it has a specific name though. There may be other doubleheaded creatures in heraldry.

The city where I live (Groningen) has a coat of arms which features a doubleheaded eagle. I'm not sure it has a specific name though. There may be other doubleheaded creatures in heraldry.

There are lots of them -- the Russian eagle, the Albanian one ... I did a little searching but couldn't find names, though, which seems odd given how prevalent they seem to be in heraldry.

Hriston

Dungeon Master of Middle-earth (he/him)

There are lots of them -- the Russian eagle, the Albanian one ... I did a little searching but couldn't find names, though, which seems odd given how prevalent they seem to be in heraldry.

The two-headed eagle was a symbol used in the Holy Roman and Byzantine Empires, and some of their successor states I suppose, to denote a government ruled by the double authority of church and state, for example. I don't think it has a mythological origin.

On the other hand, there is a two-headed bird in Hindu myth called the Gandaberunda, or Berunda, that represents the most destructive form of the god Vishnu. It is sometimes depicted as holding a full-grown elephant in each of its claws.

Remove ads