• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

UFC 97 Predictions

papa_laz

First Post
Hey guys, the thread on the influence of martial arts on RPG's got me wondering how many fight fans we have on these forums? What are your picks for this event? I'm only going to look at the main card, which features the following fights.

* Middleweight Championship bout: Anderson Silva vs. Thales Leites
The Spider has been unstoppable in the UFC so far, and I don't see him losing this fight either. And after the disappointment of the Cote fight I'm sure Anderson is looking for a spectacular knockout. I predict a second round TKO of Leites at the hands of Silva.

* Light Heavyweight bout: Chuck Liddell vs. Mauricio Rua
After Rua's woeful performance against a near geriatric Mark Coleman I can't see how he can defeat the Iceman. The Brazilians cardio was terrible during his last fight, and he gassed halfway into the second round, which could have had devastating consequences had Coleman not gassed at the end of the first round. I can't see how Rua's conditioning could have improved enough to survive 3 rounds with Liddell. I predict Liddell KO'ing an exhausted Rua in the third.

* Heavyweight bout: Cheick Kongo vs. Antoni Hardonk
Hardonk has yet to prove himself against the big boys in the cage, but he has a good chance against Kongo who seems to lack KO power. Hardonk is renowned for his leg kicks, and I expect him to utilise them against the Frenchman. It wouldn't surprise me if Kongo tried to take this fight to the ground to neutralise Hardonk's power, though I'm not sure which of these two is the better grappler. I'm giving the decision to the underdog Hardonk who will win via a more powerful and technical striking game.

* Light Heavyweight bout: Steve Cantwell vs. Luiz Arthur Cane
Cantwell is a young and relatively green fighter, having only fought once before in the UFC. Cane has 2 wins and 1 loss by disqualification in the octagon, both wins coming against highly rated opponents. I expect Cane to outbox Cantwell for a 2nd round KO.

* Light Heavyweight bout: Krzysztof Soszynski vs. Brian Stann
Soszynski's striking game has looked proficient but Stann has more than proven himself with his run of victories in the WEC. I expect this to be a close and action packed fight with a decision victory going to Soszynski.

I'd like to hear your thoughts on these predictions.

papa_laz

First Post
How did I go?

* Middleweight Championship bout: Anderson Silva vs. Thales Leites
Prediction: Silva to Win by TKO round 2
Result: Silva wins by decision

* Light Heavyweight bout: Chuck Liddell vs. Mauricio Rua
Prediction: Liddell to win by KO round 2
Result: Rua wins by TKO round 1

* Heavyweight bout: Cheick Kongo vs. Antoni Hardonk
Prediction: Hardonk to win by decision
Result: Kongo wins by TKO round 2

* Light Heavyweight bout: Steve Cantwell vs. Luiz Arthur Cane
Prediction: Cane to win by KO round 2
Result: Cane wins by decision

* Light Heavyweight bout: Krzysztof Soszynski vs. Brian Stann
Prediction: Soszynski to win by decision
Result: Soszynski wins by Submission (kimura) round 1

Not too bad, picked 3/5 winners. But I think everyone was surprised by Rua's victory. How did others go?

Well, I have to admit, I've just started to get into MMA. I was, however, surprised that Liddell lost in round 1. I had him winning in round 1 or 2 myself. On one of the (other) boards I frequent, they were saying that he should just hang up his gloves for good. I don't think it's that bad just yet. :)

papa_laz

First Post
I personally think he should retire, because I don't think he can hang with top 10 fighters anymore, and it would be sad to see him end up like Ken Shamrock, fighting bums in sideshows. But I also thought Dana White was extremely disrespectful when he announced Chucks retirement for him. Sure if Dana doesn't want him in the UFC anymore that's fine, but to say he will never fight again in any organisation is ridiculous. It is entirely Chucks choice. In fact I would love to see him go fight some up and comers in Affliction just to stick it up Dana White. It would give Affliction some major selling power and hopefully make Dana White pay for his years of arrogance and unprofessional behaviour.

Remove ads