• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

UA: Prestigous Classes mixed with Core Classes?

Angel Tarragon

Dawn Dragon
Just a quick question: would it be unbalancing to use a prestige paladin and a core paladin in the same campaign? I have a player with a character that has four levels of fighter and one level of cleric, and is about to go 6th level. He meets all the prereqs for the prestige paladin, and wants to take a level in it. The thing is I allow the core paladin in my game, but with a few mods. So, would it be unbalancing to allow both in the same campaign?

Last edited:

Tessarael

Explorer
I don't think it would be particularly unbalanced. To qualify for the prestige classes (Ranger, Paladin) you're going to take a small BAB hit to get your spellcasting. They will have better spellcasting than a normal Ranger or Paladin (at least in terms of range of spells), and certainly better long term (i.e. epic level) potential for spellcasting.

Li Shenron

Legend
UA suggests not to do so, but I think it's wrong. There are no problems in having both a core Paladin and a UA prestigious Paladin in the same group.

Maldur

First Post
What you might wanna do is banning players from mixing the two with the same character. But this is just a gut feeling, I have no idea what the math on this would be.

Last edited:

Li Shenron

Legend
Aust Diamondew said:
As others have said. It would not be unbalancing to have both, but IMHO I don't think it'd make a whole lot of sense either.

I would allow both at the same time because I see no problems in having different paladins in the world (and not that different...), but then I also allow UA variant classes alongside the core versions. I guess it's just a matter of preference.

Frostflame

First Post
I do not see the problem in useing the prestigeclass, give it another name and it should still be as balanced as before. The palladin is balanced with the other PC classes and since the prestigeclass is balanced based on those classes it should be balanced with paladins as well. As said before I still wouldn't use the paladin core and prestigeclass in one character though.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads