• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Two weapons and casting spells

Kaledor

First Post
This might be a really easy question and I'm just not seeing it. sorry...

(I understand that a spell with non-verbal components requires at least one free hand...)
I have a player that is now using 2 weapons in combat and casting arcane spells.

Assuming he starts the round holding both weapons and wants to cast a non-verbal component spell. What are his options:

1) (Free Action) drop a weapon to the ground, (Standard Action) cast the spell, (Move Action) pick up the weapon from the ground -- with the last two actions provoking AoOs (unless he casts defensively).

2) (Move Action) sheath a weapon, (Standard) cast the spell, (Free) 5' step (and as part of that movement redraw the weapon b/c his BAB is over +1) -- in this case the first two would provoke AoOs...

Am I missing anything here?

Now, the player would like to simply have his character place both weapons in one hand as a free action, cast as a standard action, and still have a full move action remaining. Or perhaps, hook a weapon under his arm as a free action and still have the standard and move left.

I'm just looking for input here.

Bagpuss

Legend
Infiniti2000 is correct.

Alternatively - Use a double weapon, removing and returning a had is a free action.

Or use a lanyard so that when you drop the weapon (free action) it just hangs from your wrist, so you can move off without leaving it behind. A generous DM might even left you draw it back into your hand as part of that move action.

Kaledor

First Post
Infiniti2000 said:
1. Okay.
2. A 5ft-step is not a "regular move" so that is not possible. Instead, use quickdraw.

Interesting.
I don't think I've ever caught the "REGULAR" part of that phrase, but when I look back at my rules... there it is. We always assumed it just said, "as part of movement" and since the 5' step is movement, we allowed it. hmmmm.

MarkB

Legend
Kaledor said:
Interesting.
I don't think I've ever caught the "REGULAR" part of that phrase, but when I look back at my rules... there it is. We always assumed it just said, "as part of movement" and since the 5' step is movement, we allowed it. hmmmm.
Drawing a weapon requires, in any case, a minimum of a move action (unless you have quickdraw). It's just that, if you're even marginally good at combat, you can take that move action while your feet are moving you around.

I can hold two swords in one hand if I just want to carry them. Why not allow him to shift one weapon to his other hand, cast the spell, and then retrieve the weapon.

Li Shenron

Legend
RangerWickett said:
I can hold two swords in one hand if I just want to carry them. Why not allow him to shift one weapon to his other hand, cast the spell, and then retrieve the weapon.

It's probably realistic enough (at least with most weapons), but for some reason it's a kind of thing I don't feel comfortable allowing...

Wasting a move action to pick up a dropped weapon is not a terrible price IMHO that wouldn't be worth the concept of a two-weapon wielding spellcaster.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads