• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E UA Ranger in STK - play report

Blue

Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal
So, we hit 7th. STK normally goes up to 10 or 11, but our DM has said to ignore that it will go up to where it will go up - could be higher or lower. Considering that the DM seems to be feeding us XP when we went off the rails and aimed at what is likely a later part of the adventure because of my tracking and ranger features, I wouldn't expect it to be lower, so 10-12 level seems likely as the ending place.

There's a good argument for grabbing a level of rogue. I've got the stats to multiclass. I'll get another skill, likely acrobatics, athletics, investigation or deception. I'll get Expertise in two skills, which while perception is always a great pick, Survival for better tracking and Stealth for getting surprise rounds are both really tempting. 1d6 of Sneak Attack is a touch more damage, but not a big deal vs. the sacks of HPs we've been fighting, that's the least interesting part of it. One less HP for the level is no big deal.

I could also multiclass cleric, druid, fighter or monk. (We have a cleric and a monk in the party, so those are not likely.) Garreck has already been established as worshiping Gwaeron Windstrom (tracking), who has the domains of Knowledge and Nature according to SCAG.

Fighter gives a bunch of goodies, and then I could go for either Battlemaster or the Scout from the UA article if I wanted to continue. Scout overlaps with Natural Explorer, but the killer use would be the ability to spend superiority dice as a reaction to add to AC, and give resistance even if it hits. Considering that we're so far up against big-damage foes, that seems like a nice bonus.

The opportunity cost for this level is not getting one of the Defensive features, which are okay but not great, and an additional 2nd level slot + 1 spell known. Technically I'm using all of my 2nd level slots every day, but only because I'm giving out Darkvision for watches.

But the greater opportunity cost is pushing everything back. 8th is fleet of foot, not as useful since I already have use for a bonus action but not bad, and more importantly an ASI, which either brings my Dex to 20 or gives me Sharpshooter.

SS is likely the more optimal choice considering the low AC/high HPs of giants, but the two new players at the table have effective but less optimized builds then the original characters and I want to stay in scale with the rest of the party to keep it fun for all.

9th would bring up 3rd level spells, but I'm not salivating for any of them. Conjure Animals would slow down the table, Conjure Barrage moves from my great to-hit to a meh Dex save, and only averages 13.5 even on a fail. With my high rate of attacks and good damage, it's situational if it's better. (Same for Volley feature at 11th.) Lightning Arrow has some of the same problems though it only costs my bonus action attack. Wind Wall is little help vs. giants and their thrown boulders. Plant Growth or Protection from Energy aren't bad, but I already have Spike Growth and Absorb Energy (EE). Flame Arrows from EE is my likely pick. Cast it pre-combat - it's the damage of Hunter's Mark but without need for bonus actions to apply and change. But it won't stack with HM's since they are both concentration. (Hmm, I also need to remember that HM cast with a 3rd level slot can last up to 8 hours, which is nicer then the 12 shot max of Flame Arrow.)

So, what are your thoughts?

Blue

Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal
The skills are definitely nice. One extra skill and expertise in two skills.

Knowledge is one of the two domains of Gwaeron Windstrom, and that gives two INT skills with expertise. One is Nature, which I was not trained in, so that could also be a big win. Plus the Guidance cantrip for boosts to all my tracking. Bless is odd. I have the highest bonus to hit already and I don't want SS because it will take me out of the optimization range of the party. So I'd be giving up Hunter's Mark (or Spike Growth) for boosting three other weapon attackers. Not sure that's the direction I want.

Fighter has only a bit at 1st, but at 2nd gets action surge that works with advantage to attack first round of combat, and if I go to 3rd Battlemaster has some amazing abilities. Impose the Frightened condition? Wow.

Hard choices if I multiclass.

Remove ads