• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

two-weapon fighting ?

TheFlamingRheo

First Post
Okay, I have spent the last few days thinking of a new character to play andhave finally decided on the Ranger, no comments. I remeber someone telling me that two-weapon fighting only applies to melee weapons but when I checked there was nothing saying that you cannot apply this to ranged weapons. So I am thinking of using two pistols. If I am able to use the ranger abilities with the pistols I would also like to know if there is any way to make them auto-reloading. In addition does rapid shot also apply?

Tony Vargas

Legend
The official word is aparently that TWF aplies only to melee attacks. Ambidexterity, however, still aplies, so if you're using two (presumably light) pistols, you'll only be at -4/-4.

Lily Inverse

First Post
The official word is aparently that TWF aplies only to melee attacks. Ambidexterity, however, still aplies, so if you're using two (presumably light) pistols, you'll only be at -4/-4.

TWF for ranged weapons is a separate feat, and the Ranger doesn't get it. You can still TAKE Ranged TWF separately. That's the word I've heard, anyway. Not sure if that's completely official, but it's still how I'd do it.

TheFlamingRheo

First Post
This is what my PHB says about two-weapon fighting
two-weapon fighting:

you can fight with a weapon in each hand. You can make on extra attack each round with the second weapon.

Benefits: Your penalties for fighting with two weaponsare reduced by 2

Special: the ambidexterity feat reduces the attack penalty for the second hand by 4.
A ranger wearing light armor or no armor can fight with two weapons as though he had the feats two-weapon fighting and ambidexterity.

Where does it say anything about melee or ranged attacks?

Lily Inverse

First Post
Page 100 of the first printing of the PHB, reprinted here for your convenience, starting from the beginning of the Heavy Crossbow description, with the relevant sections italicized.

Crossbow, Heavy: A heavy corssbow requires two hands to use effectively, regardless of the user's size. You draw a heavy crossbow back by turning a small winch. Loading a heavy crossbow is a full-round action that provokes an attack of opportunity.
A Medium-size or larger character can shoot, but not load, a heavy crossbow with one hand at a -4 penalty. A Medium-Size or larger character can shoot a heavy crossbow with each hand at a -6 penalty, plus the usual -4 penalty for the off-hand attack (-6 primary Hand / -10 off-hand). The Two-Weapon Fighting feat does not reduce these penalties because it represents skill with melee weapons, not ranged weapons.. The Ambidexterity feat lets someone avoid the -4 off-hand penalty (-6 primary hand / -6 off-hand)

While a pistol would not suffer -4 for one-handed use, the other relevant sections still apply. Two-Weapon Fighting does not affect ranged attacks.

TheFlamingRheo

First Post
Whats wrong with the word girl, does that make you feel insignificant? Okay I am just asking Olidammara and Norebo to damn the PHB for screwing me over. Also, would you people stop correcting every little thing I do?

Crothian

First Post
TheFlamingRheo said:
Whats wrong with the word girl, does that make you feel insignificant? Okay I am just asking Olidammara and Norebo to damn the PHB for screwing me over. Also, would you people stop correcting every little thing I do?

The PHB is not screwing you over. However, you might want to talk to someone about thinking that a RPG company has it in for you. :D Rapid shot is basically the ranged version of two weapon fighting. Except of course you can do both at the samne time, so I guess that makes the ranged two weapon fighting even better.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads