• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D General Two underlying truths: D&D heritage and inclusivity

Cadence

Legend
Supporter
I was looking through the spells that involve being humanoid - like Charm and Reincarnate.

In 1e and 2e, the random table for Reincarnate brought you back as pretty much anything (was badger on the list?). It looks like 1e didn't specify what could be reincarnated (although it noted it worked for all PC races), 2e specified person. In 3e/PF it is any type of creature coming back as a creature of that type - so the humanoids random table is a wide variety of humanoids (from Bugbear to Elf). In 5e it can bring back any humanoid, but the random table only does so as a PhB race.

It feels like how these spells work is a part of the structure that will need to change if they change humanoids. If gnolls or lizardfolk are no longer humanoids, then charm and reincarnate are off the table? If humanoids are humanoids, then reincarnate is wide open. If reincarnate is wide open, it brings up something of the metaphysics of what has a soul or spirit. (Do monstrous creatures not have one a la Percy Jackson?).

Dire Bare

Legend
Or else they fit the narrative of LIZARD people and are being portrayed how lizards act in nature. There is no cannibalism, since they eat the flesh of different races.

The neutral alignment is appropriate, because they do not act with regard for law, chaos, good or evil.
I don't know why I'm finally responding to one of your posts, but . . . .

You seem expert at dismissing reasonable positions others hold with poor debate tactics, like overly narrow definitions of words shared only by you.

In the real world, cannibalism is defined as humans eating humans. Or, people eating people. We don't have examples of other sentient races, like lizardfolk, orcs, or elves eating other sentient races . . . . .

I think most reasonable people, in a sci-fi or fantasy setting, would define cannibalism as "people eating people", or, sentient species eating other sentient species. To use an overly narrow definition, that lizardfolk only engage in cannibalism if they are eating other lizardfolk . . . . yeah, that's just being pedantic and argumentative for it's own sake.

I'm going to sound off on this, as I'm currently playing one and spent a lot of time figuring out what this all means...

So, here's the difference. Imagine, for a moment, that you were talking about deer. Deer are to be stalked, killed, and devoured? That's what a human hunter thinks, too. Nothing evil about that. Game taken back to camp to be part of a feast? Sure, that's normal.

In a pretty archtypical image of a druid, they care for both beasts and sentient creatures - and they generally are thought of as elevating the beasts to the level of sentient creatures in considering their welfare. Lizardfolk do that in reverse - lowering sentient creatures to the level of beasts in their concern for their treatment.

Evil creatures typically enjoy the suffering they cause. An evil carnivore will capture you, demean you, feed you disgusting food, leave you thirsty all the time, and then inform you of how they are going to eat your child first, alive, slowly, just to watch the pain on your face.

Evil creatures also choose to advance by way of harming others, and they over-consume. Evil will kill you to gain money, power, and higher position.

Lizardfolk will capture you, but do nothing for the purpose of causing you pain. You aren't kept long, and your death will be quick and efficient. And they do so only to put food on the table. They don't seek social, political, or economic power or other self-aggrandizement, or particularly notable expansion.
See, I love the description of the Lizard folk. It is written like a National Geographic description of any species or animal. It notes their physical and social behaviors but does not go into detail - with the exception of their particular god.

I think it would be interesting to see every race written up this way.

Also, I agree with your take on the difference between how an evil creature might take in their prey vs how the lizardfolk do it.

Last edited:

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
I don't know why I'm finally responding to one of your posts, but . . . .

You seem expert at dismissing reasonable positions others hold with poor debate tactics, like overly narrow definitions of words shared only by you.

In the real world, cannibalism is defined as humans eating humans. Or, people eating people. We don't have examples of other sentient races, like lizardfolk, orcs, or elves eating other sentient races . . . . .

I think most reasonable people, in a sci-fi or fantasy setting, would define cannibalism as "people eating people", or, sentient species eating other sentient species. To use an overly narrow definition, that lizardfolk only engage in cannibalism if they are eating other lizardfolk . . . . yeah, that's just being pedantic and argumentative for it's own sake.
Words mean things. I'm not going to expand the definition of cannibalism just because you guys think it's cool to do so. The game designers have also said that the game is written with the common usage of words in mind. So cannibalism would be eating the same race, not eating humans.

