• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Typical per-round damage output of a 16th level party?

Drowbane

First Post
My party is quite possibly not your party...

...but at least two of our number would one-shot that Dragon... during the surprise round.

Last edited:

Pinotage

Explorer
Drowbane said:
My party is quite possibly not your party...

But we've been known to do in the neighborhood of 1500 a round if pressed (and that is a conservative number).

At 16th level? This I got to hear...

Pinotage

carborundum

Adventurer
My occasional weekend party spoiled all my fun last weekend with the 6th level cleric spell "touch of agony" - effectively doubling all damage every round by matching every point with a point of subdual damage. In one round they dished out 700 points of damage against my CR18 Advanced Gargantuan Horrid Froghemoth. And they were 13th level.

So watch out for that one if subdual works. It's amazing what a party can dish out when the time is right!

Foret

First Post
I found another way the party could pose a threat to the Dragon at long range.

Summoned Air Elemental Monolith (Complete Arcane pg 156). Sure it's a 9th level spell, but considering it does 6d6+11 per attack (before modifiers for Power Attack) gets +34 to HIT (before subracting for Power Attack), can OUTMANEUVER the dragon in the air, and has DR 15, AC 31 (before Dodge, and Air Mastery) AND 378 hps to boot, it would occupy the Dragon nicely. :D

Perhaps the tower should have a ward to prevent summoning within it's confines?

codyknotts

First Post
When is the part #9 coming out?

Our group is about to finish part #8, unlike many groups we have been playing all along and the delay is about to force us to move on to another campaign. When is #9 and the remainder coming out.
Thanks for the great product btw.

Cody

codyknotts said:
Our group is about to finish part #8, unlike many groups we have been playing all along and the delay is about to force us to move on to another campaign. When is #9 and the remainder coming out.
Thanks for the great product btw.

Cody

It's in layout right now, so it should be ready by next Friday or Saturday. My sincerest apologies for the delay. The rest of the adventures after number 9 will be shorter (20-ish K, instead of the 40K the last few have been), and so should be coming out on schedule.

By the way, if you have the time I would love to hear some of the highlights from your campaign so far.

Average damage depends greatly on whether a party of that level has a bard or not. Inspire Courage is EXTREMELY powerful. Even with only one of the myriad boosting effects out there (such as the swift spell Inspirational Boost), that's +4 to hit and damage at 16th level. It's especially good for archers and for summoned allies, who are often two of a party's best weapons against a dragon.

16th-level ranger vs. AC 33, with Dragon as a +2 favored enemy, +6 Dex, +3 bow of +3 Str, WF, Haste, and Improved Rapid Shot: that's +27/+27/+27/+22/+17/+12 for 1d8+8 damage (avg 13.75 per hit without Improved Crit). Average damage is 42 pts per round.

Now give him +4 to hit and damage. Average damage shoots up to 76 pts per round, nearly double. Inspire Courage will be even better for PCs, animal companions, and summoned allies who have a lesser chance to hit than the hypothetical ranger does (the lower your attack bonus, the more that +4 helps you). Your basic Huge Air Elementals will go from 9.6 to 19.6 pts of damage per round (thanks to 57% more hits and 31% more damage per hit).

Give the dragon a higher AC (say, 36), and the relative benefit of Inspire Courage is even greater.

green slime

First Post
The dragon could have a gust of wind, wall of wind effect or similar to aide it against archers.

What with the counterspelling and healing.

Another alternative against casters is a ring of spell turning, to handle stuff that gets through. That will also serve as a damper on their enthusiasm.

Sunaj2k3

First Post
Festival of Dreams in December?

Hate sounding like a member of the skipping record brigade, but will we see The Festival of Dreams before Christmas or the end of this month?

Aside from that, thanks RangerWickett for an adventure path thats a bit different from the usual dungeon crawl/dungeon crawl/kill nasty outsider-god-demon-prince routine.

It really should've been out already, but holiday responsibilities hit our layout artist, and right now he's working to get it to us by Friday.

So yeah, just before Christmas.

Remove ads