Two New Settings For D&D This Year

if it comes out this year i would agree with you. Possibly published by a third party company that has a good reputation (Green Ronin etc) However if it’s coming next year I would stake all the money in my pockets that it will be a Curse of Strahd style book. Campaign with background and new monsters etc. Curse of Strahd was too successful not to repeat!

if it comes out this year i would agree with you. Possibly published by a third party company that has a good reputation (Green Ronin etc)

However if it’s coming next year I would stake all the money in my pockets that it will be a Curse of Strahd style book. Campaign with background and new monsters etc. Curse of Strahd was too successful not to repeat!

Well Joe Manganiello is a huge fan of Dragonlance and is working on the developing the D&D movie, so my guess is Dragonlance for the "normal" offering. Planescape would be my guess for setting book #2 with maybe DarkSun next year.

MechaPilot

Explorer
While I love both Spelljammer and Planescape, unfortunately, I don't see this as anything to get excited about.

It's clear we're not getting setting books. They make it pretty clear with the CoS comparison that any fleshing out of the setting will be minimal in nature, and that it'll be rooted in FR.

Also, Spelljammer (and any seafaring D&D game in general) needs good ship-to-ship combat rules. The closest thing we've gotten so far to a battlesystem that layers over the existing D&D game is the mass combat rules, and those are nothing to write home about.

Also, I have no love at all for Dark Sun. I tried it once, and I really didn't care for it (the only reason I bought the 4e dark sun book was for the character themes and the inherent bonuses to replace magic item bonuses). Dark Sun's just not my cup of tea, but I'm glad it exists for people who like it. That said, if Dark Sun is one of the things they're going to let us lick off their fingers then I truly hope 5e's psionics aren't the "it's like magic, but magic will always be superior" system of 3e style psionics. And nothing I've seen so far really gives me any incentive to believe it'll be anything other than that.

I'd love to see Eberron get some love, though I suspect that won't happen (even in such a limited capacity as this). If they're talking about appeal to "hardcore" fans, they may well do Greyhawk and Birthright, neither of which catch my fancy.

I mean, I hope I'm wrong. I hope we get great books that really give us what we need to play in and to run these settings (which is to say mechanical updates to things like Dragonmarks, the races of the various settings, the moon-based magic of DL, artificers, solid ship-to-ship combat rules, the domain rulership stuff I've heard about from Birthright, etc). But, you won't catch me holding my breath.

guachi

Hero
If they really were going to hit the "hardcore" fans, they could do so and really piss a lot of people off at the same time by giving us Al-Qadim and Kara-Tur.

An Arabian styled setting and an Asian styled setting... and yet both of them are still Forgotten Realms. LOL! We'd get a whole morass of people freaking out that we when we get all new campaign settings we still aren't leaving Abeir-Toril. ;)

I'd love al-Qadim and I don't like the Forgotten Realms. I never got the books when they were new but I did get everything a few years ago cheap (relatively) online. One boxed set was still shrink wrapped!

The only setting that had long term support that I'd be surprised to see would be Mystara. I don't consider al-Qadim or Birthright as settings with long term support (intentional in al-Qadim's case and maybe Birthright but I can't say for certain).

Though after 20 years Mystara, despite being a generic setting, has more and more differences, though Tortles aren't one of them any longer. Hollow World would be a great setting for and adventure and could plausibly have anything in it.

I'm up for anything, but I can't say I get the draw of Planescape or Spelljammer.

Aside from the city of Sigil, the draw is travel to other planes (settings) as well as the traditional visits to the Hells, the Abyss and every other unlivable local that adventurers want to go to. And die on. Which, with an adventure book could open up a number of other settings. Minimal page investment to give the flavor of several other setting, and (probably) open them to Guild use. All imho, of course.

AmerginLiath

Adventurer
I would assume that the new settings are going to be either Oerth and Athas or Planescape and Spelljammer, I doubt that Eberron could make an appearance, and (although it would be awesome) Aebrynis will never, NEVER be revived.

I would love to see Birthright revived as another of the D&D “board games,” perhaps using two boards (a domain board and an adventure board) with an option to continue the same Domain Game across multiple games of the Adventure Game.

Knightfall

World of Kulan DM
Hell's Belles (My Guesses)

Hmm... Interesting. :hmm:

View attachment 98150

I guess the one that I've marked as Ravenloft could also be Birthright, but I don't think it would come second in the video. Also, the Greyhawk/Nerath and Eberron guesses could be switched. The third one that appears looks a lot like the Eberron logo from the 3E era books.

Last edited by a moderator:

bedir than

Full Moon Storyteller
One of my favorite thing about settings rumors is that I get to read a little bit about a lot of settings I never encountered as my playtime stretches from 84ish-98ish and 15 to present. We did Realms, DragonLance, Spelljammer, Ravenloft and knew of Greyhawk. I think that's it.

vpuigdoller

Adventurer
I would love Mystara/Hollow World, Greyhawk or Eberron. I think we will get Planescape and Spelljammer. I could care less about Dark Sun or Dragonlance now that I think about it.

Remove ads

Remove ads