D&D 5E [Tyranny of Dragons] Various DM questions

So, I'm about to start DMing Tyranny of Dragons (man, that book is a true beauty) and I'm going to use this thread to post some questions that come up. I hope it's ok to pile it all in one thread, if not please let me know.

First of, what's up with those "half-black dragon" NPCs? I mean, besides the fact that I keep wondering "half-black? What's the other half colored? White?", more to the point: Are those what we call "Dragonborn" nowadays? I know that the initial two books were produced during D&D Next and were suffering from a few problems as rules changed for the final version of 5e. Is this also one of those?

Ah, indeed. I guess I could have looked that up myself. ;) Thanks. I will say, mechanically I don't see enough of a difference to make the distinction worthwhile, but lore-wise it seems clear enough. I'll be able to work with that. Thank you :)

Weiley31

Legend
Dragonborn and Half Dragon are basically two "different" things.

A Half Dragon is a being whose mom or dad got it on with a Dragon, because Dragons gonna Dragon, and pretty much can walk around while having scales, breath weapons, wings, etc. Your Pre Dragonborn before they were a thing.

Dragonborn, depending on your edition/home brew, are either artificial dragon-lites made from other races or an entire race born of dragons or something.

Ironically it's funny you were thinking a Half Dragon was a Dragonborn since I make the argument that a playable 5E Half Dragon is taking a Dragonborn and refluffing it as one.

Ok, so we've played 4 sessions now, finished chapter one last session. All went fairly well, I think. The party had a few rough encounters, though all things considered didn't have too hard a time. I still feel like I managed to convey the feeling of being in a town under attack by raiders and a dragon relatively well.

Now, as we had 4 very combat heavy sessions in a row, I'm trying to get more RP, conversation, stuff like that in next session. I already tried that last time, but didn't quite achieve the intended result. Maybe you guys can help me brainstorm some ideas?

Here's the party composition and background.

• A Firbolg druid, who's friends with Leosin and has been sent word, that he needs help
  • An elven Warlock, plagued by dreams of the world being destroyed by fire, cold, lightning, poison and acid. His patron is the Raven Queen
  • A Half-Elf ranger, who is childhood friends with Talis the White (though doesn't know about the "The White" part).
  • A insect-like monk (built on the Kalashtar from Eberron, but skinned as insectoid), who consideres Greenest a bit of a home after the people took her in.
  • A dwarf priest of Helm (Light), who also had the same dream as the warlock.
Now, I'll certainly have someone pass on to the Firbol that Leosin was captured during the raid - the party did save the temple, so probably the local priest. But beyond that?

I suppose, what I need most help with, is get better at making such RP encounters more than "someone tells you about Leosin being captured during the raid". "Cool. We go chase the raiders..." I mean.. how to I make RP encounters... better?

Larnievc

Hero
So, I'm about to start DMing Tyranny of Dragons (man, that book is a true beauty) and I'm going to use this thread to post some questions that come up. I hope it's ok to pile it all in one thread, if not please let me know.

First of, what's up with those "half-black dragon" NPCs? I mean, besides the fact that I keep wondering "half-black? What's the other half colored? White?", more to the point: Are those what we call "Dragonborn" nowadays? I know that the initial two books were produced during D&D Next and were suffering from a few problems as rules changed for the final version of 5e. Is this also one of those?
I turned them into Aurak draconians and had the whole rise of Tiamat actually the rise of Tiamat AND Takhisis from Krynn. And I had none of that travelling for weeks on end, either.

Larnievc

Hero
Ok, so we've played 4 sessions now, finished chapter one last session. All went fairly well, I think. The party had a few rough encounters, though all things considered didn't have too hard a time. I still feel like I managed to convey the feeling of being in a town under attack by raiders and a dragon relatively well.

Now, as we had 4 very combat heavy sessions in a row, I'm trying to get more RP, conversation, stuff like that in next session. I already tried that last time, but didn't quite achieve the intended result. Maybe you guys can help me brainstorm some ideas?

Here's the party composition and background.

• A Firbolg druid, who's friends with Leosin and has been sent word, that he needs help
  • An elven Warlock, plagued by dreams of the world being destroyed by fire, cold, lightning, poison and acid. His patron is the Raven Queen
  • A Half-Elf ranger, who is childhood friends with Talis the White (though doesn't know about the "The White" part).
  • A insect-like monk (built on the Kalashtar from Eberron, but skinned as insectoid), who consideres Greenest a bit of a home after the people took her in.
  • A dwarf priest of Helm (Light), who also had the same dream as the warlock.
Now, I'll certainly have someone pass on to the Firbol that Leosin was captured during the raid - the party did save the temple, so probably the local priest. But beyond that?

I suppose, what I need most help with, is get better at making such RP encounters more than "someone tells you about Leosin being captured during the raid". "Cool. We go chase the raiders..." I mean.. how to I make RP encounters... better?
I had the party discuss plans with the village bosses- my players are not very tactical and would have marched off in straight line on foot hoping to run into the camp without ever thinking about whee it might be. Locals could give them tips on the terrain and such. I also had a tinker in town who could sell some potions and oils, etc. Some of the locals had relatives captured and some of the locals want the PCs to stay and help. That gave my group enough to RP through until they set off.

Remove ads