• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Two Heads from One?!

Da Man

Explorer
What the heck do you do when a pc tries to poly into something with two heads?

How could two thinking brains come from one?

Or, does it work another way?

Thanks!

Jones

Number47

First Post
You mean like an ettin. I don't think anywhere in the description of an ettin does it say that it really acts as if it had two separate minds. It says that one head controls one arm, the other head controls the other arm. But for effects like Charm Monster, one spell charms the entire creature. So, unless you play that ettins contain two personalities, I would allow it. Don't get two concerned with the physiology, it's magic.

Da Man

Explorer
No, I'm talking about something with two separate minds.

So, if an Ettin does not have two separate minds in your games, then I would not be talking about an Ettin.

I am wondering about turning into what we classify as a SINGLE creature but has more then one mind. If you classify an Ettin as such, then insert that monster. If you classify a Hydra as such, then insert that monster.

If you have no such creatures in your gaming world, thanks for your time anyway.

appreciate it

Crothian

First Post
I'd give the PC some hefty minus cause he's not used to trying to think with two brains. I think the spell would give him the ability to function as the creature in question, even if it had two brains. However, I think the alien nature of the creature would be very hard for a normal human (or elf, dwarf or other single minded race) to handle.

What creatures do you think have two seperate minds?

Number47

First Post
Hmm. What if the creature with two separate minds is a spellcaster(s). Would you allow it to polymorph into two separate creatures?

Da Man

Explorer
I was thinking along these lines too.

First, I was thinking about rolling a random personality and put it in there. Either let the Player play it or let one of his comrades at the table play it (for the Type B of the Pair).

Then, I was thinking that I could just let one head be dead or Dumb in the literal sense of the word. That seemed sort of boring.

Finally, I thought about actually going your route, which I am glad you brought up. The creative side vs the science side. Probably make for a laugh or two.

With regard to the minuses, this question was spawned by the Ettin's Spot Bonus, which is as a result of having 2 heads (or partially so). So, I am trying to reconcile how I would deal with this.

Instead of a penalty AFTER the change (which is workable), I was thinking of increasing the DC of the check necessary for polymorfin'.

Thanks!

Da Man

Explorer
With regard to a creature with two heads polymorfin'...

Hmmm.....again, this is new ground for me.

It woud depend on the outcome of this discussion for me. If I went with the line of thought that each head is but a different part of the whole, I would say no. A two headed spellcaster would simply become a single headed creature.

Only in special circumstances would I allow the two heads to advance in separate classes. Or, that's the way I am leaning.

Jones

Number47

First Post
I suppose a good way to do it is that it polymorphs into one creature, but that creature will have two heads. Ouch. Two-headed trolls.

Remove ads