• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Two swift actions in one round

geosapient

First Post
Mistwell said:
Can you name any of the one in twenty cases where a swift action and another one as a standard action would be obviously bad? I cannot. In fact, one could add a metamagic enhancement to a swift spell to increase it's casting time and do it that way, right?

I think Snake's Swiftness (mass) is a swift action spell in the miniatures handbook. If a DM allowed that spell during a standard game then -all allies- would be getting 2 extra attacks per round that the caster could keep putting out 2 of those spells.

I think that would be kind of a bad thing (depending on which side of the screen you're on).

DarkKestral

First Post
RangerWickett said:
I once had it pointed out to me that an epic spellcaster who took Automatic Quicken Spell 3 times ends up only able to cast 1 spell per round, because all his spells are swift, and he just. can't. spend. more. time. casting. them.

Actually, he can always choose to not quicken his spells, as auto-quicken just means he doesn't have to use higher level spell slots for his quickened spells.[sblock]Automatic Quicken Spell [Epic]
Prerequisites

Quicken Spell, Spellcraft 30 ranks, ability to cast 9th-level arcane or divine spells.
Benefit

You may cast all 0-, 1st-, 2nd-, and 3rd-level spells as quickened spells without using higher-level spell slots. The normal limit to the number of quickened spells you may cast per round applies. Spells with a casting time of more than 1 full round can’t be quickened.
Special

You can gain this feat multiple times. Each time you take the feat, the spells of your next three lowest spell levels can now be quickened with no adjustment to their spell slots. This feat doesn’t increase the casting time for those spells that normally become full-round actions when cast in metamagic form.[/sblock] Plus, that epic spellcaster can take the Multispell epic feat multiple times, thereby allowing him to cast as many spells per round as he has multispell feats + 2 additional that they would normally get... Interestingly, if we consider core only to be PHB/DMG/MM1 + XPH + Epic level handbook, quicken spell + auto-quicken spell x3 is a VERY valuable set of feats for a sorceror, despite their normally getting no value from quicken spell, because by the RAW, the auto-quicken negates the entire problem of metamagic spell cast time increase, thus giving the sorc the ability to use metamagic like a wizard does for all of their spells while ALSO giving them the wizard's ability to quicken their spells.

Darklone

blargney the second said:
Badge of Valor, MIC 208. (It's in the Magic Item Sets chapter, which screws me up all the time!)
-blarg
Looks like they want to see marshal/bards. Duh. Thanks.

Sirea

First Post
Mistwell said:
For those curious...I was interested in being able to cast the spell Inspirational Boost (a swift action spell from Spell Compendium that increases your Inspire Courage by +1/+1) and a Badge of Courage (a swift action item from Magic Item Compendium that increases your Inspire Courage by +1/+1). It seemed silly to me that I could not technically use both in the same round, because each is a swift action.

Maybe I can talk my DM into letting me craft a Badge of Courage that triggers as a a move-action instead of a swift action, at the same cost.

Unfortunately Inspirational Boost says "If you don’t begin to use your inspire courage ability before the beginning of your next turn, the spell’s effect ends."
If you spend your standard action on activating your Badge of Courage, you won't be able to start your Inspire Courage song before Inspirational Boost's effect ends.

Edit: Obviously, if you could get to activate a Badge of Courage with a move action, then it would work.

Last edited:

Vrecknidj

Explorer
This pokes an interesting whole in the whole "action" issue.

It seems like, if a swift action takes less time than a standard action or a move action, especially since it's quite common for someone to take all three in one round, that taking two swift actions shouldn't be a problem (in terms of time).

If we say that there's a reason why someone cannot take two swift actions in a round, and try to give that reason in terms of the game, either within the game context itself, or within the mechanics, it turns out to be a rather embarrassing challenge, I think.

Part of me wants to break the whole thing into discreet quanta. A "not an action" action takes 0 quanta of game time. A free action also takes 0, but subsequent free actions could take 1 or more, based on DM fiat. An immediate action takes 1, but, unlike other actions, can take place on another's turn. A swift action takes 1, but can only be taken on your turn. A move action takes 2, and a standard action takes 2. A full-round action takes 5.

Something goofy like that.

Dave

Christian

Explorer
Vrecknidj said:
Part of me wants to break the whole thing into discreet quanta. A "not an action" action takes 0 quanta of game time. A free action also takes 0, but subsequent free actions could take 1 or more, based on DM fiat. An immediate action takes 1, but, unlike other actions, can take place on another's turn. A swift action takes 1, but can only be taken on your turn. A move action takes 2, and a standard action takes 2. A full-round action takes 5.

Something goofy like that.

The trouble with doing something like that is, some pimped-out wizard will start tossing five quickened spells in a round. :uhoh:

Christian

Explorer
Christian said:
The trouble with doing something like that is, some pimped-out wizard will start tossing five quickened spells in a round. :uhoh:

Although, now that I think about it, the fix that was under discussion at the top of the thread fits OK into this sort of system.

6 action points available per round.
Free action: 0 for the first, 0 or 1 (DM call) after
Swift action: 1 for the first, 3 for the second
Move action: 2 for the first, 3 for the second
Standard action: 3 (limit 1)
Full-round action: 5

Last edited:

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads