• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

UA Ranger Companion Proficiency Bonus Question

joshinminn

Explorer
I have a fifth level ranger with a panther companion, Beast Conclave. In the keeping track of proficiency call out box it says that the proficiency bonus applies to attack bonus and damage rolls. Does that mean that the +4 to hit on bite and claw attacks are both +7, adding the +3 proficiency bonus? Damn, that's intense if true.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Blue

Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal
It replaces the beast's proficiency, not adds to it. Basically, the beasts you can pick all have a proficiency of +2. So the proficiency of a 5th level ranger is +3 (not +4), so the beast has an extra +1 to attacks (for the difference), and +3 to AC and damage (because proficiency normally doesn't add to them). Skills and saves it varies if they have proficiency added in already.

Puutuulion

First Post
I had posted this table, but I think it got lost in the database reset. All companions with their proficiency bonus, per the monster manual.

Attack to-hit bonus: Proficiency + ability modifier
Attack damage bonus: ability modifier
DC of ability saving throw: 8 + proficiency + ability modifier

NamePROFAttack TypeAbility DC Check
Ape2STR
Baboon2STR
Badger2Finesse
Bat0N/A
Black Bear1* (should be 2)STR
Blood Hawk2Finesse
Boar2STRSTR
Cat2STR
Crab2STR
Deer2STR
Eagle2Finesse
Frog0N/A
Giant Badger2STR
Giant Crab2STRSTR
Giant Fire Beetle2STR
Giant Rat2Finesse
Giant Weasel2Finesse
Goat2STRSTR-1* (replace with STR)
Hawk2Finesse
Hyena2STR
Jackal2STR
Lizard2STR
Mastiff2STRSTR
Mule2STR
Octopus2FinesseSTR (MIN ZERO)
Owl2Finesse
Panther2STRSTR
Quipper2Finesse
Rat2STR
Raven2FinesseWIS
Sea Horse0N/A
Spider2FinesseCON
Stirge2Finesse
Vulture2Finesse
Weasel2Finesse
Wolf2FinesseSTR

Puutuulion

First Post
I had posted this table, but I think it got lost in the database reset. All companions with their proficiency bonus, per the monster manual.

I also had this disclosure: Bats, Frogs, and Sea Horses may have a proficiency bonus of +2, but the MM does not indicate. Because they cannot attack, this would only be significant only if one of those animals made a skill check, which would be a somewhat unusual circumstance. As a Ranger Companion, their native proficiency is irrelevant because you don't have to back-calculate anything.

Blue

Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal
[MENTION=6860977]Puutuulion[/MENTION], the OP was asking about the new UA Ranger, which only allows ape, black bear, boar, giant badger, giant weasel, mule, panther and wolf. All of them are +2 proficiency.

Puutuulion

First Post
@Puutuulion, the OP was asking about the new UA Ranger, which only allows ape, black bear, boar, giant badger, giant weasel, mule, panther and wolf. All of them are +2 proficiency.

My list includes the listed companions and all companion options per UA Ranger rule-of-thumb guidelines, per the UA itself:

"Expanding Companion Options Depending on the nature of your campaign, the DM
might choose to expand the options for your animal
companion. As a rule of thumb, a beast can serve as an
animal companion if it is Medium or smaller, has 15 or
fewer hit points, and cannot deal more than 8 damage
with a single attack. In general, that applies to creatures
with a challenge rating of 1/4 or less, but there are
exceptions. "

Remove ads