• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

two new metamagic feats

MeanGenes

First Post
Hi,
I'd like some input as to how balanced these feats are or any suggestions for improvements.

Feat: Spell Extension
Prereq: Extend Spell
Description: A spell cast with the Spell Extension feat has a duration that lasts one unit of time higher than normal. The spell must have a minimum duration of 1 round. For instance, a spell that lasts 2 rounds/level now lasts 2 minutes/level. This feat raises the spell by 3 levels. The units of time are as follows: round -> minute -> 10 minutes -> hour -> day -> week -> month -> year -> decade -> century -> millenium.

I think this feat is more versatile (applicable to more spells) but not as powerful as the Persistent Spell Feat.

Feat: Accelerated Spell
Prereq: any metamagic feat
Description: A spell cast with the Accelerated Spell feat has a duration that lasts one unit of time lower than normal. The spell must have a minimum duration of 1 round. For instance, a spell that normally lasts one minute/level now lasts 1 round/level. This feat lowers the spell by 1 level to minimum 0 level. The units of time are the same as above except that a spell that lasts one round/level is now instantaneous.

Technik4

First Post
Accelerated Spell can be dicey. A mage armor that lasts minute/level is pretty awesome for a 0-level slot, shield isn't quite as good at 1 round/level, but again for a 0-level slot its worth consideration. Sleep is pretty irrelevant and would make a great 0-level spell.

There are way too many good 1st level spells that get turned into 0-level spells with this feat.

The other one is similar to one I designed for Seasong, Stretch Spell. I only mandated a 1 level adjustment per increasing time steps, but it has a limitation to the caster being awake (so stretching a mage armor from 1 hour/level to 24 hours still only lasts as long as the caster is awake).

Technik

MeanGenes

First Post
I think you're right about Accelerate Spell. I think I'll change it so that there is a change of two units instead of 1. So from 1 hour/level, it drops to 10 minutes/level then to 1 minute/level. I think a 1 minute/level mage armor at level 0 is fine. This would also change the minimum duration from 1 round to 1 minute (A spell cannot work if it happens faster than instantaneous). But I would also add that if a caster has enough levels to boost the duration into the next category, then he can start subtracting units from the new category. For instance, 12th level wizard has a shield duration of 12 minutes which fits into the 10 minute category. An Accelerated Shield would then last 1 round (12 minutes -> 1.2 minute -> 1.2 rounds). Always round down.

As for your metamagic feat, I think 1 level/unit is not high enough. Extend spell doubles the current duration, and most unit boosting is by a factor of 10. I'd say a minumum of 2 spell levels/unit (with the caveat that the spellcaster must be awake) would be about right for Stretch Spell.

Remove ads