• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Two thoughts on Pathfinder 2e playtest

Charlaquin

Goblin Queen (She/Her/Hers)
The way I play, circumstance bonus/penalty, conditional bonus/penalty, item bonus/penalty, and untyped penalties are all rolled into one number called Difficulty. But from what I've seen, Pathfinder players are perfectly cool with that long list.
I agree. I think this difference in style comes down to a difference in who the rules are written for. Pathfinder has always been what I would consider a “players’ game,” and difficulty is squarely in the hands of the GM. If all the circumstantial, conditional, and miscellaneous sources that might modify the difficulty of a check are rolled into setting the DC, then the GM has all the power. The players can’t rely on the player-facing rules to confirm that the DC is being set “fairly,” they just have to trust the GM’s judgment.

For the record, I think mutual trust leads to better games, and think that rolling bonuses and penalties into the DC is the better way to go. But I can see where the other side is coming from, even if it’s not my preference.

Arakasius

First Post
Well, there's a trade off.

5e: don't need to track the bonus type. Simply add everything together.
PF2: track types to limits stacking. You can't add everything together.

Yeah I think it’s a solid one. 5e you can stack stuff, but it’s very short term and takes decent resources. PF2 the resources are a bit more open, but the math comes down to one person one buff. (Because all buffs are a single type, there is no 5 different types of buffs like PF1 where you did have to track types) Whether it’s bless, heroism, etc just one is all you need. I think PF2 goes even harder to restricting buffs than 5e because the rule basically now is you can benefit from one attack buff and you’re done.

Eltab

Lord of the Hidden Layer
1) This seems like madness!

On page 291 of the rulebook:

How does anyone look at that and think fun?!
I look at that (the big blank is where your quoted text ought to be) and think "I need to write up a table to list each PC's normal mods."

jimmifett

Banned
Banned
While I find it interesting, and will likely play it, it's starting to look very 4e-ish in certain areas. Not always a bad thing, but in this case, possibly a bad thing.
Lots of actions (action cards here we come), a basic strike action, the action economy...
While this is fine for myself and most of my players who can strategize and math on the fly, I can see it grinding to a halt with players that wait until their turn to make decisions.
I foresee a return of Turn Sandtimers.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads