• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Two Psionic Items

Greatfrito

First Post
Okay, these two were inspired yesterday by watching a lot (and I mean a friggin' ton) of Invader Zim. We all decided that his backpack was far too cool to not exist in DnD in some form. The gauntlet was just sort of an added bonus.

Ectoplasmic Harness: This large crystaline orb is attached at the back of a black harness, allowing one to wear it like a backpack. The orb has four small indentations on it where puddles of ectoplasm seem to reside at all times. When the wearer uses the proper command thought several large tendrils of ectoplasm stretch out from the indentations. These tendrils can be used for several purposes.
Locomotion: The wearer's base land speed is increased by 20 feet. He also gains the ability to walk on vertical surfaces or even upside down along ceilings at a speed of 20 feet, leaving his hands free as he is held suspended - right side up - by the legs. Severely slippery surfaces - icy, oiled, or greased surfaces - make these legs useless.
Grappling: The wearer uses the tendrils to grapple opponents, gaining a slam attack with 10 foot reach that deals 2d6+6 damage and has the Improved Grab ability. If it hits with this attack it can attempt to start a grapple as a free action without provoking an attack of opportunity. It has a grapple bonus of the wearer's base attack bonus +8 and is considered large.
Aid: The wearer gains a +4 circumstance bonus on any Climb, Disable Device, Escape Artist, Jump, Pick Lock, Sleight of Hand, Tumble, or Use Rope skill checks.
The wearer of the harness can activate the tendrils three times per day, and they remain active for one hour or until dismissed. During this hour, they can be used for any of the above purposes, though they cannot perform more than one of the above actions at once.
Moderate conjuration; ML 8th; Craft Universal Item, ectoplasmic form, polymorph; Price 36,000.

[[Everything seems to be best described by attributing it to the "Polymorph" power, so that's where I'm putting it, but with increased spell level for being "extended" to an hour.

*Command Thought (Like Command Word but better, so Spell Level x Caster Level x 2,000)

*3 Charges/Day (x3/5)

total by these=

4x8x2,000x3/5=38,400

... which sounds like far too much, because treating each ability as seperate, and making them usable all day would cost:

5,500(boots of striding and springing)+4,800(slipers of spider climbing)+(1,600x7)(skill bonuses other than jump, 'cause that's included in the boots' cost) x 1.5(the 50% increase for taking up only one slot) =32,250

... which means that I was wrong, so I'm gonna say that around 35,00 or 36,000 would be the best bet.]]

Gauntlet of the Blade: This gauntlet appears to be steel, but is in fact ectoplasm that holds the shape of a gauntlet until the command thought is issued by the wearer. When commanded the gauntlet attaches to and asorbs part of whatever weapon was held in the hand at the time, givng the user the benefits of a graft weapon power until the command thought is reissued, which returns the gauntlet and the hand to normal. A grafted weapon gains a +1 bonus to attack and damage rolls and cannot be disarmed. However, so long as the wearer has a weapon attached he takes a -2 penalty on all skill checks involving use of his hands. Moderate Transmutation; ML 10th; Craft Universal Item, graft weapon; Price 20,000.

[[Okay, so this one is based on a 5th level power, which should, by all accounts, be counted as a continuous effect for a spell with a normally much longer than 24 hour duration, so it comes out to

*Continuous(but 24+ hour duration normally) (spell level x caster level x 1,000)

total=

5x10x1,000=50,000

... which again sounds far too high, though I don't know exactly how to deal with it. Honestly, an item with a similar effect (maybe better) is the Guantlets of Ogre Power, which have a cost of only 4,000. Considering that this item will stack with both enhancements to str and to the weapon itself, I'd say a good 4x is in order, but that only brings it to 16,000. Looking at it, I'd say that every character would have one of these for that much. For that much, one could get a belt of giant strength +4 for double the benefit, and none of the drawback, but if one already had a belt +6, he could get this too for an added benefit. An item with almost he same benefits (perhaps more power even) is the Bracers of Archery (greater), which is put at a cost of only 25,000. I'd say that the gauntlet is between these two in cost, and slap it right at about 20,000. I wouuld consider like 25,000, but the drawbacks on all skill checks make it a little less useful, and a bonus on ranged attack/damage is much better than one on melee attack/damage.

... so I'm putting it at 20,000 for my purposes.]]

Any thoughts?

Try http://boards1.wizards.com and go to the Psionics forum (forum #30).

This is a less-traveled part of a non-psionic website, so what do you expect?

I have no idea how to price something that gives a speed bonus, but I would like to point out that psionic items do not have auras of Transmutation or any other school of magic.

Remove ads