• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

[UA] Question on gestalt characters...

RigaMortus

Explorer
Can you multi-class with a Gestalt character?

Can I be a Wizard/Cleric then multi into a Psion? Then take Mystic Theurge/Cerebremancer? Then every time you level, you get 2 casting levels in Wizard, 1 in Cleric and 1 in Psion?

pfloyd

The Dude Abides
I don't think it quite works that way.

First off, you can multiclass as a gestalt, after a fashion. When you level, you just choose two classes to take a level in.
However, you take the best progression out of the two classes. So no, you wouldn't get the 2 levels in wizard.
Mystic Theurge is highly discouraged under the gestalt rules, as it would be much too powerful.

mikebr99

Explorer
RigaMortus said:
that's what the rules are there for...
RigaMortus said:
Can I be a Wizard/Cleric then multi into a Psion?
Sure... either the wizard or the cleric half stops progressing.
RigaMortus said:
Then take Mystic Theurge/Cerebremancer? Then every time you level, you get 2 casting levels in Wizard, 1 in Cleric and 1 in Psion?
Well, this isn't legal... unless your DM says it is...

Mike

Cyberzombie

Explorer
They specifically state that you can multiclass all the base classes you want. You can be a fighter/rogue the first level and a ranger/hexblade the next, if you want (and have the alignment qualifications to match).

The prestige classes, however, were NOT designed with the gestalt rules in mind. It is easy, as in your example, to create situations where the characters would become way too powerful, even for a gestalt character. That would be okay if everyone in the party was totally munched out, but it's utterly unfair if only one character is.

In a Gestalt campaign, you definitely want to carefully consider any PrC before you allow it. But even Mystic Theurge *could* be okay, as long as the character's other class isn't gaining spellcasting levels in the same classes. Say a Mystic Theurge/Dragon Disciple. Disgustingly powerful, yes, but no more so than a barbarian/rogue (raging sneak attacks! Owww!!!!!!)

Li Shenron

Legend
RigaMortus said:

Can I be a Wizard/Cleric then multi into a Psion? Then take Mystic Theurge/Cerebremancer? Then every time you level, you get 2 casting levels in Wizard, 1 in Cleric and 1 in Psion?

UA says not to allow 2 prestige classes to be taken at the same level, but that 2 core classes or 1 core class and 1 prestige class are fine. It also explicitly mention that prestige classes which already combine the features of two core classes, such as Eldritch Knight or Mystic Theurge should be disallowed.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads