UA to Become Weekly! Pendleton Ward Helped On New AP!

WotC is currently at Gamehole Con, a convention in the US Midwest. According to a GameholeCon attendee at one of WotC's D&D panels, featuring Jeremy Crawford, Chris Perkins, and Mike Mearls, Unearthed Arcana (Mike Mearl's monthly rules column) is going to become a weekly column. Not only that, Sage Advice will be pausing for a while while Jeremy Crawford joins Mearls on the UA columns. There will be a new Unearthed Arcana every Monday, with the next being three new barbarian options.

WotC is currently at Gamehole Con, a convention in the US Midwest. According to a GameholeCon attendee at one of WotC's D&D panels, featuring Jeremy Crawford, Chris Perkins, and Mike Mearls, Unearthed Arcana (Mike Mearl's monthly rules column) is going to become a weekly column. Not only that, Sage Advice will be pausing for a while while Jeremy Crawford joins Mearls on the UA columns. There will be a new Unearthed Arcana every Monday, with the next being three new barbarian options.

WotC's Chris Perkins also said that "The next D&D story is *not* based on Adventure Time. However, Pendleton Ward did help us create it." Ward is, of course, the creator of the US cartoon Adventure Time.

hora-de-aventuras.png

CwbuBdMXUAE8pKB.jpg

Photo courtesy of @BasementofDeath
SaveSave

dave2008

Legend
That's basically a non-apology apology. The "I'm sorry, but it's your fault that I'm sorry," kind of take-back.

But whatever.

Somehow you seem to have missed the point again: his post was about the fact the UA material is play test material, for review, comment, discussion, etc. It doesn't mater whether or not the ranger was well received.

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
Out of interest, what forums? I browse several, and the majority of the feedback I've seen is broadly positive. I'm curious what I might be missing.
The Reddit and /tg feedback I've seen is also positive, and the twitter feedback is mostly positive. At worst, I see variations of "I don't want Favored enemy to be a damage bonus/exist/be this broad/etc", usually paired with a positive statement about the class in general. Or suggestions to move the combat benefits of natural explorer to a higher level for the sake of MC balance.

I mean, I guess you could interpret "the phb ranger is fine" as negative feedback on the UA ranger, but only if you want to do so.

Cyber-Dave

Explorer
And you in turn "mischaracterize" my words by implying I was only referencing the feedback from these forums. There are other forums and discussion mediums than this community and I never even implied that I was only talking about these forums, and neither did you, until now.

On these forums? Maybe, I haven't done a qualitative analysis of the data.

I think you need to expand your horizons beyond these boards if you think that the majority of feedback on it is positive.

1) If you were referencing the feedback from more sources than these forums, does that change the macrological content of what I wrote? Does having referenced sources outside these forums change the actual character of your post and my response? Because, if not, you are creating a semantic argument to hide just how illogical your statements are overall. Again, I said, "the UA articles are part of the quality control process, and more UA articles are probably an indication that they are gearing up towards an official, quality-controlled release filled with game mechanics beyond those found in adventure paths." Your response was, "the UA articles are not balanced, and so have not been quality-controlled." Do you understand that your response is a non-sequitur? I mean, sure, you didn't actually say anything about your observation only being rooted in these forums. Focusing on that, however, is just as irrelevant as if I focused on the fact that an analysis of what percentage of the player base holds what general opinion is a quantitative, not qualitative, analysis. Who cares? It doesn't change the general content of either of our positions.

2) I say, "on these boards," as otherwise, we have no common frame of reference. Neither of us has any idea what the other person has or hasn't seen on the internet at large. We can only be certain that both of us are aware of these boards. Trying to pretend that there is some other mysterious arena in which our opinion is the majority opinion is an illusory discussion tactic. I mean, the opinions on these boards seem to be congruous with the opinion found on every Reddit discussion and fan blog I have seen as well, but if you want to provide evidence of a common negative opinion in regards to the ranger, be my guest. Maybe there is a section of the internet that believes otherwise. I don't know. Again, however, it's kind of irrelevant, as you are still trying to ignore the fact that your original statement is not connected with what I wrote. Maybe we have seen very different tenors of feedback in regards to the UA ranger. Does that somehow change the fact that the UA articles and their subsequent polls are part of the quality control process?

That's basically a non-apology apology. The "I'm sorry, but it's your fault that I'm sorry," kind of take-back.

But whatever.

You are right. Let me be more explicit. Unless you change your debate tactics, which so far amount to misquoting me, arguing against a strawman, trying to steer our discussion into a debate that isn't grounded in the post you quoted, and then hiding behind semantics to continue to ignore the way the argument you are trying to foster isn't actually grounded in the post you originally quoted, I'm not actually sorry. The second you stop doing that, I probably will be, and then we can discuss things in good faith.

Last edited by a moderator:

doctorbadwolf

Anyone else ever think about how this is literally what being ina room with the founding fathers was like? I mean, different grammar, more needlessly complex analogies and such, but otherwise...every time one of these little semantical debates crops up I just think about Jefferson and Hamilton, or Adams and...well, everyone.

Anyone else ever think about how this is literally what being in a room with the founding fathers was like? I mean, different grammar, more needlessly complex analogies and such, but otherwise...every time one of these little semantical debates crops up I just think about Jefferson and Hamilton, or Adams and...well, everyone.

So do you think that back then when they were all gathered together to sign the Declaration of Independence, that someone there was trying to troll Jefferson as hard as people do around here? lol

doctorbadwolf

So do you think that back then when they were all gathered together to sign the Declaration of Independence, that someone there was trying to troll Jefferson as hard as people do around here? lol
Have you ever read any of those jerks letters?

I guarantee you Hamilton and Jefferson trolled eachother like Phili was 4chan. Guarantee.

And Like I said, Adams? Hyper troll. Like, superb linguistic skill, insults you don't get until hours later, the whole 9.

Not to mention, Franklin!

I mean, when he wasn't busy having orgies in Paris, obviously. Lol

Parmandur

Book-Friend
The latest Ranger Playtest only needs a couple tweaks, then it's pretty good.

Yeah, they were probably more interested to see if people liked the vibe, as more "ranger-y.". The mechanics they can fine tune, but they want to know if the overall gestalt flavor works. I think it did, pretty well.

Dualazi

First Post
Pretty happy with this announcement, I liked the UA ranger quite a bit so I hope they bring more of that to their new offerings, and the weekly release will hopefully get them more feedback before the inevitable product launch. I do hope that they push the design envelope some, since now would be the time to do it.

Remove ads

Remove ads