• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E TYP Tomb of Horrors - Need Clarification [SPOILERS]

I'm prepping to run ToH for my group in a few weeks and with my read through I am actually checking my understanding and that "everything works". But it doesn't. I expect more questions as I dive deeper and hope you all will help me figure things out.

But the first one is; Location 3 & 4.
The text of location 3 (the entrance) describes the wall by the concealed west door as having a depiction of a iron door that confines a horrid creature. This door also happens to be right where the map shows location 4. But, location 4 (Fresco of Wizardly work) describes what is on the wall very differently, a pair of jackal humanoids holding a chest.

So, which description is correct? And I assume the pit only operates as described in location 4, not the default pit trap mentioned in location 3.

Dale Libby

Explorer
Those two areas are next to each other. Area 4 is just north of the concealed door/passage (marked 3A on an older map).

1640213010911.png

Last edited:

Awesome, thank you!

Now, how do I deal with that on the current map?
Screen Shot 12-22-21 at 04.09 PM.PNG

I guess just move the trap north so that it is next to/north of the door? If I'm doing that, I wonder if I should move it elsewhere? Or from your map it looks like originally their were two pits next to each other, one part of the jackal trap and the other a normal pit in front of the concealed door.

Dale Libby

Explorer
... Or from your map it looks like originally their were two pits next to each other, one part of the jackal trap and the other a normal pit in front of the concealed door.
That is correct. The "trap door" that is opened by pulling the lever in the box jutting out the wall is where the 4 is marked. A regular covered pit - as marked on the map - is in front of the concealed door.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads