D&D 5E Two of my Players are Getting Married (Dome of Heaven Players Ignore)

ichabod

Legned
As the title says, two of my players (who have been in a relationship before the campaign started) are getting married. I wanted to give their characters some small in game gifts, maybe minor magic rings. This is slightly complicated by their characters not having any relationship beyond adventuring together. I haven't been able to think of anything good. Does the community have any ideas?

You know your table better than I, but if you do this, I wouldn't recommend that it have too much of a mechanical advantage attached. I think some of the problem also becomes that the two characters don't have any special attachment to the other.

Oofta

Legend
I wouldn't do something in game for them myself. I might do something game-related in real life like paint a special mini (if you use them) or go to heroforge and make custom minis for them. Maybe something like matching dice? I don't know the people, so I can't really say what would be appropriate, other than that if you want to give them a gift it should be a gift to them, not their PCs.

I wouldn't do something in game for them myself. I might do something game-related in real life like paint a special mini (if you use them) or go to heroforge and make custom minis for them. Maybe something like matching dice? I don't know the people, so I can't really say what would be appropriate, other than that if you want to give them a gift it should be a gift to them, not their PCs.
Yeah, I would do something for the people themselves. Nothing in game.

greg kaye

Explorer
Ask them, "Ideally, is there anything you'd like to develop for your character in terms of items or advancement in abilities or skills?"

When GMs give items it could be because the GM wants to build the character.

Players may either want to build things in their own way or they may like having a curve ball thrown at them.

jgsugden

Legend
Well, I'm a bit messed up. So I'd insert a storyline where a Celestial/Fiend/Fey/Dragon being (take your pick) has been mating with humanoids for millenia and all of the descendents of that being are now finding a minor ability (or a few minor abilities) is/are beginning to manifest as that being moves a master plan towards completion. And good news: Both the PCs share that common ancestor! So they both get the minor abilities ... and you could pick little a few little quirky things from their wedding toasts to manifest as the abilities. For example, if one of them always knows when their new spouse is coming come, give them the ability to sense when another descendent is nearby.

Clint_L

Hero
I think it is a lovely thought to want to give them a gift that is related to the game you share together. On the other hand, they have made a choice not to have their D&D characters romantically connected, so you want to respect that. It is a bit of a conundrum. I agree that you never want to build the player's character for them.

Instead of an object, what about working something into the adventure that nods to the real life event? For example, maybe they have to work out a puzzle that revolves around two intertwined rings the party discovers carved into a floor. Or maybe they have infiltrate a wedding for some reason, without disrupting the ceremony. And so on or so forth.

Or, of course, you could give them a small IRL gift such as nice, complementary dice - for example, fancy D20s for special rolls only.

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
During the next session have the party find, in some completely ridiculous place where it makes no sense whatsoever, a great big mostly-white cake with small statues on top that look remarkably like the two players.

Up to you whether eating the cake holds any benefit. Were it me, I'd go one of two directions:

--- if I wanted to be nice (if boring), eating the cake would provide some sort of once-per-day healing benefit, the degree of this benefit slowly waning over time as the cake got stale - e.g. eating some now gives 20 points curing, eating some tomorrow only gives 10 points, eating some the day after only gives 5, and so on
--- if I wanted to be more chaotic, eating the cake would provide a one-time random effect; intentionally beneficial to the characters of the two who just got married and maybe or maybe not beneficial to anyone else; and minor in any case. After that, the cake just becomes extra rations.

Remove ads