• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Two psychmetabolism powers for review

Destil

Explorer
Suppose I drop metamorphosis and its big brother from the Egoist list for rules reasons (i.e. I don't want to deal with shapechange, regardless of balance). Would these be fair replacements, too weak or overpowered?

Vampiric Conduit
Psychmetabolism
Level: Egoist 4
Display: Thermal
Manifesting Time: 1 action
Duration: Concentration (maximum of 1 round / level)
Range: Medium (100 ft. + 10 ft. / level)
Target: One living creature
Saving Throw: Fortitude partial
Power Resistance: Yes
Power Points: 7

This power steals life-force from a creature, healing another. The target looses 20 hit points each round you concentrate on this power, a successful Fortitude Save halves this amount and makes the creature immune to the power for the remainder of the duration, a creature that fails the Save is subject to the full effect for the duration (a creature only gets one chance to make this save). Any other living creature within range of the power of your choice is healed an equal amount to the damage dealt, though if the power kills the target it only heals a damage equal to the targets' hit points. The power ends if a target leaves the power's range, each round you may choose to target a new creature.

Augmentation

For 2 every extra power point you spend the damage (and healing) increase by 5 points and the Saving Throw DC increases by 1 point.

Vampiric Nova
Psychmetabolism (Death)
Level: Egoist 9
Display: Thermal
Manifesting Time: 1 action
Duration: Instantaneous and 1 round per 5 levels(see text)
Range: Medium (100 ft. + 10 ft. / level)
Target: One living creature
Saving Throw: Fortitude partial
Power Resistance: Yes
Power Points: 17

This power saps all life-force from the target in a brilliant burst of white light, leaving a withered husk at the center. On a failed saving throw the target dies, taking damage equal to it's current hit points + 1, on success it instead takes 8d6 damage.

In either case life energy erupts from the creature and forms a glowing aura of silvery-white motes of light. The aura fills a 50 foot radius spread, illuminated as if by torchlight with shadowy illumination extending for an additional 20 feet. The aura has the same number of hit points as the damage the power dealt and and lasts for 1 round per 5 levels, it can not be damaged or dispersed in any way. As a swift action you can collect this energy and channel it into a living creature within this area, healing them any amount of hit points up to the amount in the aura. These hit points are subtracted from the aura's total, and once all hit points are spent or the duration expires the aura fades away.

Augmentation

For 2 every extra power point you spend the the damage on a successful save increases by 1d6.

If you spend 2 extra power points you can use the life force from the aura to grant creatures temporary hit points as well as healing, though a creature must already be at full hit points first. Every temporary hit point granted drains 2 hit points from the aura and these temporary hit points last 1 hour.

For every 2 power points you spend on augmentation this power's save DC increase by 1 point.

Flame_Excess

Explorer
I like the ideas you got there.

I do not have a lot of experience with psionics but what comes to mind is overpower. I would reduce 20 damage to maybe 4d6 (4-24) and for the second ability, I would remove the 8d6 damage in case that the fortitude save is failed or lower it because 8d6 will often already mean death or at least, it will be a 8d6 healing.

DreamChaser

Explorer
Make Vampiric Conduit Range: Short and allow a save each round and it would be balanced. The way it is now, it blows other damaging spells / powers out of the water, because it heals at the same time.

Additionally, in the vein of other drain spells / powers, this should probably only heal half of the damage amount.

Vampiric Nova is 9th level so power level wise it seems fine. Just convoluted.

DC

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads