• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Two stats per defense!

Keenath

Explorer
I questioned WotC_Shoe on using an odd order-of-attributes in his blog post, and he replied with an interesting tidbit!

WotC_Shoe said:
Str, Con, Dex, Int, Wis, Cha. A slight re-ordering, as we've paired ability scores to match their respective defenses. Str and Con feed into Fort, Dex and Int feed Ref, and Wis and Cha feed Will. More details on exactly how will probably follow from the D&D Experience experience.

Toryx

First Post
Now this, I really like. Bravo.

So far I've liked everything they've done with the ability scores. So that's something.

HeinorNY

First Post
Pit Fiend Defenses now make sense.
We were assuming this in the Character Sheet thread. Good to know it's confirmed.

PIT FIEND

STR +24
CON +21
Fort 10 + 24 + 8 = 42

DEX +20
INT +19
Ref 10 + 20 + 8 = 38

WIS +18
CHA +22
Will 10 + 22 + 8 = 40

The higher modifier applies.
That also means INT modifies AC if it's higher.

Last edited:

I'm A Banana

Potassium-Rich
What's wierd is that these seem directly keyed to the class abilities we've seen for the Rogue.

He's a Dex-based character (so he doesn't really need Int), and he can choose to be a Str-based guy (so he doesn't really need Con), or a Cha-based guy (so he doesn't really need Wis).

Not sure how I like that....it makes characters who are Strong and Hardy or Quick and Intelligent or Persuasive and Wise incompatible, for the most part.

Knight Otu

First Post
Snarls-at-Fleas said:
What about halfling paladin:
Fort & Will are OK, but Reflex doesn't add-up.
Though maybe he has some class/race/size bonuses.
Shields appear to give a bonus to the Reflex savedefense (I'll learn it one day). Heavy shields are apparently a +2 bonus.

Good to have it fully confirmed. :)

Mirtek

Hero
ainatan said:
Pit Fiend Defenses now make sense.
We were assuming this in the Character Sheet thread. Good to know it's confirmed.

PIT FIEND

STR +24
CON +21
Fort 10 + 24 + 8 = 42

DEX +20
INT +19
Ref 10 + 20 + 8 = 38

WIS +18
CHA +22
Will 10 + 22 + 8 = 40

The higher modifier applies.
That also means INT modifies AC if it's higher.
Why + 8? As a level 26 monster, shouldn't it be +13

Jack99

Adventurer
Kobu said:
I was hoping for this change. It makes perfect sense.

How does it make sense? I can (almost) get the strength relating to fortitude defenses, and the charisma on will defenses, but how on earth do you justify Int for reflex defenses (other than "game balance").'

I love what I have seen of 4e, but this I have a lot of trouble wrapping my head around..

Remove ads