• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

two-weapon combat ? how does the damage work?

gamefreak180

First Post
ok so i am trying to figure out how damage is applied to two-weapon combat so say i have two successes after spending a triumph to hit with my off hand weapon

the two weapons are a basic lightsaber damage 6 and shoto lightsaber 5
so for the purpose of the question lets ignore breach 1 and give the target soak 3

so i hit and deal 5 damage with the basic lightsaber now do i deal 2 or 4 damge with the shoto lightsaber reason why i ask is because i do not know if the successes are applied to the main weapon or the main weapon and the off hand weapon

Chimpy

First Post
You add one purple die to the difficulty of the check for a two weapon attack. If you hit with the main weapon, you may spend two adv. or one triumph to hit with the offhand weapon. You use the same damage dice for both hits.

So if you rolled 5 overall successes, you'd deal 11 damage (not taking into account soak) with the main lightsabre, and if you got at least 2 advantage, 10 base damage with the shoto.

gribble

Explorer
Yep, that's my understanding. For your specific example (assuming the 2 nett successes includes the triumph, which provides both a success and "infinite" advantage): you would, as you say, deal 5 damage with the first lightsaber hit (6 + 2 successes -3 soak, ignoring breach) plus 4 damage with the shoto (5 +2 successes -3 soak, ignoring breach) for a total of 9 damage.

Urbanmech

Explorer
Each hit from a two weapon attack can also be a critical hit if you have the advantage to pull it off. The second critical does not benefit from a +10 to the roll as criticals are accounted for after each action.

aramis erak

Legend
Each hit from a two weapon attack can also be a critical hit if you have the advantage to pull it off. The second critical does not benefit from a +10 to the roll as criticals are accounted for after each action.

A single action results in a single critical roll per target... if you trigger 5 crits (I've seen it happen),that's one roll at +40. (+10 for each prior critical hit, too).

gribble

Explorer
A single action results in a single critical roll per target... if you trigger 5 crits (I've seen it happen),that's one roll at +40. (+10 for each prior critical hit, too).

That matches my understanding. The applying the damage from the offhand weapon does *not* count as a second action - it's simply a second instance of damage from the same action. So if you trigger crits with both weapons, that's still only one roll (with +10).

Urbanmech

Explorer
Two weapon combat and Autofire can crit per hit if you have the advantage to spend. You can still spend advantage to increase the severity of a crit if you are attacking a tough rival or nemesis.
From the FFG Boards:
Multiple Critical Rolls with Autofire
Asked by 2P51:
Can you roll multiple critical hits with a single attack, if the attack lands multiple hits, ie, you get 3 hits on an auto fire attack and theoretically have enough advantages for 3 critical hit results.

Answered by Sam Stewart:
Criticals are generated on a "per hit" basis. So if you've got multiple hits, you can have multiple crits, just one per hit.

Urbanmech

Explorer
If you are attacking a minion group each crit can drop a minion. Mostly useful when dual wielding pistols or vibroknives. Most auto fire rifles do enough damage to drop minions that way. But if you are attacking a rival or nemesis that higher crit roll may cripple or kill them.

Remove ads