I wasn't being pedantic at all, but thanks for calling me out for being dismissive and then being dismissive of me in the same breath.

Why do we need the wizard, sorcerer, and warlock? And really, outside of metagame mumbo-jumbo, what's the real difference between an "arcane" caster and a "divine" caster?

Well, I'm on the side that Sorcerers and Warlocks are redundant. So, while your example might sway some people, it doesn't really change my opinion.

Also, given how similar the spellcasting lists are, there is very little difference between divine and arcane casters other than fluff.

My point with the Shaman was, rather than add a new 'similar' class, why not just fold it into an existing one and make the existing ones a bit more flexible? I mean, it was just a suggestion. I'm not sure WotC is going to make any changes to the existing classes other than some descriptive wording. Holy Person is a lot more generic.

Cadence

Legend
Supporter

I had a neutral Bugbear cleric once that would have argued with you on this. He would have agreed with

Evil creatures also choose to advance by way of harming others, and they over-consume. Evil will kill you to gain money, power, and higher position.

Lizardfolk will capture you, but do nothing for the purpose of causing you pain. You aren't kept long, and your death will be quick and efficient. And they do so only to put food on the table. They don't seek social, political, or economic power or other self-aggrandizement, or particularly notable expansion.

that his fellow Bugbears that tortured or overate was them being evil. But if they wanted to butcher a prisoner that was killed anyway, then that isn't evil. Now my bugbear wouldn't eat a dead human captive in front of the party because he respected that it offended him. But he would have defended doing so in private - it is the nature of Bugbears to eat other humanoids, and how is it right to deny something fulfilling its nature if it harms no one else? Is not doing so actually evil?

Oofta

Legend
I am, with great trepidation, addressing this prior comment because I see it as being a fundamental divide that tends to preclude agreement about many things. I understand the impulse, but I think that when it's said categorically (like here), it subsumes a great deal of the nuance that should be implicit in the statement. For example, much earlier in this thread someone gave a good list explaining why the Satanic Panic was different than the current situation; that requires more explanation that just, "If someone says that they're hurt by something, you shouldn't ask questions, you immediately stop doing that thing."

With the understanding that I am not trying to be an authority on this, or anything, here are my thoughts as to why I'm not sure I can agree with that. I apologize for the length of this reply, but I am not going to start another contentious thread on this topic! :)

PLEASE NOTE- THIS IS A LONG POST AND COMES AROUND TO A POINT DIFFERENT THAN HOW IT LOOKS AT THE BEGINNING.

A. Good faith, no faith, and bad faith.

We assume that people, at all times, are operating in good faith, both because it is the right thing to do, and because it's a better way to live you life. Unfortunately, that's not always the case. Sometimes people say that they are offended for reasons .... political reasons, getting even, because they think they are showing some type of hypocrisy in other people, whatever. I don't want to be forced to list examples, but I know that we can all think of them.

The reason I say this is that for this reason, I think that there is an uncomfortable tension; on the one hand, "offense" is a subjective measure. What offends one person (our group, etc.) is often different than what offends another person (or group). On the other hand, since we can't ever truly know what people think, we have to accept that there is some, objective standard of offense that we can look at or we can never weed out the (hopefully exceedingly rare!) cases of people raising offense in bad faith.

Not to mention the so-called "mixed" cases. Where people target people they don't agree with and try to find something in their past that might be offensive to their current beliefs or supporters, and then use that. In that case, the subjective motivation was in bad faith (the person wasn't offended) but once the thing is brought to light, it might be objectively offensive.

Oof.

B. "Everyone lies. The innocent lie because they don't want to be blamed for something they didn't do, and the guilty lie because they don't have any other choice."

I don't want to dwell on this, but people (sometimes) lie. To use a quick example that recently made the news, someone set up multiple twitter accounts to (apparently) lie about certain Riverdale actors. During the Satanic Panic, there were occasions when people lied (for profit, publicity, pressure, or other reasons) about things they purportedly saw regarding D&D. And so on.

C. "People like Coldplay and voted for the Nazis. You can't trust people, Jeremy."

If you've ever been to a meeting of your local government, or even had to deal with homeowner's association, or got in a spat with a neighbor about the tree on the property line, you know that people don't agree about everything. People have all sorts of bizarre, terrible, and weird opinions, and even worse, some don't agree with me!

People are idiosyncratic and messed up and not monolithic. And not just people, groups of people, too. This is important when it comes to art and literature. The very same comedy, or horror, that one person finds stimulating, exciting, and transgressive might be offensive to another person, because tastes are not always the same. A blanket statement such as the one I bolded, taken literally, would require that almost all comedy, all horror, all drama, all irony, and so on be reduced to the blanket level to pablum to ensure it does not offend anyone. And I am sure that there is someone, somewhere, that could be offended by that.

But ... but ... but ....

1. Systemic and structural issues do need to be addressed.

I shouldn't have to write this, but D&D should be a game that is inclusive. There shouldn't be outdated racial (or racist) stereotypes in the game. Maybe (maybe....) there is some confusion about an absolute alignment system and humanoids, but I don't think there can be any confusion about the portrayal of Vistani and the historic issues with the portrayal of the Romani people.

2. Traditional Power Imbalances are Often Codified.

D&D (and a great deal of nerd culture) traditionally reflected a white, male, straight (cisgender), Eurocentric paradigm. Greyhawk, for example, had the mysterious "jungles" to the south of the map where there were, and I quote from the '83 version, where civilized traders would get "rare woods, spices, ivory, and gold which they wrested from the jungle savages." Not just savages, "cannibal savages" with "blowguns."

Many of this early material, by the way, did not mean that the creators were overt racists, or sexists, but it simply reflected that mindset; of course there were dark jungles to the south with cannibal savages with blowguns! Of course the evil elves were dark-skinned (because living in caves makes you ... black?)! Of course the art in early D&D featured attractive and scantily-clad (or unclad) women, because, you know, fantasy art! Of course the NPCs in Curse of Strahd were just called gypsies and reflected terrible stereotypes of the time because it was 1984 and no one in America was seriously thinking about the depiction of the Romani people! And so on.

To the extent that these materials are brought forward, they need to be examined from time to time. And there can be an issue with people (usually, but not always, part of the traditional power) who simply don't understand what the problem is. Because of course they wouldn't! It was always going to reify their own outlook.

3. Eternal debate is tiring. And just as offense can be in bad faith, so can debate.

Look at this thread. Look at every thread. Sometimes, you just want to say, "ENOUGH." It is a truism that people will argue, just for the sake of argument. They will whatabout until the cows come home. And then there will be trolls, and then there will be other people who join in and ask the same questions, and it just gets tiring.

TLDR: I don't agree with the part I bolded. But I understand the impulse to say it. I think in this case it is preferable to say that certain stereotypes are a legacy that the game does not need, makes the game less inclusive, and hurts people by continuing to perpetuate negative stereotypes.

I appreciate what you're saying, even if I don't think it will have much impact.

However, I do object to something in this post. "Oof"? Really? Can you show no sensitivity at all to those of us with Scandinavian ancestry?

The proper phrase is "Oofta", or if you're really gosh-darn serious then "OoftaMeg". But just "Oof"? I find that insensitive and insist that you stop. :mad:

Cadence

Legend
Supporter
I appreciate what you're saying, even if I don't think it will have much impact.

However, I do object to something in this post. "Oof"? Really? Can you show no sensitivity at all to those of us with Scandinavian ancestry?

The proper phrase is "Oofta", or if you're really gosh-darn serious then "OoftaMeg".

Oofta! You actually made me go goole that oof was indeed just an onomatopoeia.

Snarf Zagyg

Notorious Liquefactionist

The proper phrase is "Oofta", or if you're really gosh-darn serious then "OoftaMeg". But just "Oof"? I find that insensitive and insist that you stop. :mad:

Skål!

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads