• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Two Solo Monster Adaptations - Please critique

Vyvyan Basterd

Adventurer
I wanted a solo basilisk appropriate for a 4th-level party. So I took the Venom-Eye Basilisk and reduced its level to 5. Then I converted it to a solo creature. I followed the DMG guidelines for the numbers and changed the creature's powers as suggested. Of course the suggestions for power changes are left open to the DM, so I would like a critique of the changes I made and an assessment of whether the creauture is balanced as a level 5 solo.

Thanks in advance!

Code:
Venom-Eye Basilisk				      Level 5 Solo Artillery
Large natural beast (reptile)			  	        XP 1,000
Initiative +3			Senses Perception +8
Bilious Miasma aura 2; living enemies that begin their turn in the aura 
are dazed until end of the venom-eye basilisk’s next turn.
HP 276; Bloodied 138
AC 24; Fortitude 24, Reflex 21, Will 18
Saving Throws +5
Immune poison
Speed 6
Action Points 2
 Bite (standard; at-will)
     +10 vs. AC; 1d8 + 2 damage.
 Venomous Gaze (minor; at-will)  Gaze, Poison
     Area burst 1 within 10; +10 vs. Fortitude; 1d10 poison damage,
     and ongoing 5 poison damage (save ends). As long as the target is
     taking ongoing poison damage from this attack, the target deals
     2 poison damage to all creatures adjacent to it at the start of its
     turn.
Alignment Unaligned		Languages –
Skills Stealth +8
Str 19 (+6)		Dex 12 (+3)		Wis 13 (+3)
Con 21 (+7)		Int 2 (-2)		Cha 8 (+1)

Last edited:

Vyvyan Basterd

Adventurer
Another solo creation for the same adventure, based on the Shambling Mound:

Code:
Giant Sundew				Level 4 Solo Brute
Large natural animate (plant)  			               XP 875
Initiative +3		Senses Perception +2; darkvision
HP 240; Bloodied 120
Regeneration 5
AC 20; Fortitude 20, Reflex 17, Will 14
Saving Throws +5
Immune lightning; see also lightning affinity
Speed 4 (swamp walk)
Action Points 2
 Tendrils (standard; at-will)
    Reach 2; +7 vs. AC; 1d8 + 4 damage.
 Enveloping Quadruple Attack (standard; at-will)  Healing
   The giant sundew makes four basic attacks. If two attacks 
   hit the same Medium or smaller target, the giant sundew
   makes a secondary attack against the target. Secondary attack:
   +7 vs. Fortitude; the target is pulled into the giant sundew’s
   space and restrained (save ends) and glued (-5 to saving throw). 
   Vinegar applied to a glued target (a standard action) allows the 
   target a +10 bonus to its saving throw. While the target is restrained,
   no creature has line of sight or line of effect to it. At the start of
   the giant sundew’s turn each round, the enveloped target
   takes 10 damage and the giant sundew regains 10 hit 
   points. The giant sundew can envelop up to four creatures at a 
   time. When the target makes it save, it reappears in a square of
   its choice adjacent to the giant sundew.
Lightning Affinity (immediate reaction), when hit by a lightning
   attack; at-will)  Healing
   The giant sundew regains 10 hit points.
Alignment Unaligned		Languages –
Skills Stealth +8
Str 22 (+8)		Dex 12 (+3)		Wis 10 (+2)
Con 20 (+7)		Int 5 (-1)		Cha 10 (+2)

For the basilisk it seems that it'll get relatively boring pretty quick. It'll basically blast and bite each turn.
You should think about giving it a couple more things like a tail swipe when its flanked that knocks the opponent prone, or a claw attack and then a stronger attack that allows a double claw attack. Make claws more accurate than the bite but doing less damage than the bite ?
Possibly a power that happens at bloodied like it claws each opponent within reach. And a last breath when it dies with a burst 1 as the party ruptures its poison sacks and they explode.
combining this guy with a few smaller spitting lizards would also be interesting.

Cheers,

Vyvyan Basterd

Adventurer
For the basilisk it seems that it'll get relatively boring pretty quick. It'll basically blast and bite each turn.

The base creature is basically blast OR bite each turn.

You should think about giving it a couple more things like a tail swipe when its flanked that knocks the opponent prone, or a claw attack and then a stronger attack that allows a double claw attack. Make claws more accurate than the bite but doing less damage than the bite ?

The aura makes it difficult for this creature to be flanked very often. The double claw attacks might work, I'm just concerned over balance. It would give more options though.

Possibly a power that happens at bloodied like it claws each opponent within reach. And a last breath when it dies with a burst 1 as the party ruptures its poison sacks and they explode.

The bloodied power doesn't seem to fit for me. Basilisks are slow, plodding creatures. I see the attack on bloodied power as one attributed to a swifter creature. The ruptured poison sacs upon death is a good idea, IMO.

The base creature is basically blast OR bite each turn.

True, what I'm pointing out is that this monster will just do both each round. there will be no variance which is unfortunate for an elite / solo. When I use solos / elites I want them doing a bunch of things, rather than just repeatedly doing the same thing. Dragons breathe fire once, then double claw someone, then try to bite someone else, etc. Rather than bite, followed by a breathe.

The aura makes it difficult for this creature to be flanked very often. The double claw attacks might work, I'm just concerned over balance. It would give more options though.

With the amount of movement in 4E you'd be surprised. Flanking is still possible. But its fair, I'd missed the aura when I first read the monster's description.

The bloodied power doesn't seem to fit for me. Basilisks are slow, plodding creatures. I see the attack on bloodied power as one attributed to a swifter creature. The ruptured poison sacs upon death is a good idea, IMO.
Glad you liked the ruptured poison sac idea. And on the multi strike is fair, I also see them as plodding creatures. But even plodding creatures [sloths, rhinos, cows] can move in an awful hurry when they get stabbed repeatedly.

Another thought is that the basilisk's breath weapon is a concentrated blast of its aura, and so the aura won't work in a round the thing breathes. That way at least it gains some variety. Then you can add a tail slap attack as a minor action for it to do when it doesn't want to breathe that just knocks someone prone with minimal damage.

Just thoughts

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads