• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Typo or deliberate?

DracoSuave

First Post
No... for it to persist requires that the power states that the blindness persists.

It does not. Sorry.

Sustaining a power causes the effect of the power to persist, as per the rules. Blindness is an effect of the power.

For all the bluster about 'conditions, conjurations, and zones' not one scrap of text has been provided to state that those effects are treated any differently than any other effect of the power regarding sustain. If you sustain, the power persists, and its effects persists. The rules are very clear on that.

For the blindness NOT to persist, there has to be a reason for the general rule not to apply, and no one has shown a scrap of text to indicate that it doesn't, nor has anyone shown a scrap of text to indicate there's some hidden nonspoken effect that is continued when a power is sustained.

Evidence for blindness persisting exists.
Evidence for it not persisting and some other quasieffect persisting instead does not exists.

Do you have a character that has this power, or is there some other reason you're so attached to that interpretation?

Nope, don't really play warlocks that much, so this is just intellectual exercise.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Update: according to CustServ, the only effect of sustaining the power is being able to fire the secondary attack- not blindness, which ends at the end of the turn as specified in the main body of the power's text- and that the attacks and sustaining are the same continuous minor action.

IOW, you CAN sustain it & attack, and still have a move & standard action left.

DracoSuave

First Post
Update: according to CustServ, the only effect of sustaining the power is being able to fire the secondary attack- not blindness, which ends at the end of the turn as specified in the main body of the power's text- and that the attacks and sustaining are the same continuous minor action.

According to CustServ, the blindness isn't contingent on it hitting.

They're not exactly batting 1000.

Where is this written in the power? I really wish explanations as to WHY this is came with these interpretation... otherwise, given CustHelp's track record, they're not an authority worth appealing to.

IOW, you CAN sustain it & attack, and still have a move & standard action left.

Well yes, that much is certain. Didn't think that was in dispute.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
According to CustServ, the blindness isn't contingent on it hitting.

So they're saying the blindness works as if the power had the line:

"Miss: bloodied foe is blinded."
Where is this written in the power?

The power's main text says the blindness ends at the end of your next turn. According to CustServ, since the "Sustain: minor" line is silent regarding the blindness, the only thing that happens when you sustain the power is what is written there, namely, gaining the Cha vs Will minor attacks.

Well yes, that much is certain. Didn't think that was in dispute.

Well, they actually botched it in their response to my DM, which prompted me to contact them again.:rant:

Nullzone

Explorer
If the target was blinded regardless of hit or miss, then that particular rider would be on an Effect: line.

As for the power as a whole, I read the intent to be that you make an attack against one target, which might blind them if they're already weak (though this is counter-intuitive to the power's other effects), and then simply have the ability to make followup attacks with a minor action until the end of the encounter.

So if I were to rewrite Crown of Stars just for clarity of wording, it would look something like this:

Crown of Stars
Flaring points of star-bright light encircle your head. With each gesture, a painful point of blue-white light leaps away in a halo of choking smoke toward one foe.
Daily - Arcane, Implement, Radiant
Standard Action Ranged 10
Target: One creature
Attack: Charisma vs. Reflex
Hit: 2d12 + Charisma modifier radiant damage. If target is bloodied, it is blinded until the end of your next turn.
Effect: Until the end of the encounter, you can use a minor action to make a secondary attack.
Secondary Target: One creature
Secondary Attack: Charisma vs. Will
Hit: The target takes damage equal to your Charisma modifier.

As for why the secondary is vs. Will, I have no idea. As for why only the primary blinds, well, a ring of brilliant energy would probably be bright enough to blind someone; a single bead of light less so. If I wanted to get more simulationist about it and make it a better power overall, I might make the initial attack a close burst (debating between 1 and 2) that could blind on the effect line; a ring of star-bright light around your head is probably bad for anybody standing nearby.

keterys

First Post
Sustaining a power causes the effect of the power to persist, as per the rules.
Sustaining a power does exactly what it says it does under sustaining: "A power’s description indicates what happens when you sustain it or let it lapse."

Blindness is an effect of the power.
Blindness is not listed as a sustained effect of the power. It's also worth note that you don't just randomly deal the damage of the power again, cause y'know, it's part of the power and sustaining should do that :)

Nope, don't really play warlocks that much, so this is just intellectual exercise.
Okay, good, then no one's game is in any way affected by your interpretation or exercise, so... moving on :)

It is amusing to look back at the PHB and all the ways in which powers were poorly written, but there's no need to argue over said bad writing I suspect.

Does make me wonder if sustain rules in general should be reviewed. Have they been mostly better in more recent books?

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Personally, I'm a lawyer, and it is my experience that any set of codified rules set over a certain size needs periodic review with an eye towards possible revision...usually with a note as to why the rule was revised.

So while it wouldn't be the most exciting product in the world, an annual rules update would be welcome by me. Perhaps as a softcover to keep costs down. It wouldn't even have to be a standalone- it could be included as a CD or flash drive with the first (or last) major release of the year.

MrMyth

First Post
All three powers here are errata'd or mid playtest so that they actually work. As written, they do not.

Hit/Effect: Do nonpersistant effect
Sustain blah: Do nonpersistant effect (save ends) is nonsense on so many levels... those powers are written broken.

The Compendium does not offer me any errata for these powers. Where have you seen this errata?

Radiant Pulse has no errata for it. Curse of the Dark Delirium remains unchanged after its Class Compendium article. Same goes for Doom of Delban.

You are correct that many of the powers that involved a Sustainable action you could take until the target Saved were pretty wonky. All of those received errata. None of them are the ones I have referenced, here.

They are only 'broken' by your interpretation of the rules. And, as show, we have an alternate interpretation, one which more closely adheres to what the rules say, matches the intent and description of these powers, and is more consistent with how the majority of powers work in the book.

It has to be. You cannot have the argument that the power persists without having the effect of that power persist. That blindness is an effect of the power. For it NOT to persist requires a specific exception, if the power is extended.

And the rules reference given in that section points explicitly to effects. Blindness is an effect of the power. Why are you only using half the rules?

Look, I've provided quotes. Please provide them as well, rather than just stating it is in there, so I can know exactly what you are referencing. I see nothing on page 59 that indicates that sustaining a power causes any effects of that power to persist.

In any case, what does page 59 say? "The “Sustain” entry tells you if a power has an effect that occurs when you take the action to sustain it".

In this case, the term effect is clearly NOT referring to any condition, zone or conjuration created by the power. Instead, it is referring to what occurs when the power is sustained.

Once more - nothing on page 59, at any point, indicates that any "effects", or conditions, or zones, or conjurations, in any way automatically persist when a power is sustained. All we are told is that sustaining a power causes the power itself to remain active, and that the specifics of what that means will be referenced in the Sustain entry itself.

On page 278, we do have rules that referring to sustaining the effects of a power. However, not that this applies, specifically, to "an effect that has a “sustain standard,” a “sustain move,” or a “sustain minor” duration".

How do we know if something has such a duration? Because the Sustain entry itself will reference that effect. Assuming that every single effect created by a sustainable power is automatically tied into the sustain entry... I admit, the rules could cetainly be clearer. But you are offering an interpretation that is neither explicitly stated in the rules, nor does it mesh well with how many powers work, so I'm inclined to dismiss it in favor of an interpretation that adheres more closely to the text, and fits more smoothly with the majority of powers.

However, the rules themselves mention that the effect persists. You do not need to write 'The effect persists' when the rules already tell you to do so. Mentioning redundancies does not disprove the rule, which you yourself have quoted and are choosing to ignore.

On page 59, I see nothing that indicates "The effect persists". Instead, I see rules that state that the Sustain entry will tell us what happens when it is sustained, and we are given some examples that involve effects persisting, and some examples that involve other events occuring.

As worded, this means that sustaining powers can cause effects to persist, but only when it explicitly says they do so. And, in the case where it does so, that means those effects have a Sustainable Duration, and thus are subject to the rules on page 278.

None of which have persistant effects, and all of which are undergoing the process of having them make sense.

Curse of the Dark Delirium, in the Warlock playtest, underwent no changes. Nor did Doom of Delban. Other problematic sustain powers did. That seems more like proof that they work just fine, and that the rules do not require sustainable powers to be 'tied' to any sort of persistable effect.

How do you 'Sustain Minor: do damage (save ends)'? What does that even mean?

It meant (originally), that until the target saves, you can spend a minor action to sustain the power and deal damage to them. It was absolutely a sloppy and ugly way to write a power, which is why all of those powers have been fixed.

None of the three powers I referenced, however, in any way works like that, so I'm not sure why you keep making an issue of it.

Which will extend the power's effect, as in the section on durations. The blindness is the power's effect. Therefore it is sustained. Is the blindness NOT the power's effect? If not, what is it an effect of?

In the section on durations, it details the rules for Effects with a Duration of Sustainable. The Blindness does not have such a duration. It has a duration of until the end of your next turn, and since it is not mention in the Sustain entry, it is not a sustainable duration, and thus not governed by the rules on page 278.

It is, yes, created by that power. But you are basically inserting a line into the rules that says, "All effects created by sustainable powers automatically have a sustainable duration."

The rules don't say that. Instead, they say, "Some powers are sustainable, and here are rules for that" and "Some effects are sustainable, and here are rules for that", and "In the sustain entry, we will tell you what sustaining that power actually means, and what effects of the power (if any) it sustains."

In most of those cases, the power in question doesn't do anything with a sustain action other than persist the effect. Placeholder text does not mean 'ignore the rules for sustaining' in other cases.

Again, where is the specific exception that lets you ignore the rule?

We are ignoring a rule that you have invented, not one actually in the rulebook itself.

Furthermore, in the vast majority of errata made to many of these powers, an effort was made to explicitly include that 'placeholder text' even alongside other elements specificed in the sustain entry.

The rules tell us that that text is not "placeholder text". It tells us that that line is what tells us how the power works. You can't simply assume that it should exist for all such powers, even if they don't include it in there. That assumption both defies the text of the rules themselves, as well as the standard format used by the vast majority of sustainable powers.

The same ruleset also tells you to extend the power's effect. Why are you only doing half of what the rules tell you to do?

If one rule says to do A, and another rule says to do B, and A and B are not contradictory, then you do A AND B.

Again, just to make my case clear here: I do not believe the rules "tell you to extend the power's effect". They tell us to only extend the effects of powers that are explicitly defined as sustainable within the power itself.

Nowhere does it state that all effects created by a sustainable power are automatically tied to the sustainability, and automatically persist when it is sustained.

On page 278, where it says, explicitly, that sustaining a power causes its effects to persist. Conditions, zones, and conjurations are the effects of a power that creates conditions, zones, and/or conjurations, ergo, they persist.

It says, explicitly, that sustaining a power causes any effects with a sustainable duration to persist. You still have not pointed to any location where it states that all effects of a sustainable power are automatically sustainable.

Probably, and that's to be expected. Lots of sustain powers got errata'd for a very good reason.

So your argument is that your interpretation, which results in a vast number of powers being broken - including a great many recent and/or already-errata'd powers, is more likely than the alternate interpretation, of which we have found all of... three broken powers, 2 of which have other issues going on, all out of the PHB?

(Actually, scratch that. I finally checked the Arcanist Playtest, rather than just the Compendium, and it does indeed fix Flaming Sphere and Bigby's Icy Grasp).

Again, the effort with errata is clear - make sure the Sustain entry explicitly says what is sustained and for how long.

You've fixated on conditions, zones, or conjurations as if they have specific rules that divorce them from being the effects of their power, or are special unique snowflakes in this regard.

The onus is on you to prove this point.

I've tried to avoid using the term 'effect' because it is a defined game-mechanical term involving what occurs for a power regardless of hit or miss, which is clearly not what it is being used to mean on page 278. I am references 'Conditions, Zones and Conjurations' because they are typically what is created by a power and what typically are made to persist via Sustain lines.

My point, regardless, stands. We are told that the Sustain entry will tell us what happens when a power is sustained. Nowhere do the rules state that any "effects" (whether conditions, zones, conjurations or whatever) are automatically made into persistent effects simply by virtue of being created by that power.

The presence of 'Sustain X' makes an effect a sustainable effect. There's no mythical 'sustainable non-effects' which is what you're trying to introduce into the game.

Ok, let's take a look at sustainable powers, and find some which feature effects that are clearly not intended to be made sustainable even though the power itself is. And let's start with powers from the most recent books, to make it clear this isn't some issue with early design not being properly figured out in the PHB.

[sblock]Heroes of Shadow:
Ravenous Shadows (Paladin 25) creates a Wall of Shadows that immobilizes enemies with an attack when it appears. The Sustain line says the wall persists and you can repeat the attack. Yet, by your interpretation, whether the repeated attack hits or misses, anyone initially immobilized by the power has it sustained as well anyway, correct?

Heroes of the Feywild
Cast in Stone (Druid 25) petrifies an enemy until the end of your next turn. If the target is still petrified, you can sustain the power as a standard action to repeat the attack against him. By your interpretation, regardless of whether you hit or miss, he will remain petrified. Yet that is clearly not the intent of the power - the intent is clearly to only keep him petrified on a hit, as otherwise there would be no reason to involve an attack roll! (And, for that matter, the power would be rather overpowered).

Choking Shadow (Wizard 17) creates a shadow conjuration that attack an enemy, immobilizing it on a hit. Sustaining it lets the shadow repeat the attack. Yet, again, by your logic, anyone initially immobilized by the shadow, regardless of whether future attacks hit or miss, will have the immobilization persist whenever you sustain the power.

Dark Sun
Caustic Rain (Shaman 25) creates a zone that the sustain effect can persist. It also starts with a large burst attack that can reduce an enemy's defenses and inflict ongoing 15 acid damage (save ends both). How does that save ends effect - an effect clearly created by the power - interact with the sustaining of the power? Does it renew it if they have saved already? Does it mean that if you don't sustain it, the effect goes away regardless of whether they have saved? Or what?

Other powers in the book with the exact same issue:
Magma Fissures (Smoking Crown Initiate 20), Rain Serpent Elemental (Rain Bringer 20), Indomitable Presence (Battlemind 19), Volcanic Circle (Shaman 15), Shrieking Wind Spirits (Shaman 5).

Dust Storm Binding (Shaman 1) is even better. If it hits, the enemy is blinded (save ends). On a miss, they take a -2 penalty to attacks until the end of your next turn. In addition, it creates a zone, which a sustain minor effect causes to persist. By your logic, however, sustaining it also causes that penalty on attacks, inflicted on a miss, to persist as well, correct?

Primal Power
Yet more Save Ends/Sustain interaction in Spiritblood Vines (Shaman 29), Whirling Firestorm (Druid 29), Earth Maw (Druid 29), Creeping Brambles (Warden 19), Clutching Mire (Druid 5).

Peacemaker's Lodge (Shaman 25) creates a zone that persists due to sustain. It also dazes on its initial attack, until the end of your next turn - or, by your interpretation, for as long as the caster chooses to sustain the power. Same with Creeping Doom (Druid 25),

Psionic Power
Save Ends/Sustain issues again with Ravenous Singularity (Psion 29), Far Realm's Embrace (Psion 25), Mind Rend (Arden 19), Inflicted Mindscape (Psion 5) and Invitation to Defeat (Arden 5).

PHB3
More Save Ends/Sustain issues in Blistering Aversion (Ardent 25), Vengeance Shroud (Rathmal 20), Perfect Prison (Psionic Binder 20), Rending Vines (Seeker 19), Crisis of Breath (Psion 19), Nature's Vengeance (Seeker 9), Agony Field (Ardent 9), Ensnaring Shot (Seeker 5)

Temporal Acceleration (Arden 19) has the same thing. On a hit, the target is slowed and can't shift (save ends). On a miss, the duration is instead until the end of your next turn. Also, it creates a zone you can sustain. By your interpretation, the sustain also makes the initial condition persist as well. If we assume that you can't persist a save ends effect after they save, that means the effect on a miss is much more potent, since you can keep it up indefinitely![/sblock]
So, even if you can come up with a way to resolve the (save ends)/sustain interaction (and I can't see any way to do so by your interpretation that doesn't involve ignoring large portions of the rules on page 278), we also have several powers who become incredibly potent when the initial conditions can be sustained indefinitely.

Along with 2-3 powers, in the most recent books, that (like Curse of Dark Delirium, the power you believe is 'undergoing revision) involve a sustain clearly aimed at giving a chance to renew the original effect, which would make no sense if those effects persisted automatically.

Really? Cause the rule says the existance of the line itself is your clue.

Do you have a quote on that? Cause I've got the following: "The “Sustain” entry tells you if a power has an effect that occurs when you take the action to sustain it." "A power’s description indicates what happens when you sustain it or let it lapse."

Where in the rules, explicitly, does it say that a power having a Sustain entry means all effects of that power are automatically tied to that Sustain entry?

It is certainly possible, and such a cause would have an explicit exception written into it. It would mention the specific effect to be sustained as that which was to be sustained.

However, this is not one of those cases: No exception is printed, so you must execute the applicable rules.

We have two examples in the Sustain entry and three powers in the PHB which feature that ability to Sustain a power without any effect itself persisting. Two of those powers have passed through the Class Compendium review process without being changed.

So, why do those powers not feature "an explicit exception" written into them?

DracoSuave

First Post
Awesome job, you've pointed out specific examples with specific exceptions to the general rule!

In other news, powers that don't have listed effects don't have those effects. I'd like to believe you that the power -itself- has an invisible effect, but you simply haven't shown it.

Don't you see how that's the counter argument? You have powers -from that templating time period- which say 'Effect: You are affected by the macguffin effect of power.......Sustain: The macguffin effect persists.'

You're introducing a macguffin effect on a power that does not have written a macguffin effect.

The only persistant effect the power has is the blindness... you have to invent new rules for the power to do its thing. You've done well at interpreting rules and making them read how you like; you haven't pointed out where this macguffin effect is created.

You want me to believe this effect exists? Show me it. Prove it exists. Otherwise, it does not, and we work with the only effect we DO have; the blindness, the effect of the power.

Thing is, back then, 'power' and 'effects of a power' were used interchangeably. They aren't now, and that's why you're confused about it. But, when that power was written, and those sustain rules were written... they were.

MrMyth

First Post
Ok, since I guess my last post was a bit too long to respond to any of the points I made directly, I'll try to condense my argument here:

A) Page 59, of the PHB, says that a power can be sustained. The defined result of sustaining the power is simply that by doing so you "keep that power active", and that the specifics of what this entails are told to you in the Sustain entry. We are given 5 examples, some of which demonstrate the Sustain effect being used to make effects persist, and some which do not do so.

B) Page 278, of the PHB, defines how you handle sustainable durations. At no point in the rules does it state that all effects caused by a power are inherent sustainable. Instead, it simply addresses how you handle effects that are sustainable. Again, it emphasizes that "A power’s description indicates what happens when you sustain it or let it lapse." Again, it focuses on the Sustain entry as the place where it defines what is and is not sustained. You have offered no evidence in the rules, anywhere, that would imply that all effects created by a power are inherently sustained by it.

B1) Indeed, we have the existence of multiple powers that do not have effects to even be sustained. (Radiant Pulse and Doom of Delban). You have not offered any reason for why these powers exist if, by your interpretation, the sustain action can never be taken for that.

B2) Additionally, we have powers, both new and old (Curse of the Dark Delirium, Ravenous Shadows, Cast in Stone) whose design inarguably indicates the designers do not expect the effects of that power to automatically persist when the power is sustained.

B3) Similarly, we have the existence of numerous powers whose Sustain entry specifies that sustaining the power causes a zone or aura or the like to persist. However, many of these powers also inflict conditions on enemies as well, and by your interpretation, sustaining the zones/etc will also automatically sustain the other conditions. In some cases, this simply leads to unbalanced powers; in others, it leads to a contradiction in terms of how to handle a duration that, by your claim, is simultaneously sustained and (save ends).

C) Finally, we have the perspective of the designers themselves, as demonstrated by the design of Sustained powers and the errata offered for early Sustained powers. In the vast majority of all cases, an effort has been made to indicate what effect persists when the power is sustained and for how long.

Conclusion:

I have provided direct quotes from the rules and a decent number of examples supporting my point. If you want me to accept your interpretation, all I ask is answers to the following questions:

1) Where in the rules does it explicitly state that when a power is sustained, all effects of that power automatically persist along with it?

2) How do you believe the rules interact for a sustainable power that includes (save ends) effects?

3) How do you explain the existence of powers like Radiant Pulse and Doom of Delban, or more recent powers like Cast in Stone? In short, why should we settle for an interpretation that involves accepting at least half-a-dozen powers as outright broken, and potentially dozens more, depending on your answer to question 2, above?

Remove ads