• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Twofold Pact and Hybrid Warlocks

Dire Human

First Post
Does Eldritch Pact (Hybrid) count as the regular Eldritch Pact class feature? Because if so, this:
Twofold Pact

Tier: Paragon
Prerequisites: 11th level, Eldritch Pact class feature

You gain a second Eldritch Pact. You gain the at-will spell and pact boon of both pacts. You can use only one of your pact boon benefits at a time, however.

Source: Dragon Magazine Annual 2009
just became my hybrid Warlock's new best friend. What, exactly, is stopping me from taking the feat literally and having two pact boons and three Warlock at-wills (Eldritch Blast from the hybrid at-will slot, pact 1's at-will, and pact 2's at-will) on a hybrid character?

Stuntman

First Post
Does Eldritch Pact (Hybrid) count as the regular Eldritch Pact class feature?
Yes. You can take this feat because the hybrid Eldritch Pact enables you meet the prerequisites.

What, exactly, is stopping me from taking the feat literally and having two pact boons and three Warlock at-wills (Eldritch Blast from the hybrid at-will slot, pact 1's at-will, and pact 2's at-will) on a hybrid character?
This:
Eldritch Pact (Hybrid): This class feature
as the warlock class feature (​
Player’s Handbook,
page 130), except that you don’t gain the at-will attack
power or the Pact Boon granted by it. This means you
meet prerequisites that require the pact you choose,
and you can use the benefits tailored for it in certain

powers.

You still have to choose your at-will. If you choose EB, you cannot choose your pact's at will and vice versa.

Khime

Explorer
I believe that the OP is focusing on the text "You gain the at-will spell and pact boon of both pacts." Now, for a normal Warlock, this is basically reminder text, since they already have the at-will spell and pact boon for one pact, and this feat is granting them the at-will spell and pact boon for both pacts; you had 1 before, now you have 2. However, a Hybrid Warlock doesn't already have the at-will spell or pact boon, and the text of the feat specifically says "You gain... of both pacts", which implies that if you had 0, you now have 2.

The intent is obviously that you only get one extra, since when that feat was written there was no kind of Warlock that really had no pact boon or at-will spell from their pact.

Last edited:

Remove ads