• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Two rules questions

Bluewyrm

First Post
1. Do the rules allowing a "prone-save" apply to "forced teleportation" the same way they apply to forced-movement? There are several warlock powers that allow your to forcefully teleport an opponent, I'm wondering if they could be used to teleport people off cliffs, into spikes, so forth.

2. There are several instances where creatures (or objects) have resist X to all damage. Would that apply to non-typed damage as well? I would think so, but I've seen posting here that imply otherwise, and that seems incorrect to me.

Mort_Q

First Post
1. I don't have my books here, but it is my understanding that off a cliff is not a valid target square for teleportation. That is, if I recall correctly, you can only teleport someone to a valid square. You can never forcibly move an opponent vertically either.

2. Yes, all is all.

Tale

First Post
Number 1 is a DM call. Reasonably, it's hard to imagine someone making a saving throw in the middle of instantaneous teleportation to grab a ledge.

Palladion

Adventurer
1. Do the rules allowing a "prone-save" apply to "forced teleportation" the same way they apply to forced-movement? There are several warlock powers that allow your to forcefully teleport an opponent, I'm wondering if they could be used to teleport people off cliffs, into spikes, so forth.

2. There are several instances where creatures (or objects) have resist X to all damage. Would that apply to non-typed damage as well? I would think so, but I've seen posting here that imply otherwise, and that seems incorrect to me.

1. PHB 286, there is no limitation to where you can teleport, as long as you have line of sight.

2. PHB 276, you are correct, resist all is resist all. Untyped damage is also covered by "resist weapons" usually.

Bluewyrm

First Post
Like, the way I read the teleportation rules, the only restriction is "can't be squeezed". And I am fine with the idea of teleporting someone off a cliff or into some hazard (pc created or otherwise). To me that is just good tactics and should be rewarded. But it doesn't seem like I should be able to teleport people "up into the middle of the air". That just seems too universally available to be there and not be broken. Has this been addressed somewhere in an errata perhaps?

Last edited:

Aservan

First Post
Teleporting into the air has not been addressed to my knowledge. The designers in general seem to have a blind spot when it comes to the 3rd dimension.

The problem with not allowing 3 dimensional movement comes with stairs, ledges, hills, cliffs and any other piece of stuff that happens to rise above the ground you are standing on. There is no good reason that you can't teleport people into the air. You could teleport them over a pit trap right? That is exactly the kind of tactical thinking that Mearls seems to encourage (and I agree with him). So why not in the air?

It is not the problem some people think it is. Falling doesn't do that much damage. By the time those powers appear monsters have lots of HP and being prone is not the game ender it was in 3rd (it is more realistic now). Most big bad evil guys can fly by the time PCs can teleport them. Teleporting is more dangerous for PCs because they have limited access to flight and fewer HP.

Remove ads